This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

A Better Baking Powder

RiceGuy

RiceGuy Collaborator

Hi all.

I recently found it practically impossible to get quick-breads, biscuits, etc to rise properly, as discussed in Open Original Shared Link. Though the company insists they didn't change the formula for their baking powder, it's the only thing I can figure might have changed. And while Rumford's didn't ever work as well as I had wished, it sure beat the more recent results.

Anyway, I was therefore on a quest for a better baking powder. I reasoned that if only the CO2 gas was released in the oven, it would work. Rumford's produces the reaction on contact with water, and this seems to be too soon, at least for gluten-free baking. After much digging, and some queries with the Rep at Clabber Girl Corp (makers of Rumford), I concluded that all along I've been using the wrong baking powder. Rumford's product is based on monocalcium phosphate, but a more ideal baking powder would be one based on sodium acid pyrophosphate. Such a product requires heat to get the reaction, thus there wouldn't be all the wasted CO2 during mixing. Obviously, the wet ingredients should not be warm.

Thankfully, there is such a baking powder, which also happens to have non-GMO cornstarch as does the Rumford product. To my surprise, the brand is Bob's Red Mill! Though they don't claim non-GMO cornstarch, it turns out to be anyway. It also has a small amount of monocalcium phosphate, which is why they call it double-acting. I don't see any reason why we'd need any leavening before the dough goes in the oven, so maybe it's a marketing thing. I was unable to find any such baking powder without cornstarch, and buying pure sodium acid pyrophosphate isn't practical unless you can afford a 50lb bag.

Using Bob's baking powder, I got great results immediately. Never has it been so easy to get gluten-free stuff to rise. I'm sure this will also solve the gooey pancake issue. It should work well for dumplings too. This is one Bob's Red Mill product I definitely recommend!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

missy'smom Collaborator

Thanks for the research and report back. I use Rumford because it's non-aluminum. Is the Bob's non-aluminum as well?

RiceGuy Collaborator
Thanks for the research and report back. I use Rumford because it's non-aluminum. Is the Bob's non-aluminum as well?

Yes, Bob's is non-aluminum too! Thanks, I forgot to mention that.

Cheri A Contributor

Very interesting! I read your other thread, but didn't have any helpful advice to help you. I'm glad that you found something to work for you! Maybe I'll pick some up and do a trial myself.

JennyC Enthusiast

Hmm...interesting. I thought all baking powder was the same. :rolleyes: I use Clabber Girl, maybe I should try BRM.

RiceGuy Collaborator
Very interesting! I read your other thread, but didn't have any helpful advice to help you. I'm glad that you found something to work for you! Maybe I'll pick some up and do a trial myself.

Yeah, it really does work great. I just made a muffin tonight, and it rose like never before! Truly light and fluffy. If it had been Rumford, it would have either not risen, or there'd be a big air pocket inside, with goo at the bottom.

I'm already finding that my recipes work like they should. I don't have to overcompensate, or rush to get it mixed and into the oven. I haven't noticed any funny taste from it either.

I'm sure you'll get noticeably better results as well!

RiceGuy Collaborator
Hmm...interesting. I thought all baking powder was the same. :rolleyes: I use Clabber Girl, maybe I should try BRM.

Doesn't Clabber Girl baking powder have aluminum?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AndreaB Contributor

I will definately keep this in mind......Thanks! :D

Archived