This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Restless Leg Syndrome

mustluvcats

mustluvcats Rookie

Hi Everyone:

I'm new here. I have been gluten free for 2 weeks tomorrow. I havn't been formally diagnosed with Celiac diease yet, but I already seem to be at least gluten sensitive. I was having trouble with restless leg syndrome along with a lot of other things, prior to my gluten free diet. My restless leg syndrome disapeared within two days of going on the diet. Has anyone else had this problem? I am amazed at how different I feel in just a short time. I'm also amazed at all the different items wheat is present in. Things you wouldn't even suspect, if you didn't read the label.

I was feeling like I was given a death sentence, trying to get a way from gluten, wheat. It makes going out to dinner such a chore. Thank heavens there a few Restaurants that have GIG menus.

Does anyone have any suggestions for good bread? The one I tried sucked big time.

Regards,

Jayne

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

elonwy Enthusiast

I totally would get restless leg, and still get it when accidently glutened. Do not miss that at all.

On the bread... might I suggest not jumping head first into the substitutes? Give yourself a chance to forget what the "real" thing tastes like. I waited a while, because I couldn't find things, I find the farther I get from the memory of something, the more I like the subsitute. May sound wierd, but it works. I like Kinnikinnick myself, though its harder to find. The whole foods bakery is good too. I do not like any of the other pre-made loaf breads, and I cannot eat any of them without toasting them.

My best experience has been with baking bread using Bette Hagman's recipes and flour blends, though I usually don't go through that effort just because I have a tiny kitchen and baking is a big pain.

When I first went gluten-free, I was feeling really bad. I splurged on gluten free mac and cheese and pasta and things, and then had to slow down cause I was eating so much rice I blocked myself up. Once I balanced out and gave myself the breads and things as treats, it got much better. (for me and my pocket book)

Hopefully my ramblings are helpful.

jerseyangel Proficient

Restless leg has also been linked to anemia--which is common with Celiac. I had restless legs for years, and it stopped after I went gluten-free--I was also severly anemic.

2plustwins Rookie

It is funny that you mention RLS. I have not had any symptoms since going gluten-free a few weeks ago. YEA! Just another thing I can add to the positives of being Gluten Free!

Cherry Tart Apprentice

I just realized after reading this post that I used to have RLS before going gluten-free. I never put 2 and 2 together. I always just assumed that I was an "active sleeper" :lol: Since going gluten-free, the RLS has disappeard, thank goodness!

• 3 months later...
Ruth76 Newbie

Soooo glad that you wrote that Jayne!

Anemia is a point, but I don't think it's just Anemia. There must be something different which plays a role!

I have been gluten-free for 2 years now and last week my doctor put me on a gluten-containing diet for 6 days and 10 hours and 29 minutes to do a test.

I had it all back at once: RLS, depressions, problems with my concentration during work, skin-problems etc :(.

There's lots of work to do concerning research!!!

You asked for a good bread:

the rice-bread from Trader Joes. I like it, because it's very sweet.

Try perhaps whole foods gluten-free breads, if there is one in your area.

I have always the problem that everything has sugar in it, since I'm also Fructose-intolerant...so I can't recommend anything edible for non-FIs, sorry!

wowzer Community Regular

I used to get that reaction before going gluten free. I don't miss it either.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 6 months later...
katebuggie28 Apprentice

I have had RLS all of my life (as far as I can remember) I had it pretty bad. I had no idea that celiac disease caused it until today. I have been gluten-free for 6 days ( a few mishaps unknowingly) Loking back on the past few days my RLS has been nonexistant. I am self dx, and I haven't been eating much at all, so I don't know if i am anemiac or not. gluten-free has apparently helped with my RLS! That makes me happy. :P

• 2 weeks later...
NYJanice Newbie

I thought I was the only one who found that RLS disappeared on a gluten free diet. That alone makes it worth being vigilent.

suzie/mamaw Newbie

:huh: I became gluten free a couple of years ago, and I still have rls... Nobody can come up with an answer.. I take my vitamins, stay away from all gluten... but I wake up with it every morning and go to bed with it at night...

. Oh woah is me ..

• 4 months later...
one more mile Contributor

I had RLS also. I do get it from time but only when I am up way to late.

My doctor was telling me that it was from diabetes nerve damage, while I tested in and out of diabetes.

Never a big bread eater I like to use rice cakes to make sandwiches.

one more mile

henny Explorer

wow....I am on my second week gluten-free and am just realizing I haven't had RLS since I started....

this is unreal! (In a good way!)

knitaddict Apprentice

I never realized that RLS and anemia were linked. THAT explains a LOT...the anemia was one of the first things that popped up for me. Ugh---I've had RLS for YEARS...then again...I've been anemic for year too! Ugh. :rolleyes:

chuckybaby Rookie
I never realized that RLS and anemia were linked. THAT explains a LOT...the anemia was one of the first things that popped up for me. Ugh---I've had RLS for YEARS...then again...I've been anemic for year too! Ugh. :rolleyes:

I was diagnosed with severe anemia a month ago. It was so bad I was immediately sent to the ER and admitted. They had to give me 4 units of blood. I had restless leg before the transfusion but have not had it since. They gave me the Celiac panel and it came out negative...The CT scan shows a very large hiatal hernia...undergoing capsule and upper endoscopy to try and confirm if I have Celiac's or not.

Live2BWell Enthusiast

I have RLS also; I have noticed that being gluten free helps tremendously with RLS; I have also found that when my Hashimotos flares up (autoimmune thyroid disorder) then my RLS gets much worse. Interesting topic!

• 1 month later...
aliciatakescare Newbie

good evening all:

i had rls as well until going gluten free. also, i have been chronically anemic (since birth actually) and just take ferrus fumerate (gluten-free of course) 3 times a day with no more rls and my anemia is well-conrolled. I agree on the bread: Kinni Kwick is my favorite.

Hi Everyone:

I'm new here. I have been gluten free for 2 weeks tomorrow. I havn't been formally diagnosed with Celiac diease yet, but I already seem to be at least gluten sensitive. I was having trouble with restless leg syndrome along with a lot of other things, prior to my gluten free diet. My restless leg syndrome disapeared within two days of going on the diet. Has anyone else had this problem? I am amazed at how different I feel in just a short time. I'm also amazed at all the different items wheat is present in. Things you wouldn't even suspect, if you didn't read the label.

I was feeling like I was given a death sentence, trying to get a way from gluten, wheat. It makes going out to dinner such a chore. Thank heavens there a few Restaurants that have GIG menus.

Does anyone have any suggestions for good bread? The one I tried sucked big time.

Regards,

Jayne

• 2 months later...
socwkr Newbie
:huh: I became gluten free a couple of years ago, and I still have rls... Nobody can come up with an answer.. I take my vitamins, stay away from all gluten... but I wake up with it every morning and go to bed with it at night...

. Oh woah is me ..

I also have had RLS and have Celiac. What I found is that since I take digestive enzymes, my RLS has disappeared. I take them because I had my gallbladder removed because of gallstones and the next day I developed Celiac! Can you believe it. Must have had the gene and the surgery triggered the onset of the disease. This is what the GI doctor said. So it's harder for me to break down my food.

I remember watching a medical show where these doctors discussed RLS and talked about how, while blood plasma levels of iron may be normal, the iron levels in the brain are low. I believe this is because iron may not be digested and available to cross the blood-brain barrier. This is my opinion, of course. So, try digestive enzymes, available at any healthfood store. They are natural and I've not read any side effects. They help me tremendously!.

mamabear Explorer

I have a kind of restless leg syndrome, but it is not classic. I don't just need to move my legs; they have muscle groups that twitch and contract. Occurs at rest or during the day. It may also lead to a full blown charley horse type of cramp. Usually happens in my calves but can be anywhere on my body. Since it's been going on for 7 1/2 years , I no longer fear ALS or similar diseases. I am getting the EMG/NCV this week so I may learn more . I had low iron and ferritin years ago, but it's been well corrected after the gluten-free diet and has had no improvement on my legs. Exercise seems to make it less likely.

Anybody else?

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi mamabear :D

Yes, I continue to have muscle cramps in my feet and calves at night while in bed--never during the day. Stretching my legs often will cause it, and sometimes if my feet aren't in the "right" position in bed, I get a cramp in my arch.

No restlessness anymore, though.....and my iron continues to be excellent :)

mamabear Explorer
Hi mamabear :D

Yes, I continue to have muscle cramps in my feet and calves at night while in bed--never during the day. Stretching my legs often will cause it, and sometimes if my feet aren't in the "right" position in bed, I get a cramp in my arch.

No restlessness anymore, though.....and my iron continues to be excellent :)

Hey Jersey Angel!

I have been curious about how much neuropathy is present, so I guess I'll find out soon. Plain muscle cramps shouldn't be neuropathic, so this is a scientific experiment!!! Medieval torture, I hear.......but I'm game. :D

Archived