This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Mysteriously Glutened By Amy's Kitchen?

Guest BERNESES

Guest BERNESES

OK- This is twice now that I have had a reaction to an Amy's gluten-free dinner. The first was the rice mac 'n cheese which after the fact, much to my chagrin, I looked on the BACK of the box because someone here said that if you read it, it says processed in a plant that also processes wheat. OK, I thought maybe it was the lactose then since the mac has cheese.

So I wait two weeks and yesterday, I ate Amy's gluten-free/ DF Shepherd's Pie which does NOT have that label on the back nor does it have dairy. Sick as a dog again- I hadn't even recovered from the first time yet! If you go to their website, it says a general blanket statement that SOUNDS LIKE, yes, we love our Celiac friends but the plant also processes wheat so we make no guarantees. No, if that were the case, why would they label some of their products with the CC warning and not others?

If it is Amy's, and I'm pretty sure it is, I'm going to be REALLY disappointed because I love their foods and I had respect for their company.

Has anyone else been glutened by an Amy's product without the CC warning? As many of you know, I am micro-sensitive. Thanks, Beverly

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
VydorScope Proficient
OK- This is twice now that I have had a reaction to an Amy's gluten-free dinner. The first was the rice mac 'n cheese which after the fact, much to my chagrin, I looked on the BACK of the box because someone here said that if you read it, it says processed in a plant that also processes wheat. OK, I thought maybe it was the lactose then since the mac has cheese.

So I wait two weeks and yesterday, I ate Amy's gluten-free/ DF Shepherd's Pie which does NOT have that label on the back nor does it have dairy. Sick as a dog again- I hadn't even recovered from the first time yet!  If you go to their website, it says a general blanket statement that SOUNDS LIKE, yes, we love our Celiac friends but the plant also processes wheat so we make no guarantees. No, if that were the case, why would they label some of their products with the CC warning and not others?

If it is Amy's, and I'm pretty sure it is, I'm going to be REALLY disappointed because I love their foods and I had respect for their company.

Has anyone else been glutened by an Amy's product without the CC warning? As many of you know, I am micro-sensitive. Thanks, Beverly

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Have you cross referened the ingredents list to see if anything is in common, and might be a factor? A yet un detected food interolence?

I do not think I have had any of Amy's stuff yet so can not comment on that...

Guest nini

I eat Amy's stuff all the time, I am also micro sensitive and have not had problems with Amy's.

skbird Contributor

THat is so weird. The only two meals by Amy's I could eat are the mac and cheese and the teryaki bowl (I think that one is it - has tamari in it). But the teryaki bowl made me ill, later found out I can't have fermented tamari (has aspergillus mold in it) so I can't have that either. The only one I now can have is the mac and cheese.

I'm sorry - you have such a big mystery on your hands!!!

Stephanie

robbiesmom Rookie

That is so odd! I love her meals-my favorite is the brown rice bowl with veggies-I did fine with it. Do the mac -n- cheese and terriayaki say gluten free in the corner? I don't buy the one's that don't say that. I am going to look again to see if the label mentions a wheat warning-I didn't think I would need to look!

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

That's too bad.

I rely on the Amy's Mac n Cheese for 2-3 of my meals per week.

Sorry to hear about your loss.....(of the Mac N Cheese)

Guest BERNESES

The only other thing I can think of is peanut M and M's which I have never had a problem with before but I'm starting to wonder if it's a lactose issue (or casein). Huh... boo-hoo!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

VydorScope Proficient
The only other thing I can think of is peanut M and M's which I have never had a problem with before but I'm starting to wonder if it's a lactose issue (or casein). Huh... boo-hoo!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Try it some time with out peanut mm's around then. OR try the MM's with out Amy's. Either way will lowrk.. but eh MM's prbly cheaper. :D

skbird Contributor
I love her meals-my favorite is the brown rice bowl with veggies-

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oops - that's the one I mean, the brown rice bowl, not teryaki. And yes, the mac and cheese says in big letters across the top it's gluten free...

I lived on those last year when I got my kitchen remodelled...

Stephanie

Guest BERNESES

vydorScope- Not sure I want to try either again! But if I had to choose I'd go with the Amy's believe it or not.

How long does it take for a gluten reaction to show up in most of you? Mine usually shows up within hours. I usually throw up first and then it proceeds from there pretty typically. I threw up last night around 7- ate the Amy's at 2 and the M&M's at 5. Argh!

VydorScope Proficient
vydorScope- Not sure I want to try either again! But if I had to choose I'd go with the Amy's believe it or not.

How long does it take for a gluten reaction to show up in most of you? Mine usually shows up within hours. I usually throw up first and then it proceeds from there pretty typically. I threw up last night around 7- ate the Amy's at 2 and the M&M's at 5. Argh!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

with my son its around 3-4 hours after eating that we out siders notice it.

sspitzer5 Apprentice

Hi Beverly,

I'm fairly certain that I've reacted to Amy's Mac & Cheese before. However, I've eaten it several times since then and haven't had a problem. So, maybe there are some cross contamination issues once in a while?

Susan

Guest BERNESES

Hi Everyone- Just got off the phone with an Amy's rep. Turns out that both items that I ate came from the same batch so they are sending two sample products from that batch to the University of Nebraska where they send their stuff to be tested routinely. U of N can test down to 1/1 millionth so either that batch got cross-contaminated or I am ridiculously sensitive to gluten (the dinners have no common ingredients).

The woman I spoke with was amazing. They may even actually test the two remaining ones I have in my fridge - talk about responding seriously!

She did say that there is wheat in the plant, but of course, they sanitize. So, I'll know in about a week and a half if I just got a bad batch or I am ridiculously sensitive. Either way, no prpared foods for me for awhile. Back to rice, chicken and veggies. :blink:

Matilda Enthusiast

jenvan Collaborator

i myself haven't noticed issues with amy's. she is a godsend to me :) i have loved the pizza--putting on more sauce, toppings and cheese and baking.

anywho...good response from the company--it is refreshing that they care!! let us know what happens with the testing...

robbiesmom Rookie

Cool! I am so glad they listen and care about us! We love her pizza too! I ate the brown rice & veggies one last night and feel fine-it probably was just that batch-let us know what they find out from the testing. It is nice to know what causes these reactions.

Guest BERNESES

Yeah- they were really wonderful. I emailed them and they made an appointment to call me, called me (can you believe that?). the woman I spoke with was phenomenal and very concerned. I was very happy with their response. Hope I can eat their stuff agian as I love it!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest BERNESES

Just wanted to let everyone know what the end result was. I got a call from Amy's Kitchen today. They sent a sample of the Shepherd's Pie and the gluten-free rice mac n cheese to the University of Nebraska. UN can test down as far as 10 parts per million and the Shepherd's Pie had 31 parts per million in it so, according to Amy's, it DID have gluten in it. They "think" (and are going to conduct some more tests) that the problem is that they started getting one of the ingredients in the Shepherd's Pie from a new distributor. They just found out that this distributor also processes wheat on the same equipment. So, they are going to investigate.

She is going to send me a copy of the test results from U of N and "compensation" (I didn't ask what that meant). Frankly, I was just relieved to find out that I wasn't insane- just insanely intolerant of gluten!

She told me that she had heard that most Celiac's do NOT react to under 200 parts per million. Does anyopne know if this is true?

Anyway, I was happy with their response and just wanted to let you all know. I applaud them for their honesty in the situation and the attention they paid to me. I don't know if there'll be a recall, but thought you shouldf all know. Beverly

Guest BERNESES

I just read this about Australia: "There is an Australian Food Standard for processed foods labelled 'gluten free'. When foods are tested using the prescribed test, there must be 'no detectable gluten'. Currently (June 2001) this test is sensitive to 0.003% (3 parts per million)." So I guess 31 parts per million is pretty significant? Does anyone know the US standard?

bluelotus Contributor

Don't know the US standards myself, just writing to say that I am glad you got things figured out. I am extremely sensitive to gluten too. I wonder what other Amy's products may be at risk? I don't eat their frozen meals, but I do use thier ketchup and salad dressings. I haven't noticed anything per se as far as a gluten reactiont, but I have been glutened by other things lately, so if there is something bad there, I wouldn't have noticed.

skbird Contributor

Wow, that's amazing! You should be a gluten detector, Beverly! I wonder at what level I'd notice? That's interesting.

I am really impressed with their response. I would like to know if there is a way to tell batches, so if I was to buy some at the store I could avoid them. I was thinking of stocking up soon for my new job - kind of an eat lunch at your desk kind of place. I only eat the mac and cheese.

Anyway, what great validation of your experience. That is really cool!

Take care

Stephanie

PS BTW, there is no US standard at this point, from what I understand. I knew about Europe and the 200 ppm (maybe that's how they get away using wheat starch? :o ) and I was thinking Canada is 40 ppm (don't have anything to reference on that at the moment, just something I remember for some reason). There has been talk of making a standard for the US, but :rolleyes:

Carriefaith Enthusiast
Just got off the phone with an Amy's rep. Turns out that both items that I ate came from the same batch so they are sending two sample products from that batch to the University of Nebraska where they send their stuff to be tested routinely. U of N can test down to 1/1 millionth so either that batch got cross-contaminated or I am ridiculously sensitive to gluten (the dinners have no common ingredients).
Let us know what they say and if they found any gluten.
jenvan Collaborator

wow, that kind of brings it all home for me. i had the shepherd's pie not that long ago. i take almost no risks...don't want to cut out amy's too...did they not say anything about--"this hasn't happened before?" probably didn't much reassurance other than the testing. so great they did that!

jrom987 Apprentice

I wanted to see what I could find out to better understand the contamination in our processed foods. I found this site and thought someone else might like to read it. Open Original Shared Link

Jo Ann

jenvan Collaborator

Jo Ann-- cool! that is from my support group's website :)

Archived