This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Elevated Iga

lbsteenwyk

lbsteenwyk Explorer

I just got my blood tests back for celiac disease. The only one that was abnormal was my IgA. I'm not sure how to interpret this. Here are my results:

IgA 451 (normal 68-378)

TTG antibody IgA 4.1 (normal <7.0)

IgG, serum 1030 (normal 768-1632)

Gliadin Antibodies IGG AB 14.5 (normal <29.9)

Gliadin Antibodies IGA AB 15.4 (normal <29.9)

What do you think? Should I be concerned about an elevated IgA?

My father has a positive dx of celiac disease; I have my daughter on a gluten-free diet because of symptoms, but she has never been tested.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jrom987 Apprentice

I'm still new at this and have been wondering about the blood tests too. I do know that my Iga & Igg were over 100. I also had the biopsy and have severe damage to my villi. Too many years of not knowing what I had! I can't find my last blood test results or I would tell you what mine are. Good luck!

FaithInScienceToo Contributor

Hi -

I have not heard of a too high 'overall' IgA...

I have only heard of that test result being a problem if one's body isn't producing IgA antibodies, and therefore it skews the other test results - but, it is ouside the norm, so I suppose there is reason for worry...at least your level is not too far from the norm...

Anyway...I hope you can find out what it means for you -

If you haven't already done so, I would suggest that you try a google search, using the 'advanced search' mode, and plugging in the exact phrase "too high IgA" or something to that effect.

Gina

Hi - this post got me interested....

I ran a google search -

With these two 'words':

"hyperimmunoglobulinemia" AND "IgA"

It gave me this page of URLS - hopefully, you'll find your answer somewhere in there...

Open Original Shared Link

If that link won't work, just go to google.com and enter those two terms, to pull up that search.

Good luck,

Gina

Sorry to tag on again, but your post got me into reading about 'gammopathy' -

abnormal IgA, IgG, and or IgM levels...

It made me think to tell you that you may want to consider asking your doc to blood test you for your overall IgG and IgM levels, too...and to re-test your overall IgA at the same time (in case it went down to normal, as it can fluctuate, apparently)...

Gina

jrom987 Apprentice

Thanks Gina. You have me wondering now too! I dug out my blood test results and under my gliadin antibody panel it said: Gliadin Ab Iga >100 and Gliadin Ab IgG >100. Positive range is >17. My iron and TIBC are both very low too. I looked at the link you sent and will research this more. I guess I was totally trusting my hematologist since he specialized in blood. Hmmmm. Thanks again! Jo Ann

jrom987 Apprentice

"I have not heard of a too high 'overall' IgA... Gina"

You got me thinking so I have spent over an hour researching this. Here are a few things that I found:

Table 3. Reference Ranges for Gliadin Antibodies (ELISA Units)

Children Adults

IgA Gliadin antibodies <25 <34

IgG Gliadin antibodies <46 <42

The level of IgA antibodies decreases with a gluten-free diet. IgA and IgG antibodies rise significantly during gluten challenge, sometimes several months before clinical relapse.

The presence of high levels of anti-gliadin (AGA) ais indicative of celiac disease.

I feel more comfortable with my doctor's dx now. Thanks for the input though!

Jo Ann

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

JoAnn -

I think you missed that I was talking about 'IgA' levels, not 'anti-gliadin IgA' levels -

As you will see, the person who posted the question had normal anti-gliadin IgA (and IgG), but her first result that she listed is NOT an 'antigliadin' result...

it is for 'an overall IgA' in the blood - that can mean IgA to many things...

Does that explain things better?

Anyway...if you have concerns about your anti-gliadin IgA, IgG levels, I have no idea if your numbers mean anything beyond the obvious fact that you are a Celiac...you'll have to ask your doc, I guess...unless you've found something about it on the Net (if so, please add-on!) ....

Anyway....if you find out, or are told that, your anti-gliadin numbers are considered to be 'excessively high' (which I have no idea about, as I said...), you may want to get the'overall IgA' and 'overall IgG' tests done???...

[Also...in case you need this info, too :an immunologist is 'the expert' in this specific stuff, although your hemetologist should also know about ALL of this].

Sorry to confuse you - Just to clear it up for all readers:

I was trying to say, in my first reply on this thread, that....

This was the first post I've ever read about "higher than normal

IgA" - NOT about "higher than normal anti-gliadin IgA" ....

Gina

lbsteenwyk Explorer

Hi Gina: I did check out the google link you posted and actually did my own search for the phrase "elevated IgA" + celiac. Unfortunately I didn't find too much to indicate what an elevated IgA alone means. Thanks for your help with this, though.

Is there anyone else out there who had only elevated serum IgA with other celiac tests negative? I'm still looking for opinions about what this means. The reason I haven't discussed it with my doc, is that I just had one of the GI docs where I work order the tests for me; I don't actually have a relationship with him as a patient. I'm sure if I call, him he'll give me his opinion, but I wanted to have some background first.

lbsteenwyk Explorer

I found this in an internet search:

Causes of increased IgA levels include:

gamma-A myeloma (M component)

chronic infections

chronic liver disease

rheumatoid arthritis with high titres of rheumatoid factor

SLE (occurs in some patients)

sarcoidosis (occurs in some patients)

Wiskott-Aldrich syndrome

I don't really think I have any of these problems, though.

• 5 months later...
Simply-V Newbie

I also had a similar result of a high IgA but normal everything else.

TTG antibody IgA <3 (negative <5)

Gliandin Antibody IGG <3 (negative <11)

Gliandin Antibody IGA 3 (negative <11)

IgA 621 high (Range 81-463)

My doctor is trying to tell me that it means I'm gluten intolerant, but I don't see any information anywhere to support that. (Doctor is alternative medicine)

Any ideas? Anyone else have this result? Did going gluten-free help?

tiredofdoctors Enthusiast

I had an elevated IgA, too. I had "outrageously high" IgG antigliadin antibodies (per my neuro doc) for quite some time; since being gluten free, my IgG's have gone down to 12 (only 1 over normal range), and My IgA is within normal limits now. I've been tested for RA, Lupus, everything -- don't know if there's a special test for Sarcoidosis that they've missed, but my Sed rate is consistently low, so I don't think that it's an issue. The doc said that he's REALLY HAPPY with my levels, and that it is a testament to how strict I've been on the diet because of the prior values -- made me happy.

I haven't been able to get a clear answer about IgG vs IgA -- but if I find anything, I'll let you know. The bad storms we're suposed to get tonight are starting up -- better disconnect my computer..... Talk to you guys soon . . . . Lynne

Simply-V Newbie

My question wasn't about antigliadin IgA.. but about not having any gliandin antibody (IgG or IgA) but still having an abnormally high IgA serum.

Is this still indicative of gluten intolerance? or something else? With this test results has anyone had benefit from a gluten-free diet?

• 10 years later...
TinaMarie Newbie

Has anyone had any answers regarding this?  I too had an Elevated Total IGA results but normal tIGA IgG.   Having most of the symptoms of celiac disease but can't go gluten free until after my EGD test has been done.  Which isn't for three weeks.   I'm curious what the other people with these results found out.   My Dr seemed to think I was gluten intolerant but I can't seem to find any resources to back that up. 

cyclinglady Grand Master
1 hour ago, TinaMarie said:

Has anyone had any answers regarding this?  I too had an Elevated Total IGA results but normal tIGA IgG.   Having most of the symptoms of celiac disease but can't go gluten free until after my EGD test has been done.  Which isn't for three weeks.   I'm curious what the other people with these results found out.   My Dr seemed to think I was gluten intolerant but I can't seem to find any resources to back that up. 

Welcome Tina!

This is a pretty old posting so I will respond.  What were your other celiac panel results?  Did they do the TTG IGA?  

I had a very elevated IGA test (checked for IGA deficiency which for celiac tests validates the result).  It can mean that you have some autoimmune disorder going on.  I already had Hashimoto's thyroiditis, so no surprise there (not to mention lots of allergies).   I tested negative to the TTG IGA and TTG IGG, but my DGP IGA was positive.  It was the only positive.  My biopsies revealed moderate to severe damage.  I have both Hashi's and Celiac disease.

Open Original Shared Link

Soon, you should know where you stand.  Keep eating gluten until all testing is complete.  

Archived