This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Soup

swittenauer

swittenauer Enthusiast

What brands of soups are gluten free? I know there are brands in the specialty stores but what about Campbells, Healthy Choice, etc. I get my husband the Chunky Chicken Broccoli Cheese soup from Campbells but I don't know of any others. I'm sure he could go for something different as far as soup is concerned.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Amys, Shelton's, and Thai Kitchen all have soups that are gluten free and say it on the can/package.

swittenauer Enthusiast

I don't think I can get those at Kroger or Walmart. I was hoping to find some everyday brands. Am I out of luck?

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

Where in the US are you??

swittenauer Enthusiast

Kentucky. We do have a Whole Foods Market but we are just trying to simplify & saw on here that someone said some of Campbells Soups are gluten free. I was wondering what types they were & what other regular brands we could find at our regular local grocery stores.

happygirl Collaborator

Swittenauer....

I shop at a Kroger in Virginia Beach, Virginia, as well as where I just moved from, Auburn, Alabama. The Krogers in both places carry Amy's soups on their "special foods" isle. If they don't carry them now, they might be able to order them since their company as a whole already carries them. I like their chili a lot! I also got their frozen, gluten-free meals from Kroger. I found Kroger to be really helpful.

Good luck! I miss soups, too! After Thanksgiving, I'm going to make a big batch of turkey soup and freeze it in individual servings. YUM!

newo ikkin Rookie

I've looked and I couldn't find one gluten-free Campbell's soup, but I think some Progresso soups are gluten-free.

I get a brand of soup called Tabatchnick. They sell it at regular food stores. Its in the frozen foods section in a box. It comes with 2 packages that you can cook in a mircowave or on the stove top. Not all of them are gluten-free but alot are.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

skoki-mom Explorer

I got some info online that says Campbells Chicken and rice is gluten-free, I've been getting that. That is a Canadian site, might be different formulation in the US.

swittenauer Enthusiast

I think that is what I have heard....it probably was from a member from Canada. I'll just stick with the Chicken Cheese Broccoli soup for now. The store where we shop has the gluten free broth but no soups.

Jenn2005 Contributor

I got my husband several of the Progresso soups. They list all allergens right under the ingredients. Its very easy to read the labels which is nice if you have several food intolerances.

Jennifer

jenvan Collaborator

Shelton has some good gluten-free soups--love the chicken tortilla. They say gluten-free accordingly too. Fantastic Foods has one or two gluten-free instant soup in a container deal...like Five Bean. They're pretty tasty.

Guest nini

just got my list from Campbells of their Gluten Free products, it says that these products are gluten free, and there may be others, but because ingredients change always read the ingredient statement...

anyway, here is what is on the list of ok Campbell's products

Chunky Soup- Chicken Broccoli Cheese 18 oz.

Select Soup- Savory Lentil 19 oz.

Prego Pasta Sauce

Traditional Sauce all sizes

Three Cheese Sauce 26 oz

Mushroom 4 lb 3oz

Prego Pasta Bakes Sauce

3 Cheese Marinara 27.75 oz

Tomato, Garlic & Basil 27.75 oz

Swanson Broth

Lower Sodium Beef Broth 14 oz

RTS Beef Broth 14.5 oz

RTS Chicken Broth 14.5 & 49.5 oz.

Natural Goodness Chicken Broth all sizes

Vegetable Broth 14 oz

Lisa Mentor

This may be a dumb question......If Swanson Low Sodium 14oz is gluten free, will the 32oz also be???

Lisa B.

Guest nini

it may very well be, that's just the way they had it on the list... weird huh? anyway, the disclaimer was that not all of their gluten free products are on the list, this is just to get you started!

swittenauer Enthusiast

Thanks! I knew there was a list from campbells. I didn't have enough patience for it to arrive in the mail. I don't think he'll go for the lentil soup though. Good to know about the pasta sauces too. We usually stick to Newmans Own Pasta Sauces.

canadia Newbie

If you're in Canada, some of the President's Choice soups at Superstore are gluten-free. I found a black bean, a lentil, and even a Cream of Mushroom.

• 4 months later...
Guest cassidy
just got my list from Campbells of their Gluten Free products, it says that these products are gluten free, and there may be others, but because ingredients change always read the ingredient statement...

anyway, here is what is on the list of ok Campbell's products

Chunky Soup- Chicken Broccoli Cheese 18 oz.

Select Soup- Savory Lentil 19 oz.

Prego Pasta Sauce

Traditional Sauce all sizes

Three Cheese Sauce 26 oz

Mushroom 4 lb 3oz

Prego Pasta Bakes Sauce

3 Cheese Marinara 27.75 oz

Tomato, Garlic & Basil 27.75 oz

Swanson Broth

Lower Sodium Beef Broth 14 oz

RTS Beef Broth 14.5 oz

RTS Chicken Broth 14.5 & 49.5 oz.

Natural Goodness Chicken Broth all sizes

Vegetable Broth 14 oz

I just looked at the Campbell's website and Pace is one of their companies. I thought pace salsa was gluten-free, but it isn't on this list. Any ideas?

Guhlia Rising Star

They may not put it on their gluten-free list because of vinegar??? Just a thought...

As far as soups go, Progresso is definitely the easiest to find gluten free ones. I eat lots of Progresso soups without a problem. I used to stick with the Campbells Chunky chicken brocolli and cheese, but I switched to the Progresso brand since there are so many more selections and their customer service people were VERY helpful on the phone. I generally try to support the companies that will list gluten containing ingrediants.

• 4 weeks later...
skinnyminny Enthusiast
They may not put it on their gluten-free list because of vinegar??? Just a thought...

As far as soups go, Progresso is definitely the easiest to find gluten free ones. I eat lots of Progresso soups without a problem. I used to stick with the Campbells Chunky chicken brocolli and cheese, but I switched to the Progresso brand since there are so many more selections and their customer service people were VERY helpful on the phone. I generally try to support the companies that will list gluten containing ingrediants.

Do you eat the chicken and wild rice

Lisa Mentor

It is so easy to make home made soups. If any one wants some help doing that, just let me know. Mine are easy - anyone can cook them. You just need to have taste buds.

:)

chasesparents Rookie

Here is a link to Progresso Soups, this website shows the ingredients for each soup. There are a few good ones, that are gluten free.

Open Original Shared Link

• 3 weeks later...
debbie-doodles Contributor

I recently called Campbells about their new line that comes in the Gold Box. I think it might be Gold Label soups? Anyways...they said that all of those were gluten free EXCEPT the one. They even have a tomato version that is gluten free. I was pretty unbelieving the first time, so I called back and got a different person and they said the same thing.

I also had called Pace and was told that their salsa (mild version is what I called about) is gluten free. that is the salsa that we use.

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

I eat Healthy Choice, chicken and rice, the one in the little green microwavable containter. Tastes great!!!! Very quick for lunch at work too.

jkmunchkin Rising Star

I just tried a delicious Tomato with Roasted Garlic Soup from Pacific Foods. It tastes just like Campbells Tomato soup. I found it at my local Stop & Shop in the healthy food isle.

• 2 years later...
snwoods.designs Newbie

I just found out personally that the Healthy Choice soups are not Gluten Free. I read in another forum that these soups from Healthy Choice were Gluten free:

• Split Pea
  • Bean with Bacon
  • Chicken with Rice
  • Country Vegetable

I bought Chicken with Rice and Country Vegetable. Within minutes of eating both soup (I spilled most the first one coming out of the microwave so made both), I was sick :( . It's been two days and I am still not all the way back to normal. I wrote the company and this was their response:

"Unfortunately, we are not able to guarantee that our products ingredients are gluten-free, since the source of an ingredient may change from time to time. We understand how difficult it can be finding foods that meet the requirements of a restricted diet, and we continue to look for ways to meet the dietary needs of our consumers.

Please be aware that although ConAgra Foods cannot certify products to be gluten-free, we can assist you by affirming that a product has been formulated without commonly known gluten containing ingredients. The flour used in our products is often wheat flour and should be avoided by individuals with gluten sensitivities. Some fermented or distilled products, such as vinegar, may be derived from wheat. We suggest you speak with your physician to determine if you need to avoid distilled products derived from wheat, rye, barley, or oats. We always advise consumers who may have sensitivities to recheck the ingredient list on each package. Products are oftentimes reformulated and the ingredients may change. If Natural Flavors, Artificial Flavors, or Spices listed in the ingredients list contain wheat, oat, barley, or rye, these ingredients would be listed in parenthesis immediately following the ingredient."

It's good to know ... I don't think we should eat soup unless it clearly states it is gluten free.. .or we make it ourselves.

Archived