This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Other Food Intolerance - Confused About Iga / Igg

cornbread

cornbread Explorer

I got my casein test (IgA) result back from Enterolab - postive. This is good as it confirms how I was feeling when I ate dairy. I understand that a positive IgA result means no casein for life.

I also got my York labs 96 food panel results back. This test is for IgG mediated allergies, which I understand are often reversible. Luckily I only had one problem food - eggs. :( (sucks cos I rely on them quite heabily these days - or did!)

My confusion lies in that I felt no ill effects from eating eggs, and yet I have noticed a problem with other foods - namely corn and soy, but to a lesser degree also rice and potatoes - but the York test said I was negative to these. I guess this is the same as it coming back negative for wheat and milk, although I know I have gluten and casein intolerance? Should I assume then that I would have positive IgA responses to those foods instead? :unsure: This is all really confusing! :blink:

I'm starting to think that maybe I just have a permeable gut. Some days *everything* I eat hurts as soon as I eat it. The pain is at the bottom of my rib cage (small intestine I guess) and I get bloated.

Thanks for any light you can shed. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Rachel--24 Collaborator

I notice that with leaky gut some days I react to just about everything so I eat really plain and simple. Once I start feeling better I can tolerate more things...till the next time I do something to irritate my gut. :(

The main things that irritate a leaky gut are alcohol, caffeine, gluten, dairy, sugar, baking soda and powder, red meats, yeast, processed foods...of course you can be sensitive to any food and that will irritae your gut as well.

I would not rely on the York results completely. Trust your body and how you feel. Also with the eggs...you may feel fine after you eat them but IgG reactions are delayed so you may not get symptoms till a day or 2 later. I tested negative for everything in the IgG tests....it doesnt mean I dont have problems...cuz I do. I pay attention to what my body tells me and I keep a food diary.

cornbread Explorer
Also with the eggs...you may feel fine after you eat them but IgG reactions are delayed so you may not get symptoms till a day or 2 later.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmmm, you're right... Good point - thanks. :) I'm really hoping that my allergies (hayfever, sinusitis, etc.) are egg-related, or at least egg-exasperated! Having cut out ALL grains, casein and soy, I felt pretty terrific. However, I was still getting breakouts and still suffering from constant environmental allergies. This is what led me to think there was maybe another food issue at work. I wasn't surprised the results showed eggs because I had started to rely heavily on them - usually 3 for breakfast every day... I kinda knew this was playing with fire but when you're totally grain free, eggs are very useful. Are IgG reactions accumalitive? My allergies have become worse over time.

Since my reactions to corn and soy (and rice/potatoes) are immediate - stomach issues - I guess then they are IgA, like gluten/casein?

cornbread Explorer

Ok... This whole IgG vs IgE vs IgA thing is VERY confusing... :blink: I know that York's food allergy tests measure IgG. Enterolab's gluten, etc. tests measure IgA. I don't really understand the difference except that IgA is for life and IgE is probably not. But what about IgE?

I just did ImmuneTech's 'most common allergies' test, which measures IgE. The test said I was negative for all common allergens (pollens, mold, etc.). But I'm pretty damn sure I have environmental allergies... I go outside and I can feel the stuff getting into my lungs! <_<

Also, the IgE for egg white was negative, whereas my IgG result was way positive.

What is the difference between IgE and IgG? Can anyone shed any light?

Thanks!

Rachel--24 Collaborator
What is the difference between IgE and IgG?  Can anyone shed any light? 

Thanks!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

IgE allergies are "true" allergies. They are usually immediate. A peanut allergy is an example. Symptoms of IgE allergies may be hives, swelling, breathing problems...it would not be delayed. IgE allergies dont usually go away. They can also result in anapylatx reactions. I know I totally spelled that wrong. :blink:

IgG are considered sensitivities....they are usually delayed and the reaction can happen an hour later or 2 days later or anything in between. These sensitivities can sometimes go away if the food is avoided for awhile or rotated so that its not eaten frequently.

cornbread Explorer

Thank you very much Rachel - that makes perfect sense. Very glad I don't have any IgE food allergies then! :)

So I suppose things like hayfever are still IgE in that they *are* immediate, even though they are not life-threatening. I wonder how accurate the IgE blood tests are? I can't understand why I came back negative for things like pollen, grasses and ragweed. Unless my 'allergies' are actually something else. ?? I'm suspicious because I never had them until the month I went gluten free.

jenvan Collaborator

I agree with what Rachel said. I did an IgE test--everything came back normal. However, when I did my IgG test, I had a myriad of allergies come back. I have pasted in some more info below on the two...

. What is the difference between food allergy and food intolerance?

Many people think the terms food allergy and food intolerance mean the same thing; however, they do not. A food intolerance is an adverse food-induced reaction that does not involve the immune system. Lactose intolerance is one example of a food intolerance. A person with lactose intolerance lacks an enzyme that is needed to digest milk sugar. When the person eats milk products, symptoms such as gas, bloating, and abdominal pain may occur.

A food allergy occurs when the immune system reacts to a certain food. The most common form of an immune system reaction occurs when the body creates immunoglobulin E (IgE) antibodies to the food. When these IgE antibodies react with the food, histamine and other chemicals (called mediators) cause hives, asthma, or other symptoms of an allergic reaction.

Introduction

Foods can cause a number of reactions, not all of which are allergic. Anyone can experience an adverse reaction to a food. The types of adverse reactions are as follows:

Adverse Reactions to Foods

Food Intolerance - where the immune system is not involved in the reaction

* Food poisoning

* Idiosyncratic reactions to food

* Anaphylactoid reactions (they act like anaphylaxis but there is no allergy-IgE antibody involved)

* Pharmacologic reactions

Food Allergy - when the immune system is involved in the reaction

* IgE mediated (classic allergy- tests are available) Non-IgE mediated

* Type III immune response- a serum sickness like reaction

* Type IV immune response- a contact dermatitis type reaction

Food Allergy- Facts and Figures

Food intolerance accounts for 80% of all adverse reactions to food.

Food allergy accounts for 20% of all adverse reactions to food.

Allergic reactions can be itching, swelling, rash, spreading hives, vomiting, diarrhea, breathing difficulties and in the most severe of the allergic disorders, anaphylaxis can lead to collapse and death. By definition, anaphylaxis is an allergic reaction which involves two of the body's systems (eg respiratory and gastrointestinal or skin). Anaphylactic deaths as a result of insect bites or penicillin are usually very quick - within minutes - and due to cardiac arrest, anaphylactic deaths due to food allergies are usually due to suffocation (breathing difficulties).

Food intolerance reactions can be the same as above, as well as:

skin (rashes, swelling)

airways (asthma, stuffy or runny nose, frequent colds and infections)

gastrointestinal tract (irritable bowel symptoms, colic, bloating, diarrhea, vomiting, frequent mouth ulcers, reflux, bedwetting, 'sneaky poos', 'sticky poos')

central nervous system (migraines, headaches, anxiety, depression, lethargy, impairment of memory and concentration, panic attacks, irritability, restlessness, inattention, sleep disturbance, restless legs, moodswings, PMT).

Symptoms of food intolerance can come and go and change throughout life.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived