This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anyone Know Of A gluten-free Dog Food?

mart

mart Contributor

Hi. This is gross, but my dog's always licking my son's face :angry: , and the first ingredient in all the brands of dog food I've seen is "Wheat Gluten." We've already changed the bird's food because it included barley. Can anyone recommend a gluten-free dog food brand?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

elonwy Enthusiast

1st thing, you'll have to go to a pet store, cause the regular grocery stores wont have it.

I'm not 100% about dog food, but I switched my cats to Eukanuba and that seems to be going well. They seem to like it better too.

Elonwy

cornbread Explorer

My gluten-free dog eats Evo / Innova. Evo is the dried stuff, it's totally grain free and high protein, low carb. Innova is the canned stuff and is gluten free but has corn I think. I also have my cats on the cat versions. It's really high quality stuff. I don't believe pets should be filled up with processed grains, how on earth would they eat that in the wild? :huh:

mart Contributor

Thanks. I will look for those brands.

lizzy Apprentice
My gluten-free dog eats Evo / Innova.  Evo is the dried stuff, it's totally grain free and high protein, low carb.  Innova is the canned stuff and is gluten free but has corn I think.  I also have my cats on the cat versions.  It's really high quality stuff.  I don't believe pets should be filled up with processed grains, how on earth would they eat that in the wild?  :huh:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hi can u buy this at a local supermarket of is it just at the vets store. i was wondering as my too dogs lick me at times and i wounder if i will get contaminated thanks

Felidae Enthusiast

If you want a better quality pet food without any grains, try Natural Balance. Most pet foods from the grocery stores have grains. You can get good quality pet foods at pet supply type stores.

cornbread Explorer

I get Evo/Innova from the pet store. They won't have it at the supermarket and my vet stocks things like Science Diet which are grain loaded also.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jenn2005 Contributor

There are a couple of brands of canned dog food you can get at like Wal Mart or Publix. One brand is Alpo - not all of the flavors are gluten free but there are a few - I believe one is called Filet Mignon. Also the canned Ol'Roy has a few flavors that are gluten free and also the canned Iams is gluten free. Were did you get the gluten free bird food? We have a Cockatiel that we gave to my in laws because her food had wheat in it and we couldn't find anything else she'd eat.

Jennifer

frenchiemama Collaborator

Natural Balance has three gluten-free foods (available at Petco).

Canidae is a very good food that is really reasonable in price, you'll have to go to the website and check for availability.

Nature's Variety has at least one flavor that is gluten-free.

Innova EVO

Timberwolf Organics makes a couple of gluten-free foods (I'm a big fan of the Ocean Blue).

I know that there are some others, but I can't remember them right off the top of my head. If price is an issue, I highly recommend the Canidae (it's generally around $28-$30 for 40lbs).

I would not recommend that anyone feed Alpo or Ol' Roy (no offense intended to whoever posted those). They are made with the cheapest possible ingredients and contain really nasty preservatives, it would be like you living off of nothing but Cheetos. Ol' Roy especially, you don't even want to know what's in there. I wish I could forget.

skbird Contributor

I buy Nutro Natural Choice Lamb and Rice meal at Petco or my feed store for my dogs. It has rice and rice gluten in it, but that is not the same as the evil gluten. I was getting glutened by my dogs' food, also my cats' treats. I get the cats Science Diet Light/Hairball formula, it doesn't have gluten in it either (though not grain free). I tried to switch my cats to Eukeneuba but the one started getting sick every day. She also got sick every day from Iams (which I was trying from Costco). Honestly, I have tried many foods with her (not the one pictured in my avatar) and she always gets sick, even when I made home made cat food (yeah, that was fun...) For some reason, this Science Diet formula is the only one she can handle. Fortunately it doesn't have gluten which means *I* can still handle *her*.

Stephanie

Idahogirl Apprentice

I was wondering about this, too. I just realized that my Beta fish food and my cats food and his treats all have gluten in them. I don't feed the cat anymore, but he still tries to lick my face while I'm sleeping (we're working on this-it really bothers me, but he is so persistent). Price is definitely an issue for us.

Felidae Enthusiast

Carolyn, I'm with you regarding not feeding your pets Alpo brand. I just did some research on how pet foods are made. Wow, pretty depressing and gross. I love researching things, but sometimes ignorance is bliss! If only I too could forget some of the things I have seen and read. I would not go anywhere near IAMS or Eukanuba (no offence anyone, just my opinion).

quantumsugar Apprentice

For a while, my roommate was making food for our dog. Every week, he would make a big batch and keep it in the fridge all week, takes like twenty minutes a week. I can double check, but I think this was all he was putting in it:

Chicken

Rice (cooked in chicken broth)

Garlic

Occasionally he would mix in cottage cheese. It worked really well for her, too. Her coat got incredibly shiny, and had plenty of energy (course, she is a beagle...).

psawyer Proficient

Unlike human food, gluten sources will never be hidden in a pet food ingredient list. You will see one of the words wheat, barley, oat, or (in theory) rye. I have never encountered a pet food with rye, and as the owner of a store which sells pet food and supplies, I have seen a lot. The regulatory body for both the US and Canada is AAFCO Open Original Shared Link and they are strict.

Here is a list of dry dog foods I know to be gluten free. It is not complete by any means, and I did not even consider the grocery store brands. If a food is not on this list, that does not necessarily mean it has gluten. Nutram is only available in Canada.

Canidae

Eagle Pack Natural Formula

Eagle Pack Original Adult Formula

Eagle Pack Power Formula

Eagle Pack Premium Select Formula

Eagle Pack Senior Care Formula

Natural Balance Potato & Duck

Natural Balance Venison & Brown Rice

Nutram Chicken & Rice Mini-Bite

Nutram Chicken & Rice for Active Dogs

Nutram Chicken & Rice for Adult Dogs

Nutram Chicken & Rice for Large Breed Adult Dogs

Nutram Chicken & Rice for Large Breed Puppies

Nutram Chicken & Rice for Less Active Dogs

Nutram Chicken & Rice for Puppies

Nutram Lamb & Rice with Chicken for Adult Dogs

Nutro Natural Choice Dental Care

Nutro Natural Choice High Energy

Nutro Natural Choice Lamb & Rice Adult

Nutro Natural Choice Lamb & Rice Puppy

Nutro Natural Choice Lamb & Rice Small Bites

Nutro Natural Choice Large Breed Lamb & Rice Puppy

Nutro Natural Choice Lite

Royal Canin Giant Breed

Royal Canin Maxi Adult 26

Royal Canin Maxi German Shepherd 24

Royal Canin Maxi Puppy 32

Royal Canin Mini Adult 27

Royal Canin Mini Babydog 30

Royal Canin Mini Light 30

Royal Canin Mini Puppy 33

Royal Canin Mini Special 30

Duplicates removed and typo fixed.

mart Contributor

Wow! Thank you psawyer and everyone for the great suggestions. I am constantly amazed at the support I find in this site and the willingness that you all have to share. I hope my picky poodle will learn to eat one of these.

Jennifer, unfortunately I won't be of much help with the bird food. We have a cockatoo. We used to buy a grain mix which is supposed to soak overnight (different beans, rice and PEARLED BARLEY). She throws her food all over the place. Also she used to eat a mix of seeds that had wheat in it, along with fresh fruits and veggies. We now buy an assortment of beans and seeds (all bought from separate bags). Definitely not convenient, but it's just another hassle we've had to learn to deal with in ensuring a gluten-free household. :(

Many have suggested we get rid of our pets, but I will go through any and every inconvenience I have to endure in order to keep them (as they are my family too). I know many of you understand. :)

psawyer Proficient

For those of you with cats, I am working on a list of gluten-free cat food. Cats are less likely to lick you, but in some cases it does happen. Celiac cat owners will want to avoid using Swheat Scoop litter, since the litter will get on the cat's feet and will get deposited everywhere they walk. Do they jump on your counter? Or your table? Enough said.

Felidae Enthusiast

We got that wheat litter for free when we adopted our cats and one of them liked it so much he ate it. So, I went right back to the clay.

Archived