This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

White Coating On Tongue?

Guest DanceswithWolves

Guest DanceswithWolves

It seems I always have that. Is that a symptom of celiac disease, gluten intolerance, IBS, or acid reflux?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

It is commonly a symptom of a oral yeast infection, thrush.

darkangel Rookie

Yeast overgrowth indicating your system is out of balance. When the good bugs in our gut are killed off by antibiotics and poor diet, the yeast is allowed to grow out of control. This could also be the source of the itching you mentioned in another post.

Guest DanceswithWolves
Yeast overgrowth indicating your system is out of balance. When the good bugs in our gut are killed off by antibiotics and poor diet, the yeast is allowed to grow out of control. This could also be the source of the itching you mentioned in another post.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So-oooooooo...how do I make it go bye-bye?

Just to let everyone know...I stocking up on gluten-free foods for the holidays.

Although, I will not ne indulging in any pizza any more. I'm not saying that I will never have an occasional slip..(like this morning) I had Oatmeal....(sigh) All I hear is my father saying, "Oatmeal's GOOD for you!". Sheeeeeesh...I just can't get it thru a stubborn German's head, now can I ?

I also just ate a baked potato for lunch and a couple of slices of ham lunch meat. Now I have to go buy some cashews to munch on thru my day.

For dinner tonight I have salmon and rice in my lunch tote. Yummy! :D

traveljunkie Rookie

You should avoid sugar...yeast thrives on it! My son and I had a coating that was quite thick before we realized what was wrong with us. Taking probiotics will also help...they crowd out the bad bacteria.

I know what it's like dealing with family I come from a Italian family whose life revolves around food! Not only do I eat gluten free but I'm also vegetarian. Imagine the badgering I get at family meals!!

tarnalberry Community Regular
So-oooooooo...how do I make it go bye-bye?

Well... A number of people here may disagree with me, but if it's a problem you've had for a while, I would encourage you to see a doctor about it. Especially given the other issues you've mentioned. Ordinarily, a simple oral yeast infection is treated - by Western medicine - with "topical" antifungals. (Oral steroids for asthma patients can encourage thrush, so I've had it a couple times.) For something that's occuring more seriously, the treatment - by Western medicine - is also systemic antifungals.

I'm not pro-pharmaceutical, but I'm not anti-pharmaceutical either, so I would advise making the best-educated use of all available alternatives. In a case like what you've described, I would probably go to a doctor to confirm it's thrush (it's not the only thing that causes that, just a common one, and it's easy to confirm), and would make use of antifungals - either oral or systemic, depending on the full scope of systemic symptoms. But, systemic antifungals can be very hard on the liver, and while some people do need to be on them for extended periods of time (and some people have found that helpful), I would also try to minimize exposure, myself. I would accompany that with alternative methods, including eliminating sugar (even most fruit, for a time, which is saying a lot, for me!), using probiotics (which take over the "real estate" in your gut as you kill off the yeast with the pharmaceuticals, preventing them from finding a foothold to grow in later), and taking other natural support measures, including vitamins, brushing the tongue thoroughly and often, and things like garlic. Of course, I would also look around my environment, to minimize the potential for skin yeast growth (as had been mentioned before) and reduce the ability for fungus to grow in my home. (It can be tough in a wet winter...)

All that is just *my* approach. A lot of people don't like how harsh the systemic or even oral anti-fungals can be, and I don't blame them. But it's a matter of whether or not that's what you really have, how bad it is, and what it'll take for your body to clear it...

Guest DanceswithWolves
Now I have to go buy some cashews to munch on thru my day.

Yes...I'm replying to a quote that I made earlier today. Why? Because I'm sick as hell right now. Apparently, those cashews killed me. It is now 1:15 am Thanksgiving Eve and I am still up. Not only did I have to set up the sales ad at my store all by myself, but I was totally sick all night at work.

Then driving home I get pulled over by a police officer because my headlight is out. :angry::(

When I finally got home I had the loudest stomach noises I ever heard. Serious IBS.

I ate some chicken soup and two slices of Gluten Free bread. Oh, and a gluten-free caramel rice cake.

The noises stopped...but my back is killing me and I am bloated now.

I think I'm going to have to quit this job.

I guess I need to find a new doctor because I'm making no progress.

I just find it hard to believe that my old doctor suggested that I need therapy. I guess she thinks my eating paterns are reflecting what's in my head.

Talk about confusion!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

RiceGuy Collaborator

I've noticed many times that nuts (including peanuts) are coated with all sorts of stuff you wouldn't ever eat knowingly. Be very careful and read the labels thoroughly. NEVER trust any item to be made in a way that makes sense from a health prospective. I continually find foods with all sorts of crap in them that is totally unnecessary or obviously not good for anyone to eat. I can't count the number of times I casually glance at the list of ingredients thinking I already know what it says, and my eyes get wide and my jaw hits the floor. I practically scream out loud. I think I've posted about peanuts in another thread of yours too.

Keep in mind also that as your system becomes gluten-free, you may likely become more sensitive to other ingredients, as so many others are finding. Things like casein, soy, etc. The list is different for everyone. I myself seem to have become sensitive to something new lately, as my legs and feet have had fluid retention for several days (just after trying out some soy cheese for the first time).

It may very well have been something you ate unknowingly, or just your body adjusting to the new diet.

Anyway, I agree that the coating sounds like a yeast type of thing. I know I've already mentioned the Caprylic acid and Acidophilus in another of your threads, so I won't go into all that again. A doctor may be the right choice for you. That's your decision to make.

RiceGuy Collaborator

Oh, and about the fruit and sugar. Yes you wil need to limit those if the white coating is a yeast thing. Especially the refined sugars. I find I can't have ANY refined sugar, and I also need to limit even fresh fruits to one or maybe two pieces in any given week. Most weeks I don't have any at all.

Of course, I NEVER EVER eat anything with any form of yeast in it. I learned from experience how horrable the effects are on me.

A note about bananas: I've noticed they seem to be very prone to mold/fungi. The only way I can eat them is when they are ALL yellow, no brown spots. Even then, I discard the top of the banana - the first 3/4 inch or so. That's because the stems appear to get more mold first, and being very sensitive to mold I have noticed it gets into the fruit itself near the top.

Being careful about these, and especially being totally gluten-free, the white coating I had since who-knows-when has finally gone bye-bye.

kevsmom Contributor

I agree that the white coating is probably due to yeast (thrush). One way to get rid of the "bad" yeast :angry: is to replace it with "good" :rolleyes: yeast like gluten-free yogurt or acidopholis milk.

traveljunkie Rookie

Sorry to hear about your bad day...we all go through those! I was just thinking about the cashews you ate and maybe the fat content in them bothered you. Cashews have a very high fat content and can bother some celiacs. I have no problem with them and eat them with brussel sprouts everyday for lunch. Yum!!

Maybe if you try to eat them again, have them with something else and not alone.

Archived