This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Help! Soy?!

chestnut

chestnut Rookie

I'm brand new to these boards and love them dearly but find myself tearing my hair out because so many different answers from different people make answers hard to find.

I understand I should speak with my doctor and not get medical advice from a chatboard! But my question isn't about medical advice. It's about soybeans.

On some posts it says to stay away from soy items on others it says soy is okay.

I take vitamins and my Vitamin A & E is made up of soybean oils.

Is that okay (as a general rule) or not?

I understand that different people have different reactions, but as a whole, what's the deal with soybean oils?

Thanks for your responses!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

That's the thing - you see so many answers because there isn't just one answer. Some celiacs find that they have problems with soy, some don't. You have to figure out your answer yourself, because there's no way we can tell you. (I have seen the claim that the soy protein shows a similar sequence to the portion of wheat that bothers us, but I haven't seen anything backing that up. Doesn't mean it's not true, of course. :-) )

darlindeb25 Collaborator

Hi Chestnut---I am one of the celiacs that cant tolerate much soy. I can eat products that have soy lecithin and I can tolerate the soy oil in margarines as long as it isnt the only oil. I absolutely can not tolerate soy flour or corn flour. I have googled soy and after reading about it, I dont think I would use it if I could..google soybeans and see what you think. After reading everything I can find on celiacs, seeing the numbers on how many people are intolerant of grains---I am coming to realize that grains are for fattening animals and not for us. I think sometimes it is an intolerance and sometimes a personal choice. By the way, I cant take vitamins with soy in them, they make me ill. Deb

Merika Contributor

Hi Chestnut,

There is no gluten in soy and having celiac does not mean you can't eat soy. What you are seeing on the boards is a lot of people who have additional food intolerances and soy is one of the "8 common allergens".

It seems that celiac messes with the body and food allergies or intolerances result from it. Different people will have different food problems, and to varying degrees. Many of us find, after going gluten-free for a while, that we need to eliminate additional foods (sometimes just for a few months, sometimes forever) in order to feel healthy.

The "8 common allergens" is recognized by the US FDA and is guiding food labelling laws to help us with this. Currently, I'm really annoyed because they are allowing some soy products to not be flagged on labels, but that is another issue. The eight items include soy, wheat, corn, dairy and peanuts (I can't remember the rest, google them).

Hth,

Merika

chestnut Rookie

Thanks for the answers! I'm telling you, this is kind of a mixed blessing.

It's fantastic in that I finally know what's wrong with me but upsetting when I read these boards and see that there's no "One way" to deal with it.

When you break a leg- You get a cast.

When you get diagnosed with celiac disease, you get so many different reactions from different people affected by different things.

It's kind of crazy what other people (all of us before we knew) take for granted in regard to the things we eat.

I find it hard to believe that the federal government hasn't made it a law that foods with gluten (or gluten mimicking proteins) don't have to be plainly labeled.

From the reading I've done it doesn't seem to be that we're any threat to the food industry as a whole. It's a small number of us.

It sure would make shopping a lot easier!

chestnut Rookie
Hi Chestnut,

There is no gluten in soy and having celiac does not mean you can't eat soy. What you are seeing on the boards is a lot of people who have additional food intolerances and soy is one of the "8 common allergens".

It seems that celiac messes with the body and food allergies or intolerances result from it. Different people will have different food problems, and to varying degrees. Many of us find, after going gluten-free for a while, that we need to eliminate additional foods (sometimes just for a few months, sometimes forever) in order to feel healthy.

The "8 common allergens" is recognized by the US FDA and is guiding food labelling laws to help us with this. Currently, I'm really annoyed because they are allowing some soy products to not be flagged on labels, but that is another issue. The eight items include soy, wheat, corn, dairy and peanuts (I can't remember the rest, google them).

Hth,

Merika

Thanks, Merika!

Your post cleared up a lot of the questions/frustrations I've been having while reading posts here.

Thank-you!

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

Chestnut,

You will also find that most of the people onthis board know more about what foods you can have and what you can't versus some doctor.

Most doctors have only seen celiac disease in a textbook or two (usually back in Med School) -- they can treat problems, sypmtoms and pains, but they can't help you with your diet (on a day to day basis).

This board will help you in you day to day life.

Ask any question you need to!!!

Its our lives and we need to support and be able to depend on each other to enjoy life to the fullest!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Many people with celiac disease have food intolerances in addition to gluten. I believe the most common ones are dairy, soy, corn, eggs, and nuts.

Guest kim07
Many people with celiac disease have food intolerances in addition to gluten. I believe the most common ones are dairy, soy, corn, eggs, and nuts.

So, I know being diagnosed with Celiac Disease that sometimes the person can start to have intolerances to other foods such as soy, dairy, etc.

Someone mentioned peanuts.

I'm just curious, not worried, kind of a I guess 'Trivia Question'

Sense peanuts have the possibility of killing people that have peanut allergies,

I wonder what happens to Celiacs who suddenly can't eat peanuts anymore?

Could we really get as sick as to die from eating them? :o

I'm guessing the answer is no, but I'm just curious--

Kim 07

Merika Contributor
I'm just curious, not worried, kind of a I guess 'Trivia Question'

Sense peanuts have the possibility of killing people that have peanut allergies,

I wonder what happens to Celiacs who suddenly can't eat peanuts anymore?

Could we really get as sick as to die from eating them? :o

Hi Kim,

I've never heard of this happening. The peanut thing you're talking about is a specific kind of allergic reaction called anaphylactic shock. I've never heard of anyone developing an anaphylactic shock to any food because of celiac. A food may irritate us and make us feel sick, and may slow our health from improving, but that's all IME.

If you're ok eating peanuts now, you will continue to be. And by the way, people can have anaphylactic shock reactions to ANY food, peanut is just the most common :P

Merika

Claire Collaborator

See how different we all are!

I cannot handle things mad with soy flour. I can handle soy margarine in small amounts.

I can drink soy milk.

We are each weird in our own way. Claire

nogluten- Newbie

Doesnt the law regarding labelling change soon?

Archived