This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Dog Food

tammy

tammy Community Regular

I know there are a few wheat-free dog food brands. Has anyone used or heard any information (quality and safety)about Authority Dog food made by Petsmart and Lick Your Chops brand dog food????

THANKS!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

frenchiemama Collaborator

Just judging by the ingredients, I would choose the lick your chops (I assume you mean the lamb and rice, no?) over the authority.

Silver-naki Rookie

:blink:

Does anyone happen to know about SCIENCE DIET brand (dry) dog food? I'm recently having to switch my house-dog (elderly) over to a Senior dog diet, and this is what my VET has refered me to, as far as a new dog food brand goes~ I forgot to ask him about any "gluten" factors! Yikes!! :huh:

Guest BERNESES

I think Nutro has a lamb and rice dog food too but I'm not sure it's for the senior pups. God bless their souls!

frenchiemama Collaborator

Is there a reason that your dog needs a senior food (specific health problems)? If not, I really would recommend just sticking with an all life stages food. Most senior foods just have more added grains to reduce protein and maybe some glucosamine thrown in.

Here are the ingredients of the science diet. Appears to be gluten free, but IMO it's just plain icky. Your dog does not need to eat all that corn.

Ground Whole Grain Corn, Chicken By-Product Meal, Animal Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Soybean Mill Run, Flaxseed, Corn Gluten Meal, Dried Egg Product, Chicken Liver Flavor, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Vitamin E Supplement, Iodized Salt, vitamins (L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Glucosamine Hydrochloride, L-Lysine, Dicalcium Phosphate, L-Tryptophan, Taurine, minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid, Chondroitin Sulfate, L-Arginine, Beta-Carotene, Rosemary Extract.

Here is a senior formula that is gluten free and I feel is far superior to the SD (and should be the same price or cheaper):

Canidae Platinum:

Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Brown Rice, White Rice, Chicken Fat, (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Sunflower Oil, (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Chicken, Lamb Meal, Herring Meal, Flax Seed, Psyllium Seed Husk, Sun Cured Alfalfa Meal, Norwegian Kelp, Lecithin, Cranberries, Monosodium Phosphate, Choline Chloride, Rosemary Extract, Sage Extract, Riboflavin (Source of Vitamin B2), Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus Oryzae Fermentation Extract, Dried Bacillus Subtilis Fermentation Extract, Inulin (from Chicory Root), Dried Saccharomyces Cerevisiae Fermentation Solubles, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Cobalt Amino Acid Chelate, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid (Source of Vitamin C), L-Carnitine, Choline Chloride, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Niacin, Beta Carotene, D-Biotin, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Chondroitin Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid, Sodium Selenite, Papaya, Pineapple, Vitamin B12 Supplement.

Or the all life stages version:

Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Brown Rice, White Rice, Lamb Meal, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Herring Meal, Flax Seed, Sun Cured Alfalfa Meal, Sunflower Oil, Chicken, Lecithin, Monocalcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Linoleic Acid, Rosemary Extract, Sage Extract, Dried Enterococcus Faecium, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus Oryzae Fermentation Extract, Dried Bacillus Subtilis Fermentation Extract, Inulin (from Chicory root), Saccharomyces Cerevisiae Fermentation Solubles, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Mixed Tocopherols (source of Vitamin E), Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Cobalt Amino Acid Chelate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Ascorbic Acid (source of Vitamin C), Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (source of B2), Beta Carotene, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid, D-Biotin, Sodium Selenite, Papaya, Vitamin B12 Supplement.

psawyer Proficient

I posted a list (not necessarily complete) of gluten free dog food a while back. Here's the link:

Open Original Shared Link

I will look into Science Diet and post an update in 24 hours.

psawyer Proficient

I checked into Science Diet dog food today. I don't carry the large breed formulas, so I can't comment on them.

The regular senior dry formula is gluten free. The Advanced Protection formulas, including the senior, contain oats. The regular adult formula contains wheat. The light formula is gluten free, but contains peanuts (the only dry food I know of with peanuts).

Among the canned formulas that I looked at, all had barley except the light formula.

So, gluten-free summary for Science Diet. These are gluten-free:

Senior dry;

Light dry;

Light canned.

The rest aren't.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived