This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gum...what Kind Do You Chew?

Connie R-E

Connie R-E Apprentice

Charm's (Tootsie Roll Industries, Inc.) (800.877.7655) (vp&e=09/24/02)

Blow Pops; Super Blow Pops

Beech-Nut Gum (000.000.0000) (00/00/00)

Cinnamon 5-stick; peppermint; spearmint

Big League Chew Gum (000.000.0000) (00/00/00)

Original; grape; strawberry

Bubble Yum (000.000.0000) (00/00/00)

All flavors

Care Free Gum (000.000.0000) (00/00/00)

Sugarless Only: bubble gum, cinnamon, peppermint, spearmint

Dentyne Gums (Pfizer) (800-223-0182) (ve=09/02/03)

All products

Dubble Bubble (000.000.0000) (00/00/00)

All products are gluten-free

GUM: Clorets; Dentyne; Freedent (peppermint, winter fresh, spearmint); Trident (all)

:-)

Connie

And, I've heard that Wrigley's are gluten-free, too!

• 3 months later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lauradawn Explorer

I have been chewing Big Red made by Wrigley's, which from my understanding is gluten-free. However, I am rechecking all of my ingredients and foods to make sure I am not missing something, and have not been able to verify this. Just curious if anyone knows and what you like to chew.

Guest jhmom

According to my gluten-free list the following are supposed to be safe:

beechnut (peppermint, spearmint, cinnamom)

Bubblicious

Bubble tape

Bubble Yum

Carefree

Chiclets (reg and tiny)

Clorets

Dentyne

DoubleBubble

Freedent (peppermint, winter fresh, spearmint)

Fruit Stripe

Ice Breakers

Trident (all)

Wonka gumballs

Wrigleys

Hope this helps :D

lauradawn Explorer

Thank you Stacy

• 1 month later...
celiac3270 Collaborator

Yep...I heard about Wrigley's from a nutritionist...I also heard that Wrigley's was the only gluten-free gum.....then again, I've never heard of some of the gums you mentioned, so maybe the nutritionist didn't know about them, either.

• 1 month later...
HappyCat22 Apprentice

I was just wondering if anyone else has reacted to Trident gum? I've been completely gluten-free and milk/lactose free for awhile now, and today I had two pieces of Trident. I'm feeling pretty icky tonight! I thought Trident was okay?

burdee Enthusiast

I have ALWAYS reacted very badly to Trident because of the sorbitol (the indigestible sugar substitute). I would get intense cramping pains and diarrhea, very much like a lot of people get celiac symptoms, but my celiac symptoms were always delayed cramping/bloating and NEVER diarrhea (just the opposite :o ). I now stay FAR away from any sugar free gums and just chew Dentyne Original flavor (I hate those new sugar pellets they recently added) or Bubble Yum Original Flavor.

BURDEE

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

don't forget that the recaldent found in some gums is a milk derivative, so if you're sensitive to casein (not just lactose intolerant, I think), you will react to it.

flagbabyds Collaborator

I chew altoids gum. It is really strong but I love it

burdee Enthusiast

Tarnalberry: OOOPPSS! Is recaldent included in Dentyne and Bubble Yum as well? I could only see: sugar, gum base, glucose syrup, artivicial and natural flavoring, softening (including soy), BHT and red 40 lake, on Dentyne. Don't have any bubble gum in the house. Which of those ingredients (if any) would include recaldent? BTW what IS recaldent? Maybe I'd better hide the rest of my Dentyne pack until I know (I think I had 4 pieces yesterday and I'm STILL having mild symptoms, tho' most have disappeared). :o Thanks for the heads up.

BURDEE

Archived