This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Press Reporting -- Soy-based Foods Bad For Us!

ms-sillyak-screwed

ms-sillyak-screwed Enthusiast

-

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mommida Enthusiast

Finally main stream reporting on this subject!! Hopefully more people will do some more research on the subject.

L

jerseyangel Proficient

That's what I thought this AM when I saw it on the news. At least they are admitting that soy is not the "miracle food" that they always wanted us to believe it was.

Jnkmnky Collaborator

That's why I keep the soy link in my signature. I hate soy. Worse than gluten to remove from your diet!

lonewolf Collaborator

I think soy is pretty close to poison in anything more than small amounts. A teaspoon of soy sauce in a recipe might be okay, but I think mainstream research will start showing that all these people who eat large amounts of it are having problems. I know for me that drinking soy milk really exacerbated my joint pain when I had arthritis. And it can block the absorption of nutrients, which can cause troubles that might not be easily traced to the soy. Good info on the dangers of soy can be found at www.westonaprice.org.

Liz

• 2 months later...

I was just surfing th net lookinf for soy free chocolate and found this I'd like to share with you.

Open Original Shared Link

mmaccartney Explorer

Wow, I am shocked at your interpretation of this article.

The article does not indicate in any way that soy is "bad for you"! Quite the contrary it indicates that earlier claims of the benefits of soy were incorrect. In fact the article points out that soy is good for you!!

"Soy proteins and isoflavones don't have any major health benefits other than soy protein products are generally good foods," said Dr. Frank Sacks, a professor of nutrition at the Harvard School of Public Health in Boston who led the committee. "They're good to replace other foods that are high in cholesterol."

Still, the Heart Association statement notes that soy products like tofu, soy butter, soy nuts and some soy burgers should be heart-healthy because they contain a lot of polyunsaturated fats, fiber, vitamins and minerals and are low in saturated fat.

Nutrition experts say soy-based foods still are good because they often are eaten in place of less healthy fare like burgers and hot dogs. But they don't have as much direct benefit as had been hoped on cholesterol, one of the top risk factors for heart disease.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

VydorScope Proficient
That's why I keep the soy link in my signature. I hate soy. Worse than gluten to remove from your diet!

There is no link in your signaturre...

jerseyangel Proficient

Back in Jan. when she made that statement, it was still in her signature--I remember, because I went to the link and read it :D Personally, if I could tolerate soy, I would include some in my diet. As it is, I can use soy lechitan in dark chocolate and the soy oil in Smart Balance. I just can't use soy protein, milk or flour--I get GI problems from those. :(

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

Um, Ms Sillyak, I didn't see anything in the article that indicates that soy is BAD--did you leave something out by mistake?

Guest BERNESES

I don't like soy either (9it makes me feel ill) but I wonder about the prevalence of soy in the Asian countries where it really has some remarkable effects. I wonder if it's the way we PROCESS it (like everything else) that accounts for some of us having problems with it.

For example, I ate edamame (I LOVE it!) and feel fine but if I eat Tropical Source gluten free dairy free chocolate or soy milk or bars, I feel ill. Does anyone else do OK with pure soybeans but not processed soy?

Rusla Enthusiast

Soy is not bad for you unless you are allergic or have a sensitivity to it. Regular soy sauce is primarily salt and gluten. I love tofu but hate soy milk. If anyone thinks anything is a miracle cure for anything they are not all there. I know what is bad for me and what is not. Just like everyone else knows what is bad for them and what is not or what they do or don't like. But there is no way that article says soy is poison, it just says that it is not all it is hyped up to be but that is the same with anything they tout as being the greatest cure all.

They tout eating beef with all it's mad cow, hormones and dyes and none of that is good for anyone, least of all me. As for veggie burgers, nothing says they have to be made out of soy. Most veggie burgers that you buy in a store have gluten in them. Tofu is like any other protein, I think too much of anything is bad for you. I do not eat tofu every day or even every week but I love it with stir fry veggies. I like soy ice cream and have no problems with it but soy milk I find bitter and disagreeable but all milk to me is that way.

Guest BERNESES
Soy is not bad for you unless you are allergic or have a sensitivity to it. Tofu is like any other protein, I think too much of anything is bad for you.

I agree! Completely.

-

tiredofdoctors Enthusiast

Funny thing is, my kids grew up eating Tofu, not even knowing it!! Had allergy testing done as an adult (hadn't had it done for YEARS) and I'm REALLY allergic to soy! "It's like my mother used to always say . . . Little Roseanne Rosannadanna, it's always something . . . .." (Gilda Radner)

Archived