This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Celiac On Gma

floridanative

floridanative Community Regular

Well I almost fainted a few minutes ago from sheer shock. GMA did a tiny story on celiac disease about 8:21 am today. I could NOT believe what I was seeing. I may have missed it but I don't think they mentioned that some people have 'C' which I think is important to list as a sypmtom as well. But hey, it's a start. I'm going to e-mail Dr. Tim on GMA as well as Robin to thank them. Hopefully some of you will do the same. Have a great day everyone!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

I KNOW! I was talking to my son before he left for work, and was walking back into to kitchen, and I heard the word "gluten" coming from the TV. I went in and saw the rest of the report, and hit the Tivo to record what I missed. I haven't watched it yet--I came up here to post that it was on, and got sidetracked reading the overnight posts! We're finally making the "big time" with GMA.

jerseyangel Proficient

I just e-mailed GMA to thank them for the report.

happygirl Collaborator

After I read that post, I called my mom who loves GMA. She said she taped it for me!!! Good, good Mom!

Wow LauraJ you're mom is a good mom!

Thanks for e-mailing GMA Patti!

I e-mailed GMA too and they actually had several articles on their site - I searched 'Celiac disease' and it said there was no match and then below were several articles on it. I printed them out but I have a question regarding getting info to family members. My GI told me that someone in my family has to have celiac disease if I do but so far I don't know of anyone. I'm planning to send my parents and two grown siblings the most comprehensive article I can find on celiac disease. But it needs to be easy to read so it can't be from a research study. They won't take the time to read and try and understand something like that. And I don't feel like sending them 10 articles b/c they again won't take the time to read. So if you guys could tell me what would you recommend as the absolute best, easiest to read and most comprehensive article on celiac disease. I need it to clearly mention that celiac disease is genetic.

Thanks in advance for any responses!

Guest gfinnebraska

floridanative: I am the only one in my family with celiac disease. Hey, I just figure it has to start somewhere... lucky me!! :( IF someone else has it, then they have no symptoms, signs, etc.

VydorScope Proficient

What is GMA?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
Wow LauraJ you're mom is a good mom!

Thanks for e-mailing GMA Patti! I will also

And I don't feel like sending them 10 articles b/c they again won't take the time to read. So if you guys could tell me what would you recommend as the absolute best, easiest to read and most comprehensive article on celiac disease. I need it to clearly mention that celiac disease is genetic.

Thanks in advance for any responses!

Patti and FN thanks missed it today. rats.

I need a article like that 2...so much out there but want something just like that also for my 31 yr old son.

Judy

jenvan Collaborator

Good Morning America...go here Open Original Shared Link

jerseyangel Proficient

Vincent--GMA=Good Morning America

Tiffany and Judy--Check out this link for information sheets that are, I think, user-friendly:

Open Original Shared Link

The lists titled "Genetic Testing For Celiac Disease" and "Celiac Disease Statistics" may be useful to you. I printed the Statistics list to show to my relatives.

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

thanks Jen and Patti

you guys are always on top of things.

I slept in this am.... :ph34r: wouldn't you know???

was on line last nite till 1:30 trying to find stuff on old threads re: dentist products-- they use. Saw your name Jen a couple of times. Was going to try to 'give you a rest' from my questions...as i've hit you pretty hard in the past :lol: BUT----- :blink: if you do know of the questioning things they use--- maybe you can send to me...still sleepy ;) can't get clicking.... :blink:

know the polishing stuff after cleanings, gloves, power in gloves, things they put on to numb the gums, mouthwash, are in question...???? anything else :blink:

Judy

jerseyangel Proficient

Tiffany--There was another article that someone posted a link to a while back. It was by Phil Lempert--the guy fron the Today Show. At the time, people said it was a good article, and would be a good one to show to relatives, etc. I agreed and printed it and sent it to my mom and dad. For the life of me, I can't remember that thread or the person who posted it. Maybe if they see this, they will let you know.

Patti - I remember the Today article and I e-mailed them to thank them too. So I must have it somewhere in my big Celiac binder...I'll go through it again. I will check the other link you listed above as well. Thanks so much!

Judy - I have a dental cleaning in two months. I would never even thought about this....gosh I'm fairly intelligent but it seems you need to be a rocket scientist to think of everything. Thanks for mentioning. guess I'll call my dentist to see if he has gluten-free stuff to use on me. Surely they would?

Kimberly - My Mother has way more classic symptoms of Celiac than I do. She has her own pepto bismol (sp?) bottle with her name on it so she can drink straight from the bottle. Oh yeah - I'm sure she has it.

Jnkmnky Collaborator
:mellow:
VydorScope Proficient

Ah okay.. I dont watch TV before work (I start at 6aM) so would never have seen it.

jenvan Collaborator

Judy--no problem :) As for the dentist--I asked them to verify all the products they use to be free from wheat, barley, rye and oats. They were able to do so and had an allergy/ingredient manual that classified products by certain allergens. I didn't have any problems with anything. I did not get a flouride treatment or have them verify that however. Is that what you were wanting to know ? I wasn't quite sure...

Vincent - GMA won't know you didn't watch....just thank them and that will help.

I agree with Jnkmnky - we need to send tons of positive responses back to the media when they mention anything about Celiac disease. Boy I'm excited. I'm going to really focus on Martha Stewart now. For some reason I think she may do it before others with large shows. She really isn't the right format (since she'd do a cooking segment) to help people get tested but any publicity at this point is helpful I think. :)

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

Judy - I have a dental cleaning in two months. I would never even thought about this....gosh I'm fairly intelligent but it seems you need to be a rocket scientist to think of everything. Thanks for mentioning. guess I'll call my dentist to see if he has gluten-free stuff to use on me. Surely they would?

quote]

FN--

Are you kidding, I'm intelligent too :lol: but I would NEVER have thought of it. Found a thread on it here a while back and ck'd it out but then-----Think Rachel--24 is the one who clued me in...she was talking yesterday about it on her ' Found a new Dr. thread'

My dentist kept saying.."Are you sure you don't have some other medical condition you've developed that your not telling us...." They mentioned my mouth being so dry...my tooth enamel not right, lots of gum problems..etc. attributed it to the antiob i have to take before going for hip replacement...

I'm calling to ck with them have been putting off going for cleanings because of dx and not wanting to take antiob and screw up my GI system.

Let me know what you find out.ok

Judy in PHilly

SHOOT---CAME ON HERE TO SAY I WROTE A THANKS TO DR TIM AND ROBIN ON GMA...AND FORGOT...BRAINFOG

YOU THINK?

Judy

Nantzie Collaborator

floridanative,

As far as having something to print out for relatives to read, the one I like to reference when wanting to explain everything, but not overwhelm is Open Original Shared Link . It got a pretty good explanation in everyday language. It's also from the National Institutes of Health, which is part of the federal government, so who can argue with that?

Nancy

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
Judy--no problem :) As for the dentist--I asked them to verify all the products they use to be free from wheat, barley, rye and oats. They were able to do so and had an allergy/ingredient manual that classified products by certain allergens. I didn't have any problems with anything. I did not get a flouride treatment or have them verify that however. Is that what you were wanting to know ? I wasn't quite sure...

Yep--thanks Jen.

I really must take the plunge and call them

how are you doing by the way and are you still using you 'spa mat'?

Judy

floridanative,

As far as having something to print out for relatives to read, the one I like to reference when wanting to explain everything, but not overwhelm is Open Original Shared Link . It got a pretty good explanation in everyday language. It's also from the National Institutes of Health, which is part of the federal government, so who can argue with that?

Nancy

WOW WHAT A GREAT SITE

THANKS SOOOOO MUCH :rolleyes:

Judy in Philly

happygirl Collaborator

By chance, I had a dental cleaning shortly after I was diagnosed, by chance. They couldn't verify the ingredients so for my cleaning/polishing, they just used toothpaste with fluroide.

At my new dentist, the hygenist gave me two options-regular cleaning or one with safe baking soda and a water spray. She said she actually prefers to use the baking soda so it worked out well!

Nantzie - that is a great link - thanks! I am down to less than ten sheets of paper now due to printing everything out.

Off to the office supply store after lunch and then on to the library to check out a few books. I want to buy a gluten free guide for easy reference as well. If you only could purchase one book -which one would it be?

Judy - now I at least now why I had to have a root canal last spring. I take very good care of my teeth so the dentist was surprised. Oh and my dad had to have gum surgery a few years back. Maybe there's a connection to Celaic there?

tbuehler Newbie

This could be just what everyone in my family is praying for, a cure for my Mother who has been sick all of her life. Thank you and everyone else for the research and support!!!

mookie03 Contributor

I just emailed GMA- i didnt see the show, but they'll never know that. I love when basic TV stations (CBS, NBC, ABC) address Celiac- i always think they should be rewarded for doing so!

Canadian Karen Community Regular
This could be just what everyone in my family is praying for, a cure for my Mother who has been sick all of her life. Thank you and everyone else for the research and support!!!

I will be keeping your Mom and family in my prayers.... Hopefully, this is the answer to your prayers...

Hugs.

Karen

Archived