This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What To Eat To 'fill Up'

covsooze

covsooze Enthusiast

I've been gluten-free for a month now and am really concious that I eat lots of bread/cereal/cookies etc - all gluten-free but I'm worried that I might be eating too much of the same stuff and develop other intolerances. the thing is, I'm hungry all the time, so I rely on carbs to fill me up. I'm eating loads of fruit veggies and protein as well, so I don't really know how to readjust the balance. I think I've got a problem with rice and nuts, so that makes things a bit more limited.

Any suggestions for tummy fillers? :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Nancym Enthusiast

I eat basically fruit, veggies and meat with some oddities like coconut milk yogurt. Breakfast would be two chicken sausages (big ones). Lunch is usually a large salad with chicken breast and perhaps olives. Dinner is (this week) meat and squash or broccoli or something. Snacks are things like coconut milk yogurt or a piece of fresh fruit.

I am trying to lose weight and it seems like getting plenty of protein in and keeping carbs low really keeps the appetite down. I don't eat refined carbs at all. If calories weren't an issue I'd probably also be doing a lot of eating on nuts and nut butters (cashew/macadamia is awesome!)

Homemade soups are great. I make lots of things with eggs like Lemon Curd which is a wonderful topping on yogurt or cottage cheese.

Unfortunately the carby stuff like crackers and bread seem to make me crave more carby stuff and then the calories pile on.

WGibs Apprentice

What about raw veggies with hummus for a filling snack? Hummus has some carbs, but also protein and fat, so I think it's more balanced than starchy, bready things. More beans in general could be a good thing -- lentil soup is incredibly filling!

If it turns out you can have any nuts, celery with nut butter is great, and they make almond, cashew, etc. if peanut doesn't work for you. I hope you don't have to give up all nuts!

My other thought is eggs! I find eggs really filling, but I sometimes forget about them. You can keep some hard-boiled in the fridge for a quick snack or to toss on top of a salad. I also like to make a scramble with veggies, eggs, and maybe a little meat -- I never have time to do so much in the morning, so I'll have this for dinner sometimes!

Good luck!

StrongerToday Enthusiast

Are there any nuts you can tolerate? When I first started the gluten-free lifestyle, my dietician encouraged me to eat a small serving of nuts (almonds, cashews, peanuts, etc.) with each meal saying that the fats in the nuts help to digest the food more slowly and then it stays with you longer so you're not as hungry again so quickly. When I first started this, I was hungry all the time!! Constantly had to bring snacks with me to make it through a few hours. I still have "emergency rations" in my purse, but rarely use them now.

elye Community Regular

Protein, protein, protein! That's what keeps my hunger at bay between meals, and the plant-based sources most of all: legumes and nuts. This is an important part of a training athlete's maintenance, as well...filling the meal gaps with small shots of protein. Fills you up and provides energy for working muscles, something we all can probably use. I lost all of my pregnancy weight (both times) doing this. Good luck!

ianm Apprentice

Protien, green veggies, moderate amounts of fruit, yogurt, cheese and nuts do the trick for me. Refined, processed carbs are off limits because they only make you crave more. I was once one of the super heavy weight celiacs but not anymore. It takes time for your body to readjust to the reduced food intake. I now only eat about 30% of what I used to eat and I never feel hungry.

minibabe Contributor

I dont know if this is politically correct, but when I am craving a snack, I go and get a bananna split (3 scoops of icecream) :D IT IS SO GOOD!

Amanda NY

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

eleep Enthusiast

2nd -- perhaps 3rd the beans thing -- any legume really helps fill me up and I know it's high fiber and plenty nutritious. I've got a great recipe for lobio -- which is a kidney bean/walnut vinaigrette salad thing -- actually, I got it from the Moosewood Cafe _Daily Special_ cookbook -- which isn't gluten-free, but does have a ton of gluten-free recipes for soups and salads.

Mango04 Enthusiast

Bean Soup using Bob's Red Mill 13 Bean mix. There's a whole bunch of different ways you can cook it too. It's really good and filling.

kaylie Newbie

Thanks so much for the input. I am a carb queen and since being gluten free, I have given myself a green light to eat whatever as long as there was no gluten in it. I need to stop that program asap!!! My weakness is Panda Puff cereal!! I can eat it by the box full!!! I know I have to get back to protein and produce!!!

Carriefaith Enthusiast
I've been gluten-free for a month now and am really concious that I eat lots of bread/cereal/cookies etc - all gluten-free but I'm worried that I might be eating too much of the same stuff and develop other intolerances. the thing is, I'm hungry all the time, so I rely on carbs to fill me up. I'm eating loads of fruit veggies and protein as well, so I don't really know how to readjust the balance. I think I've got a problem with rice and nuts, so that makes things a bit more limited.
Maybe try eating foods that are high in protein such as turkey, shrimp, and fish.
GC1 Rookie

Don't sweat it, your body is likely in 'regeneration mode'... rebuilding damage from gluten posioning; bones, muscle, skin, organs, etc. My hunger increased dramatically at first, and continued for 4 months... I regrew hair, my skin improved, muscles firmed up, shoulders broadened, gum disease healed, etc, etc. To be honest, I ate everything in sight... mostly quality foods, but some not so good; ice cream, candy bars, potatoes, grits, sausage, and other low nutient foods. But most was quality items like chicken breasts, [local] eggs, fish, nuts, seeds, BE Peas, collards, etc, etc.

For some reason, now I can't get enough raspberry sorbet... mixed with lowfat chocolate ice cream/milk, it's better than heaven!

GC

bluejeangirl Contributor

Don't sweat it, your body is likely in 'regeneration mode'... rebuilding damage from gluten posioning; bones, muscle, skin, organs, etc. My hunger increased dramatically at first, and continued for 4 months... I regrew hair, my skin improved, muscles firmed up, shoulders broadened, gum disease healed, etc, etc. To be honest, I ate everything in sight... mostly quality foods, but some not so good; ice cream, candy bars, potatoes, grits, sausage, and other low nutient foods. But most was quality items like chicken breasts, [local] eggs, fish, nuts, seeds, BE Peas, collards, etc, etc.

For some reason, now I can't get enough raspberry sorbet... mixed with lowfat chocolate ice cream/milk, it's better than heaven!

GC

I think the biggest mistake when going on a gluten free diet is to only concentrate on whether a food is gluten free or not and if it isn't you eat it. While it is important to find foods that are gluten free its easy to fill up on carbs. I remember eating half a bag of barbra's jalepeno cheese curls and couldn't stop. I was caught up in it being a safe food but after so many days of eating like that I kick up alot of candida. I'm reading alot of post where people are asking why they feel a certain way and I know its candida which I think goes hand and hand with celiac because our guts are out of balance. Read up on this if you can. Also my blood sugar was making me crave more and more sweets and feeling tired and crabby. I went to a high protein, high veggie, low carb diet and I feel great now. And no hunger and mood swings. Its the way I usually eat but forgot to keep it up when I went gluten free.

CMCM Rising Star
I eat basically fruit, veggies and meat with some oddities like coconut milk yogurt. Breakfast would be two chicken sausages (big ones). Lunch is usually a large salad with chicken breast and perhaps olives. Dinner is (this week) meat and squash or broccoli or something. Snacks are things like coconut milk yogurt or a piece of fresh fruit.

I am trying to lose weight and it seems like getting plenty of protein in and keeping carbs low really keeps the appetite down. I don't eat refined carbs at all. If calories weren't an issue I'd probably also be doing a lot of eating on nuts and nut butters (cashew/macadamia is awesome!)

Homemade soups are great. I make lots of things with eggs like Lemon Curd which is a wonderful topping on yogurt or cottage cheese.

Unfortunately the carby stuff like crackers and bread seem to make me crave more carby stuff and then the calories pile on.

Nancy...what is coconut milk yogurt?? I've never heard of it. Is it good?

carole

covsooze Enthusiast

Thanks for all the really helpful responses. I don't need low carbs to lose weight - if anything I need to be gaining weight. But I agree that if I have too many carbs, I just crave more and it really does effect my mood swings. i guess I need to do some work on getting the whole protein balance right. And I can't wait until I get my York test results back so I can have more info about other intolerances. It's amazing what food does to our bodies, isn't it?

Archived