This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Candida Releated Complex

whitelacegal

whitelacegal Contributor

I wondered if anyone has ever heard of this? My doctor (GI) diagnosed me with Celiac after biopsy of the intestines, but i am wondering if i have candida instead of celiac? or if this has anything to do with Celiac disease, cause i have had problems after taking alot of antibiotics and have had postive culture of Candida in the mouth?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest LisaB

It is my opinion that most of Celiac patients probably have Candida. If you have had damage in your intestines and there is undigested food there to be consumed and you are weakened as well, then throw antibotics in the mix (anyone having long standing health problems has probably taken them at one time or another) that is a breeding ground for Candida. I have known that I have Candida for almost 20 years but have not been able clear the infection totally, now that I know I have Celiac as well, it is understandable why.

• 2 weeks later...
byuiemily Newbie

What is Candida?

Guest LisaB

This is what one article had to say: Candida Albicans is a yeast infestation, from a parasite that thrives in warm-blooded animals. In the allopathic world of medicine it is referred as a fungus. This fungus can cause thrush and vaginal infections and spread to any part of the body that is weakened. We all have intestinal candida and when in balance it helps maintain and aid our immune system by controlling the unfriendly organisms. However, Candida Albicans takes advantage of circumstances in the body. This single cell fungi multiplies and develops toxins which circulate in the blood stream which cause an array of maladies.

Candida produces an alcohol called ethanol producing an intoxicating effect in the blood if the count level is too high. Ethanol grows rapidly when yeast has a food source like white sugar or white floor products. In severe cases it produces much more than the liver can oxidize and eliminate. It can produce a false estrogen and make the body think it has enough, which signals the body to cease production. Or send messages to the thyroid, making it think it has enough stopping the production of thyroxin. The cause of this is menstrual problems and hypothyroid problems.

Another byproduct is acetaldehyde and it is related to formaldehyde this disrupts collagen production, fatty acid oxidation and blocks normal nerve functions. Basically it interferes with the normal functions of the entire body and is a severe problem. One way to get an overdose of candida in the system is by taking antibiotics and birth control pills, and consuming sugar products. Candida feeds on antibiotics (it is their food source). Other causes: cortisone, progesterone suppositories, faulty diets, diet, too much meat, weakened immune systems, and hi-mercury levels from mercury fillings.

Guest LisaB

Also, here are a list of symptoms. Many of us probably thought Candida was our sole problem originally, but were unable to get over the condition and now we know why our bodies were in a perpetually weak state and our intestines were a perfect breeding ground for the infection.

Some Symptoms:

anxiety

constipation

hiatal hernia

depression

burning in eyes

rashes

dry or sore throat

inability to cope

adrenal failure

dizziness/vertigo

intestinal pain/colitis

hyper-irritability

asthma

feeling drained

puffy eyes

energy loss

thyroid failure

hyperactivity

inability to absorb food

insomnia

chemical sensitivity

muscle weakness

panic attacks

loss of concentration

bloating

food cravings

dry mouth

fatigue

food sensitivity

hives odors cold

belching heartburn

migraine headaches

bladder infections

mouth infections / thrush

spots in front of eyes

mental confusion

hay fever

Lastly I will say that if you are told you have it, the first thing they will say is that you have to go off sugar and all starchy foods, etc. However, it has been proven that once an infection is present it cannot be starved to death as they would have you believe (if the person then starved themselves to death, the candida would still be present I once read). Digestive enzymes can be used to get the infection under control, also I am now using Virgin Coconut Oil as it contains acids that are said to destroy the protective coating that candida forms to hide from the immune system and then your body can rid itself. If you do a search on this forum under coconut oil you will find some good info on it from another discussion. I am trying this method instead of the higher amounts of enzymes needed to get rid of the infection because coconut oil is said to also helps the thyroid recover and is such an easy lipid for the system to assimilate that it burns as a carbohydrate without being one. I take enzymes also, but cannot afford to stay at the levels it takes to dispose of candida (which you have to stay at for several months). I have heard the enzyme method works well however.

whitelacegal Contributor

Lisa, you seem very knowledge about this, how would i get some virgin coccanut oil?

Guest LisaB

I use NOW Organic Virgin Coconut Oil and get it online at www.totaldiscountvitamins.com I did a lot of research and tried another brand as well and the quality and taste differs greatly, I trust NOW because they have high standards of quality and purity and they label when supplements are gluten free.

Here is a site that has a lot of info on the what Coconut Oil is good for: Open Original Shared Link

They recommend taking about 3 Tablespoons a day, you can cook with it (makes a great stir fry) or add it to a smoothie (great with fruit), I add a bit to each cup of coffee I have and cook with it and take it plain sometimes.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

LUAP Newbie

LISA,

TANK YOU FOR THE EXPLANATION. TANK YOU ALSO FOR THE COCONUT OIL TIP. A DIDN'T KNEW ABOUT IT.

ALSO, I DON'T KNOW IF I UNDERSTAND EVERYTHING. WHEN I READ YOU:

However, Candida Albicans takes advantage of circumstances in the body.

IT'S NOT WHAT I LEARNED FROM WHAT I READ: WHAT I LEARNED FROM THAT SUBJECT IS ABOUT MOLDS. THE MORE YOU EAT MOLDS, THE MORE YOU GOT CHANCES TO GET THAT DISEASE. HAVE A LOOK AT THIS:

Open Original Shared Link

SO, THAT WOULD BE THE POINT TO NO GRAIN DIET AND CLOSER TO RAW DIET TO...

DID I MISUNDERSTOOD SOMETHING?

PAUL

Guest LisaB

Paul,

That link did not work for me, what is the name of the article and how do you find it on that site?

The only thing I can think of that you may have been reading about would be toxic molds, they can be inhaled (breathed in thru the mouth or nose) or eaten and cause health problems. As you probably know, there are many different kinds of molds/fungus and Candida in its original state is a friendly type that is already in the body. When we have a situation in our systems where the balance is not correct then it can change form and grow, causing an big problem. It can punch holes in the intestinal walls and leave the area, causing leaky gut because there are now areas that food and other materials can pass into the body directly.

You will have to let me know about that article or maybe you can copy some of it and post it here for us to read. :) Hope this makes it a bit more clear.

LUAP Newbie

THE PRESENTATION IS ON POWERPOINT FORMAT.

Food is the Substrate (slide 2)

Fungal toxins or mycotoxins (SLIDE 2 IS THE TABLE OF CONTENT)

Aflatoxins

Trichothecenes

T-2 Toxin

Diacetoxyscirpenol

Vomatoxin or deoxynivalenol

Ochratoxins

Fumonisins

Zearalenone

a resorcyclic lactone

Ergot alkaloids

Guest LisaB

I don't see any reference to Candida and do not have Power Point so I cannot look over the presentation. It does still look like they are referring to toxic molds to me, they can have many if not all of the same effects as Candida but different origins.

whitelacegal Contributor

Yes lisa i am off all sugars and almost everything else to lol but i am seeing some of my problems like diarrhea disaapear after getting rid of sugar in my diet, when i got rid of gluetin i still had the diarrhea and didnt go away till i got rid of the sugar! :)

LUAP Newbie

CANDIDA IS JUST A FAMILY OF YEAST. SOME SITES ARE MAKING IT A MONSTER TO MAKES YOU AFFRAID, AND TO HELP YOU MAKE THE RIGHT CHOICE OF BUYING THEIR PRODUCTS. HERE IS A VERY GOOD EXPLANATION AND THAT CORRELATE WHAT YOUR SAYING.

IF YOU READ CAREFULLY, YOUR GONNA SEE THAT IT IS ALREADY PRESENT IN FOOD :o , ACCORDING TO WHAT I AM SAYING TO.

ME, BECAUSE I AM COELIAQUE, I THINK THAT IF I DON'T WANT TO HAVE PROBLEMS WITH MOLDS, BETTER HAVE THE RIGHT DIET...AND THE RIGHT DIET DOESN'T MEAN ONLY EXCLUDE RYE, WHEAT AND BARLEY.

PAUL

Guest LisaB

Paul,

I understand what you are saying, but we are not just speaking just of a type of yeast, we are speaking of a medically documented health conditioin. Yes, Candida is a type of yeast, but when you have Systematic Candidiasis (I hope I spelled that right) you have a condition in which your own bodies naturally occuring candida flora has gone thru the asexual reproduction (as discribed in that link) and has gotten out of control due to one of many factors. Once this has happened, it is very hard to get it back into proper balance and you have the added problem of it usually being outside the intestines at this point. It forms around itself a protein coating (as many virus and bacteria do as well) and thus it hides from the immune system, especially if you have low enzyme levels and cannot break down protein and carbohydrates very well. That is where the enzyme therapy and coconut oil comes in, protease digests the outer coating and cellulase/amylase aid the body in digesting the candida itself, especially in areas outside the digestive tract. Coconut oil has the right acids to dispose of the protein coating as well, allowing the body to "see" the candida and attack it.

So, enzyme therapy or taking digestive enzymes is very important for more than just getting your nutrition from your food, it is also a part of the immune system and every system in the body uses enzymes for multiple jobs. I believe they make all the difference in the world.

If your still unclear about this being a health risk, ask your doctor, this is not just something companies are using to make sales. With the overuse of antiboitics, many, many people suffer from this condition.

LUAP Newbie

OK NOW, LET

Guest LisaB

That is all really good information, thank you.

Olive Leaf is great, it helps with many viral infections, I used to take it and forgot about it, thank you for the reminder. Lomatium is also good, especially for Epstein Barr Virus and others. I know that Poe D

whitelacegal Contributor

that is a real good list but i always thought you was supposed to stay away from all fruit when on this diet cause of the sugar in it? I was on the diet till 2 days ago when i had to take antibiotics again for severe sinus problems and i dont know if they are from yeast or not yet, they want to do a operation! :(

j9n Contributor

This is a very interesting topic. Is this the small as small bowel bacterial overgrowth. My GI keeps mentioning it as a possibility. I have never been able to tolerate sugar, pure sugar makes me very nauseated. I had a month of relief with flagyl and about a week of relief after a small bowel follow through. I have been researching this topic just this morning. I am so sick of being sick. My GI won't let me have any antibiotics until he finds out what is wrong so I am looking for natural remedies. I am going to go low carb and since it the craze right now it should be pretty easy

Guest LisaB

whitelacegal,

Well first off, I will say that I would not be going the surgery route unless it were unavoidable and by that I mean life threatening and time was running out. Doctors do not have enough respect for the human body and think going around tinkering with it is, cutting into it, pumping you full of whatever chemical is in vogue is fine and dandy.

I respect what surgeons are able to do, it is amazing, but cutting the body effects it more than they have an understanding of and in my opinion, usually isn't even close to necessary. They aren't evil, but you have to remember that they are out to make a buck.

Sinus problems can be a symptom of Candida and there are so many natural alternatives to antibotics (which are only going to worsen your Candida and are bad for the immune system period) that it is a shame. I have heard wonderful things about probiotics, if you do a search on these boards under the word you will see what is said about using them after your treatment (and all the time) and how that may help you recover. Usnea, Elecampagne, Echincea and many other herbs (Kyolic Garlic has no smell and would really help the infection, Olive Leaf is really wonderful as was said) help with both intestinal and sinus infections. Simply rinsing(snorting it up) your nose with salt (sea salt) water helps a lot too.

As far as whether to have fruit in your diet, I have tried the Candida diet and it didn't do a gosh darn thing for me. My original point stands, as I found out, you cannot starve the Candida....if you are actively treating it, you may not want to give it too much fuel (it does grow faster in a sugar rich enviroment) but I don't feel fruit is an issue, it has too many benefits to the immune system and Candida feeds on all carbohydrates, so it is unreasonable to believe you can cut out everything that it could eat.

Guest LisaB

j9n,

I don't know that there is a specific area of the intestines that Candida gets a foothold, I'm sure it infects different people in different areas to start and then can eventually become a body wide infection (Systematic Candidiasis).

I was trying to remember the probiotic that someone said was gluten-free and worked well for them and I just got it, Primal Defense click here for info: Open Original Shared Link

I haven't tried it yet, but it sure looks good. Like I said, enzymes and the coconut oil (virgin, preferrable organic) has done good things for me but I know I have a ways to go. And the list that Paul posted is a great source of info.

LUAP Newbie

WHITELACEGAL

THAT'S A PRETTY GOOD QUESTION ABOUT WETHER EAT FRUIT OR NOT BECAUSE THEY A FULL OF MOLDS. BUT I THINK THE ANSWER COME WITH THE FACT THAT THEY ARE FULL OF ANTI OXYDANT TO, WICH IS GREAT AGAINST CANCER. (BAD FOR MOLDS BUT GOOD AGAINST CANCER.

HERE IS A HYPERLINK OF THE LEVEL OF TOXICITY IN GRAIN. SORRY IF IT'S IN FRENCH.

THE GRID SHOWS THAT THE LESS TOXIC GRAIN IS RICE WITH 5 POINT. SO IT'S THE ONLY GRAIN I EAT.

I HAVE FORGOT IN THE LIST:

GOOD BACTERIA

- GREEN PAPAYA

FOOD THAT DESTROYS MOLDS

- OREGANO

- GRAPEFRUIT SEEDS

I AM ALSO GONNA GIVE IT A TRY TO MAT

whitelacegal Contributor

Lisa and paul,

Im so glad that i have you guys to talk to about yeast cause alot of people and doctors dont believe in this concept, do either of you know anything about coconut oil and if this could help someone out with yeast?

whitelacegal Contributor

Hey lisa,

Im going to the gastro doc today again last time i went there he told me that yeast can not get into the intestinal track but ever since my ent doc has me of diflucan i have been alot better with everything, i tell u i feel like im playing a losing battle here, im gonna go to a homeopath doc the end of June that i hope can help me out with this.

Guest LisaB

Hi, hope your visit goes well. I answered your question about the coconut oil a few days ago, but it disappeared, I must not have clicked "post".

In one of my previous posts I said that Virgin Organic Coconut Oil (NOW brand is what I use) does seem to help. There is a lot of info on these boards about it, do a search under virgin coconut and you will see the discussions and links to more info.

can not get into the intestinal track

Did he say in or out of the intestines?

whitelacegal Contributor

Lisa,

Hey went to gastro today, i told him that i seemed to have yeast in my mouth and he told me that i could not have yeast in my mouth cause im on diflucan which the ent prescribed me, he told me last time that it is not possible to have yeast in your intestines inside, heck he dont even believe its possible to have yeast period! Im not gonna go back to him cause i know i have yeast, had a postive culture of yeast in my mouth last month at the ent office. Im gonna go to a homeopath doc at the end of June i just cant stand this circle of docs anymore!!

Archived