This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Unexpected Positive Effects Of New gluten-free Eating Habits?

munchkinette

munchkinette Collaborator

I've noticed since I've started avoiding wheat that I've changed some other habits. I am now flossing every day because I'm eating so much corn. My dental health has really improved. :)

I'm curious- what other unexpected effects have you all experienced after avoiding wheat? I know there are lots of common improvements like energy and stuff. I'm curious about other little random habits that changed as a result of the gluten-free diet.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
mookie03 Contributor

I now go to the market to get fresh fruit and veggies 2x a week- i had maybe been there once in my life before! So i guess thats one positive change, though not as "random" as i guess u intended but thats about all i can come up with off the top of my head...

penguin Community Regular

I'm still really psyched about the blood sugar seeming to even out, never expected that! :D I was actually expecting it to get worse without having whole wheat whatevers...

And my mood, hot dang! :P

(DH appreciates that one!)

I get to shop in Whole Foods and Central Market now, where DH wouldn't let me go because I'm too much of a foodie to not get in trouble :ph34r:

Mango04 Enthusiast

Before going gluten-free, I could never walk or run for more than a few minutes without getting extremely itchy unbearable pain in my legs. Now I can power walk for miles with no problems.

floridanative Community Regular

For about a year when I woke up I could not make a ball with my fists. I assumed it was the onset of arthritis but dind't get tested yet. Now after almost 4 weeks off gluten, my fists are only a tiny bit stiff for a couple of minutes after I wake and then they are fine. The only explanation is the lack of gluten in my body now. Arthritis affects many Celiacs if who are walking around undiagnosed.

marciab Enthusiast

I never thought I would get over becoming a vegetarian. But I tried eating meat again this week and I really don't care if I ever eat it again. It doesn't taste as good to me as I remembered. marcia

Rachel--24 Collaborator

I learned how to cook! And then I learned how to BAKE!! :D

Cooking is alright...baking is FUN!

I assumed I hated these domestic type things and the only appliances I had any use for were the microwave and the fridge. I now use the stove and oven everyday. People who havent seen me in a few years would be amazed.

I also discovered that vegetables arent so bad after all and I love fruit.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest Robbin

It's only been a little over 3 wks gluten-free for me, but I have to say, other than the physical improvements, I feel more confident that I will get well and that attitude alone has made me feel more energetic and disciplined in other areas of my life. I actually start AND finish projects now since I have a little more energy and HOPE!

Rusla Enthusiast

Outside of my DH clearing up, the big D very rarely appears and is not that big when it does. For years I had horrible cramps that would almost bring me to my knees in the washroom, I would sweat and be in extreme pain. I have not had an episode since being gluten-free. Not only that but the big dark circles under my eyes are gone and my extreme tiredness is not as bad. I have noticed many changes. I always liked fruit and veggies but now I eat more fresh ones than ever before. I eat three apples a day and I am addicted to fruit and vegetables.

nikki-uk Enthusiast

A big positive has to be a healthier diet,-more fruit and veg,more fresh food, no processed rubbish.

I'm gluten-free but It's my husband who is the celiac,(I went gluten-free to support him)but I found that my skin condition eczema cleared up !

My husband used to get reoccuring(sp?)styes on his eyelids,but none since gluten-free. :lol:

penguin Community Regular

I can eat tomato sauce and drink orange juice without excruciating pain, or even so much as a little heartburn!!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

jnclelland Contributor

The primary positive effect was that nasty eczema of many years' duration went away. But lots of other positives too:

- My digestion is better - I didn't even realize it was problematic until it got better!

- I feel "lighter" - like there was always a big rock in my stomach that I wasn't aware of, and it went away.

- My blood sugar is better regulated

- I have a lot less free-floating fear and anxiety

- Lower blood pressure (not that it was bad before - but it's down about 10 points)

There's probably more that I'm just not thinking of right now...

Jeanne

jenvan Collaborator

the most random of all for me was that my fingernails grow faster now...quite a bit faster!

kabowman Explorer

I eat veggies at every meal and for snacks...plus all the physical goodies. Oh, my kids only eat healthy foods (except for treats occasionally) for every meal.

cgilsing Enthusiast

I don't know why I didn't even consider that all of my ailments could be connected before I started a gluten-free diet. But they were!

1. I couldn't sleep a wink without a tylenol pm before gluten-free...now I'm still a light sleeper, but I fall asleep fine and

get plenty of rest.

2. All my skin rashes went away

3. My thinning hair grew back

4. My gums don't bleed anymore when I brush my teeth

5. No dark circles under my eyes

6. Most importantly I fell like myself again, not the depressed grump I became :D

Guest stef 4 dogs
For about a year when I woke up I could not make a ball with my fists. I assumed it was the onset of arthritis but dind't get tested yet. Now after almost 4 weeks off gluten, my fists are only a tiny bit stiff for a couple of minutes after I wake and then they are fine. The only explanation is the lack of gluten in my body now. Arthritis affects many Celiacs if who are walking around undiagnosed.

potentionally you had trouble making a fist because of periphral neuropathy. Nerves tendons and muscles work together, thereby masking some other problems. I know from my expierience that was the case for me according to the Neurologist I saw.

Stef 4 dogs

jnclelland Contributor

Oooh, one more: I can sleep through the night without having to wake up and pee!

Jeanne

• 3 months later...
Kataza Newbie

I'm delighted to read all this-as someone who has been gluten-free for a week - there's a lot to look forward to. I already have noticeably more energy. Hope my hair gets better and I even hope my hypothyroidism might go into remission [which it does in 10% of cases]

Girl Ninja Newbie

I didn't even realize until I read through this thread that my gums had stopped bleeding! It happened every single time I brushed my teeth for as long as I can remember. I don't know when it stopped, but I bet my dentist will be thrilled.

celiacgirls Apprentice

My fingers are thinner. I always thought I had "fat" fingers but I guess it was just swelling.

I used to have dandruff and that went away.

ArtGirl Enthusiast

This is a great thread. I can't wait until I've been on the gluten-free diet long enough to add to the list. You all give a newbee great hope!

corinne Apprentice

I've learned to cook and actually make good food enjoy. I've started eating fruit and veggies and like them (I lived on pancakes and top Ramen in grad school which probably started everything). Now, my diet is much better and I can avoid some health problems when I get older.

Jestgar Rising Star

I just feel like I deserve better.

I buy more organic produce. I spend the whole weekend watching movies if I feel like it. Everything is just nicer.

And when do those dark circles go away?

kbtoyssni Contributor

No more depression!!!

And I have so much more energy. For years I would come home from work and just crash, never realizing that wasn't normal. Now that I've started work again I'm surprised and thankful everyday that I can go home, workout and then get together with friends and not need to nap. Basically, I have a normal, healthy life again. I'd been gradually getting worse for so long, I never noticed it happening.

skbird Contributor

For me - thicker/faster growing nails, less moody, fewer hypoglycemia symptoms (that was the biggest thing of all), and also treating myself to better food, as well. I shop at mostly health food stores now - we don't eat out like we used to so I look at it as I'm saving that money and can spend it on better food.

In fact, my husband just went to an alternative healer the other day who was asking about his/our diet and when he told her about the stuff we eat, she was really impressed! :)

Stephanie

Archived