This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

"red Robin" In Exton Pa--outstanding Resturant Experience

Judyin Philly

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

I know we are all so concerned about the resturant back lash from the Mcd's publicity.

Have to share this wonderful dining experience. They made me feel so "Special" instead of "Different or a Problem they had to deal with."

Hubby, Jim, took me out for a drive on Saturday because he knew what a rough week I'd had. We stumpled on this resutrant Red Robin. I showed my gluten-free card to the person seating us. I said I just wanted a hamburger and fries. Did they have a designated frier for the french fries. "Oh, no problem at all. I'll show this card to our manager."

We hadn't even gotten settled in our seats when the manager, Dave Howk, came to our table where we had a indepth converstation about celiac disease. Red Robin welcomes children and is such a fun place for them...He said he had parents telling him about their childrens medical needs and he was so supportive and eager to have them come in. Said he many of the parents bring in their children because they trusted the resturant.

I told him I hadn't had a french frie in 7 months and wanted a hamburger with no bun. He suggested I do a lettuce wrap and the hostess had already told him I wanted french fries. He'd alread had them in a special pot-- cooking alone in oil--- 'just for me' Well, I was so happy I was giddy. I even had a glass of wine. :lol:

The waiter, Jeremy, came over and knew all about what I wanted from the manager and couldn't have done enough to ensure that all during the meal everything was to my liking.

After our meal, Dave, came over and talked to us again, in lenght, about what they could do to ensure that their resturant was a safe, friendly place for celiac's to dine. Gave us a 'special guest packet' with stickers etc and a $1.00 off c/o.

We exchanged emails and phone numbers and he said he'd call me Sunday morning to see how I was feeling. On the way home I started bleching, hr later stomach cramping and of course in an hr I was glad I was in my bathroom.

I called him and told him there was something that was not right even tho he had tried so hard....by questioning the pickes, no mayo, maybe me and the onions, maybe the wine but didn't think so...and then asked the magic question....what kind of oil did you do the fries in? He went and looked at the container and said, "it's just vegatable oil and SOY. Of course, for me that was the trigger. He was so apologetic but I said no "we got to the bottom of it" All celiac's aren't the same and so the less ingredients in any products they use the better. He was going to order and stock pure olive oil to use for the celiac disease customers.

We talked again on Sunday and he had already ordered the Trumiph dining cards I'd recommened -- in English to post around the kitchen. He'd called another manager of a Red Robin, Scott Welch, who was also so excited about this and they are going to contact coroporate to discuss having a few items-- like what I had (minus the wine :lol: ).

They are commited to getting more information on Celiac disease so they can help us. I am passing on this post to them. Nancy Patin Faline, MA,RD,LDN, who wrote the kids book, sugested they look at this web site www.glutenfreerestaurants.org.

When Resturants like this chain, are commited to help us, and we in turn, take the time to help them, it's a Win - Win for us all.

Let's all try to spend our time, energy & expertice in working together to create wonderful dining experiences rather than spending time trying to sue resturants who have let us down.

Red Robin resturants are all over the US. Here is their web site www.RedRobin.com. While checking out the web site I saw some in CA that list some gluten-free items.

Check them out. I hope you try them and your experience was a terrific as mine.

Judy in Philly

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Rusla Enthusiast

Judy, I am so thrilled for you that you had such a great experience. We used to have a Red Robin here but no more. It is so nice to find a place that not only knows what Celiac is but goes out of their way to help those with dietary concerns. I think that manager deserves a big kiss.

jnclelland Contributor

I actually just had a really good experence a few days ago at a Red Robin in Boulder, CO. I ordered the rice/veggie/chicken bowl with some modifications (i.e., no crunchy oriental noodles, no teriyaki sauce), and the kitchen manager came out to ask me if certain things were okay, and said she'd cook it herself. Everything was great, no problems!

Jeanne

GlutenFreeAl Contributor

You know what? Your experience really reassures me. And give me hope.

I agree, out society is incredibly litigious and sue-happy. I don't think that lawsuits against McDonald's will help our cause at all. If anything, it will just discourage restaurants from labeling things gluten free to avoid a lawsuit.

Let's focus on the positive!!! (Wow, was that corny or what?)

Becky6 Enthusiast

I just saw one of these this weekend and couldn't find anything on their menu about gluten-free! I should call the one here in MN! Thanks for your sharing your experience!

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

HI

This is the responce I rec'd today from the Red Robin Restaruant post I did last nite and forwarded to them on a survey they asked people to fill out on line.

Some of you said you didn't see gluten-free items on the menu. They don't have a gluten-free icon beside the entree's at this restarunt but as you can see here--- they have them and can prepare them for us. I'd recommend you call ahead and ck with them and tell them you time you plan of coming.

good luck to you all. I'd also recommend that if you go I'd take the time to fill out the form on line. It's obvious they like to hear from us..If it is not good, I share that and what suggestions you can make to help them out. The manager, Dave called me today to tell me they ck'd out the oil they used, and olive oil has too high a flash point to use (great info for me too) and will use a pure vegatable oil but are researching the ingred in it now....what service... :lol:

Judy in philly

Hi Judy,

Thank you for stopping by our website and taking time to comment. We appreciate our guest's feedback.

I have forwarded your comments on to the franchisee who operates this Red Robin. I know they will be glad to hear about the exceptional service that was provided to you. Also, I have included a list of gluten-free food item options from the Red Robin menu. Red Robin will do its best to customize orders to meet your dietary needs. Hopefully there's something on this list you'll enjoy.

· Steak Fries

· Cheese

· Produce Items

· Guacamole

· Salsa

· Black Beans

· Turkey Breast Meat

· Beef patty

· Lettuce Wrap Burger

· Carnitas meat

· Grilled Chicken Breast Fillet

· Egg

· Turkey patty

· Grilled Salmon

· Rice

· Side of cooked vegetables

Current Entrees Revised

· Cobb Salad

· Crispy Chicken Salad, substitute crispy chicken with grilled chicken

· Fajita Pollo, minus corn strips.

General Information

· Red Robin will customize orders to meet dietary needs.

· Salad Dressings and mayo do contain vinegar in the ingredients list. The vinegar is not malt vinegar.

· The Red Robin Seasoning is sprinkled on the beef patty and steak fries after cooking. The Seasoning does not contain wheat, barley, oat or rye glutens. It may contain naturally occurring glutamates. These items can be ordered without Red Robin Seasoning. Please inform your server if you desire no seasoning.

· Corn strips may be fried in a common fryer.

· Steak fries are fried in a designated fryer.

Please inform your server and the manager on duty so that they can help meet your dietary needs.

Thank you for being a Red Robin Guest!

Jennifer

jerseyangel Proficient

That sounds like a great place, Judy! Now if we could get them to open a place over here in Jersey.....

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

luvs2eat Collaborator

what an awesome experience!! I'll put them on my list for a visit!!

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

:) These are the 2 emails I got back from one of the managers at Red Robin.

EMAIL #1

Judy,

Yes, I did receive your E-mails. Thank You so much !!!!

I am sorry if you didn't receive my responds earlier.

I would like to meet you. All the information you have sent us is a Great help

to make us better operators. This is great stuff !!

We are going to use it to coach and teach are staff.

Thanks again,

Scott Welch

Red Robin--Exton

EMAIL #2

We received the Triumph Dining Cards today.

More Great Information !!!!

Scott

This is one of the things I sent them to look into--

" Nancy Patin Faline, MA,RD,LDN, who also wrote the kids book, sugested they look at this web site www.glutenfreerestaurants.org. to help get some information."

If you find a restaurant you like, maybe you would want to share this site with them. Good luck you guys!

Things are looking up for us. :)

Judy in Philly

Guest barbara3675

It is heart-warming when restaurants go out of their way for us. First I read about Chili's on the board today and now Red Robin. For people who really enjoy dining out, the selection is getting better. Be sure to remember Noodles, Inc. who have a wonderful meal that is gluten-free.---I order: Buttered rice noodles with the veggie trio (pea pods, broccoli and peppers) with chicken breast and they put parmesean cheese on it. It is delightful and I order it everytime I get near a Noodles!!!!!!!!! I always remind them that I eat gluten-free so not to combine my food with any other that has wheat. They are so nice at the Noodles where I go and a BONUS...I put my business card in the last time I went there and have a free meal for myself and a couple of others next time I am in that town. Barbara

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
It is heart-warming when restaurants go out of their way for us. First I read about Chili's on the board today and now Red Robin. For people who really enjoy dining out, the selection is getting better. Be sure to remember Noodles, Inc. who have a wonderful meal that is gluten-free.---I order: Buttered rice noodles with the veggie trio (pea pods, broccoli and peppers) with chicken breast and they put parmesean cheese on it. It is delightful and I order it everytime I get near a Noodles!!!!!!!!! I always remind them that I eat gluten-free so not to combine my food with any other that has wheat. They are so nice at the Noodles where I go and a BONUS...I put my business card in the last time I went there and have a free meal for myself and a couple of others next time I am in that town. Barbara

hI Barbara

Is the Noodles a chain?

We have one in Media but i've never been there. I didn't think it was a chain.

I'm going to look into it.

Is there a web site??

Judy

Guest barbara3675

Not sure how far they go, but they sure are around the southern part of Wisconsin.....they are in Janesville, Madison and the Milwaukee area. I am sure they have a web site so you could check. They are very nice to people with special eating needs. Barbara

ryebaby0 Enthusiast

Thank you so much for posting this -- my in-law's live in Exton and it would be so nice to all go out to eat again! I will have to let them know, and they will do a scouting expedition before Easter!

joanna

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
Thank you so much for posting this -- my in-law's live in Exton and it would be so nice to all go out to eat again! I will have to let them know, and they will do a scouting expedition before Easter!

joanna

I'm so happy for you. Won't it be great to have a place to go with the family.

Tues nite is a special nite for the kids...ck it out on their site.

call before and make Dave Howk is there and tell them you heard about it on the forum and you can mention my name if you want.

I know by then they will even be more intune with the gluten-free program.

Judy

ccbergren Rookie
I know we are all so concerned about the resturant back lash from the Mcd's publicity.

Have to share this wonderful dining experience. They made me feel so "Special" instead of "Different or a Problem they had to deal with."

Hubby, Jim, took me out for a drive on Saturday because he knew what a rough week I'd had. We stumpled on this resutrant Red Robin. I showed my gluten-free card to the person seating us. I said I just wanted a hamburger and fries. Did they have a designated frier for the french fries. "Oh, no problem at all. I'll show this card to our manager."

We hadn't even gotten settled in our seats when the manager, Dave Howk, came to our table where we had a indepth converstation about celiac disease. Red Robin welcomes children and is such a fun place for them...He said he had parents telling him about their childrens medical needs and he was so supportive and eager to have them come in. Said he many of the parents bring in their children because they trusted the resturant.

I told him I hadn't had a french frie in 7 months and wanted a hamburger with no bun. He suggested I do a lettuce wrap and the hostess had already told him I wanted french fries. He'd alread had them in a special pot-- cooking alone in oil--- 'just for me' Well, I was so happy I was giddy. I even had a glass of wine. :lol:

The waiter, Jeremy, came over and knew all about what I wanted from the manager and couldn't have done enough to ensure that all during the meal everything was to my liking.

After our meal, Dave, came over and talked to us again, in lenght, about what they could do to ensure that their resturant was a safe, friendly place for celiac's to dine. Gave us a 'special guest packet' with stickers etc and a $1.00 off c/o.

We exchanged emails and phone numbers and he said he'd call me Sunday morning to see how I was feeling. On the way home I started bleching, hr later stomach cramping and of course in an hr I was glad I was in my bathroom.

I called him and told him there was something that was not right even tho he had tried so hard....by questioning the pickes, no mayo, maybe me and the onions, maybe the wine but didn't think so...and then asked the magic question....what kind of oil did you do the fries in? He went and looked at the container and said, "it's just vegatable oil and SOY. Of course, for me that was the trigger. He was so apologetic but I said no "we got to the bottom of it" All celiac's aren't the same and so the less ingredients in any products they use the better. He was going to order and stock pure olive oil to use for the celiac disease customers.

We talked again on Sunday and he had already ordered the Trumiph dining cards I'd recommened -- in English to post around the kitchen. He'd called another manager of a Red Robin, Scott Welch, who was also so excited about this and they are going to contact coroporate to discuss having a few items-- like what I had (minus the wine :lol: ).

They are commited to getting more information on Celiac disease so they can help us. I am passing on this post to them. Nancy Patin Faline, MA,RD,LDN, who wrote the kids book, sugested they look at this web site www.glutenfreerestaurants.org.

When Resturants like this chain, are commited to help us, and we in turn, take the time to help them, it's a Win - Win for us all.

Let's all try to spend our time, energy & expertice in working together to create wonderful dining experiences rather than spending time trying to sue resturants who have let us down.

Red Robin resturants are all over the US. Here is their web site www.RedRobin.com. While checking out the web site I saw some in CA that list some gluten-free items.

Check them out. I hope you try them and your experience was a terrific as mine.

Judy in Philly

I am so glad to hear about Red Robin; I live in West Chester so Exton is really close. There is going to be a gluten free baking class in Hockessin Delaware at Everything But the Kitchen Sink. If you are interested I can send you more details. It starts at 6 p.m.

Carol

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
I am so glad to hear about Red Robin; I live in West Chester so Exton is really close. There is going to be a gluten free baking class in Hockessin Delaware at Everything But the Kitchen Sink. If you are interested I can send you more details. It starts at 6 p.m.

Carol

Please do send info in pm's --ok?

call ahead to see if manager Dave howk is there ok. go when he is and I'm sure he'll assure you a great meal

judy

• 4 months later...
Linda H Newbie

Hi all,

I randomly stopped at the Exton Red Robin on Saturday while traveling across Pennsylvania. Doug Howk, the manager, quiclkly came to the table after I inquired about gluten free food. He took his Triumph card out of his wallet and explained that he would be happy to start up a dedicated fryer if I wanted fries. He also warned me that the oil contained soy in case I had a problem with that, citing another customer who became ill after eating the fries. The food was great, and I felt pampered!

Judy, your education of the Exton staff is obvious. Thank you.

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
Hi all,

I randomly stopped at the Exton Red Robin on Saturday while traveling across Pennsylvania. Doug Howk, the manager, quiclkly came to the table after I inquired about gluten free food. He took his Triumph card out of his wallet and explained that he would be happy to start up a dedicated fryer if I wanted fries. He also warned me that the oil contained soy in case I had a problem with that, citing another customer who became ill after eating the fries. The food was great, and I felt pampered!

Judy, your education of the Exton staff is obvious. Thank you.

Dear Linda,

I'm so happy for you. Isn't Dave the best!!!! If you have time you might want to go on the web site (I listed early in a old post they put up today) and send a note to corp about him & his outstanding resturant. It's a easy short form and they sent me a $ off c/o for taking the time.

Thanks for the compliment but w/o Dave caring enough to implement and train his staff, we never could have achieved it.

I've been back again and it was perfect also. If your traveling again and in an area your note sure of make sure you research each resturant as they are all not as accomidating as this one. I'd always call first.

Congrats on a great dinner and isn't it wonderful to feel 'special' instead of 'different' :rolleyes::lol:

Judy in Philly

Archived