This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Ceilac Symptoms Without The Ceilac Gene?

nathela

nathela Rookie

Hello everybody!

Last July, I had a positive blood test for Ceilac(Igg, Iga).

After 10 years of struggle with my health, I finally got an answer.

I went gluten-free and followed the "Specaific Carbohydrate Diet"( by Elaine Gottschale, everybody should read her, her experience saved me so much life, thanks to her, I've become belly pain free).

I had "celiac attacks" for another 8 months. They are a mix of extreme exhaustion with brain fog, like if I have an unbearable weight on my chest.

The gluten-free diet has changed a lot for me. But, I have not found a normal life yet. Stress is like the main factor of my attacks. Sometimes, I know that I have been contaminated. Though, I am not sure from where.

I still get sick with flu or flu-like virus, very easily.

The revolution, is that I have no more depressive thoughts. Depression is OUT of my life. I am a new spirit. Or, lets say that I found back my spirit. It feels GOOD. Thank you my GI, thank you God. Or vice versa? Who Knows? :D

Last month, I did a genetic blood test. It came back NEGATIVE!

And, my mother did hers, it came back POSITIVE!

My questions are:

-is there any of you who has been having a similar recovery? The stress factor still bugs me.

-how do you explain the fact that I have the symptoms of ceilac without the gene and my mother has no symptoms with having the gene?

-do you think that there might be another gene unrevealed yet?

Thank you so much for your insight, lots of hugs and smiles for everybody, Nathela. :P

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

1. not all genes that play a role in celiac disease have been discovered. about 2% of biopsy-proven cases occur in people with neither recognized gene.

2. the known genes contributing to celiac disease are necessary, but not sufficient, for the development of the condition - additional, currently unknown, factors (possibly including infection, surgery, intense stress, etc.) are required for the 'activation' of these genes

plantime Contributor

As far as I am aware, there are 2 known genes for celiac. There is a good possibility that more exist, and have not yet been found.

That said, I am glad that you have done so well on the diet!

Guest nini

they have not yet identified all the genes associated with celiac, so you aren't "negative" you just don't have the two that have been identified.

your blood test was positive and you've had a positive dietary response, therefore you ARE celiac... or you have it however you want to say it...

DonnaD Apprentice

Enterolab also test for Gluten sensitive genes as well as the 2 celiac ones, my pair are linked to more neurological symptoms. Perhaps your lab only looked for the main genes?

Archived