This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Doctors - Batting A Thousand

penguin

penguin Community Regular

I just got back from my appointment with the allergist. He didn't see a huge reason for me to be there, but could understand why I wanted to be allergy tested. He took the most comprehensive history than any other doctor I've had, and said my stomach problems likely started as a baby and the whole "nervous stomach" thing was an indicator of things to come. He didn't question the Celiac at all.

The man is pretty ancient, he got his MD in 1947, but he's on the board of the organization I work for, so I figured he'd be a decent guy.

He's doing RAST tests for foods, and he's not testing me for tree nuts, since it's an obvious allergy. If they make your mouth itch, you're allergic, don't eat them. He also pulled out this ANCIENT allergy reference and showed me why I had reactions to pecans, walnuts, and those, but not to almonds. I have reactions to filberts and chestnuts, but those are a different family. Almonds are in the peach family, not the nut family, so that's why I'm ok with them. Learn something new every day! It was actually really interesting.

He said that he could do all the RAST IgE testing he wants, but that the "proof is in the pudding", and diet is the only true way to see if there's an allergy.

He's going to do skin scratch tests for foods also, and toss in environmental offenders since they'll be scratching my skin anyway :rolleyes:

Where am I finding these doctors with common sense? I'm two for two in this town! :blink:

Then again, I also haven't been looking for a gastro doc, there I would find the bozos! :P

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

plantime Contributor

So almonds are related to peaches? Shame I'm allergic to peaches, too! I wish my allergist were as good as yours, then I would have had more answers and help.

jerseyangel Proficient

I saw my allergist on Friday and am in the process of having the full compliment of allergy testing done. They did foods and common airborne this time, and in a month will do the rest including a patch test for environmental allergies. I was particularly interested in finding out about nuts. Last year, I began to get a numb feeling on the roof of my mouth when eating them. The Dr. gave me a paper that explains Oral Allergy Syndrome--

"The oral allergy syndrome may be considered a form of contact allergy limited almost exclusively to the mouth, lips, and throat. Symptoms include the rapid onset of itchiness and swelling of the lips, tongue, palate and throat after contact with particular fresh fruits or vegetables and occasionally nuts. Symptoms generaly resolve quickly without intervention. The patient can come in contact with cooked fruit, vegetable or nut and have no symptoms at all."

He told me that SINCE I WAS NEGATIVE to all of the nuts, it was more of an inconvenience than anything else.

Also, they may correspond with outdoor allergens this way:

Trees--apple, peach, cherry, apricot, plum, pear, kiwi, celery, carrot, potato and hazelnut

Grass--celery, cereal grains, and potato

Weeds--apple, carrot, celery, kiwi, orange and peanut

Ragweed--banana, cantaloupe, honeydew and watermelon

I lucked out with him, also--he has a Celiac aunt and he himself is intolerant to certain foods, so he was very easy to talk to. He told me that the best way to detect food intolerances is by rotation and he will help me with that if I choose. I learned a lot at this appointment--so nice when you find a great doc!

floridanative Community Regular

Patti - I'm so happy to hear about your informative and productive allergist appt. I was allergic to so much as a child but I did grow out of the food stuff (was never told not to eat wheat, ha ha) but never grew out of allergies to the pollen, most everything that grows outside really. My allergies are much better now than when I was in my 20's and 30's though...not sure why.

This if off-topic but I met with a nutritionist Sat. who actually told me some things I didn't know about eating/living gluten free. She did not find fault with my food diary which was good but she helped regarding gluten-free cooking and taking supplements and a probiotic while healing. She was very helpful and I was so happy not to have wasted my Sat. morning or my money for that matter. She even spoke to the emotional aspect of the diesease and how it was important not to let the dx ruin your life and friendships. She certainly knew more than any doctor I've seen to date. What a refreshing treat! If anyone reads this and is in the Atlanta area PM me and I'll give you her name/number. But I don't think seasoned Celiacs would get much out of meeting her. Best for newbies just getting started. It was the second best money I spent post dx - first being buying the Clan Thompson program which I can not live without for now.

jerseyangel Proficient

Tiffany--Great to hear about your meeting with the nutritionist! I don't take a probiotic--which one are you taking (or going to take)? If it would help with healing, I would be willing to try it.

Guest Robbin

Patti, the list you posted on allergy/relations was more informative than the printout my son's dr. gave me! Thank you so much. He is allergic to many trees and many of the fruits, also all nuts and ragweed and grasses, it really checks out with him. He gets the mouth irritations, skin reactions, stomach reactions, bowel reactions, and respiratory reactions. The dr. is fascinated with him. He first asked me why I didn't try nursing him as a baby and I said Whoa, he nursed for 2 1/2 years!!! Thanks for all the great info all of you. Also, I am uninformed about probiotics as well. Thanks for any info you can offer for that one!

Chelse--You got so lucky with that dr. --he sounds like my old dr I had in PA. I am so glad for you!

floridanative Community Regular

I'm taking Culturelle - sold at CVS and Walgreens here. They require no refridgeration which is what I need. I can't always have a fridge when traveling. I thought it was unimportant to take them so I was glad to hear the nutritionist explain that they do indeed help a healing Celiac. I figure it's worth trying for six months until my first blood work for a new Celiac panel and then I'll reconsider it again after that. They cost $22 for a months supply but it will be worth it if they work. I've seen on here than a lot of people take them but I was skeptical since you can't tell a difference from taking them to not....at least I couldn't. Since you have been sick for such a long time, my guess is that it would be worth a try for you too.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

Thanks--yes, I do remember reading that some other's on here take it. I think I'll go to CVS tomorrow and get some. Maybe it'll help speed things along a little!

plantime Contributor

I will have to get more info about how plants and foods are related to each other!

penguin Community Regular
I will have to get more info about how plants and foods are related to each other!

It is really interesting! I also found out that cocoa is related to celery :huh:

I don't know how the botanists figure all of this stuff out :blink:

jerseyangel Proficient
Patti, the list you posted on allergy/relations was more informative than the printout my son's dr. gave me! Thank you so much. He is allergic to many trees and many of the fruits, also all nuts and ragweed and grasses, it really checks out with him. He gets the mouth irritations, skin reactions, stomach reactions, bowel reactions, and respiratory reactions. The dr. is fascinated with him. He first asked me why I didn't try nursing him as a baby and I said Whoa, he nursed for 2 1/2 years!!!

Robbin--I am so glad that it helped! I posted it because I found it interesting, and true in my case, also. I hope you get things sorted out for your son--lucky him to have a mom who is determined to get to the bottom of it :)

Archived