This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Phyllo Dough

mamaw

mamaw Community Regular

Is there such a thing as gluten-free phyllo dough either to buy or make at home? My daughter asked for cherry turnovers and I can't find a gluten-free dough that I think would work like the flaky phyllo... How's come when we can't have something anymore thats what we crave..... I offered a cherry pie but she declined.....

Thanks to all the sherlock holmes detectives for helping me on this one........

mamaw

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest Robbin

That is a recipe quite a few of us are interested in!!! PLEASE ANYONE???? It's like a holy grail thing to this former extreme baker!!! :lol:

lorka150 Collaborator

I have this recipe on hand from before gluten free.

1/4 c. water

2 c. flour

4 tsp. olive oil

1/4 tsp. salt

Sift flour and salt. Make a well, then add the water and olive oil in it.

Work the dough, and on a dusted board, knead it for about 5 minutes. It gets smooth. Roll it out in a huge rectangle, put a damp towel over it, and let it stay for about 15 minutes.

Work it out again so it's about 3x3 feet. Cut it with a knife to sheet size, and then use for your recipe.

I haven't made this gluten-free yet, but if I do I would probably use amaranth flour.

lonewolf Collaborator

I don't want to burst anyone's bubble, but here's what I found out when I went to look for a recipe:

HOW A PHYLLO DOUGH SHEET STRETCHES AND STAYS TOGETHER: It's the gluten formed in the dough from wheat flour and moisture, mixed together that holds it together. Because there is oil in the recipe, it's not an effective as a classical shortener, such as butter or shortening, so long strands of gluten are formed in the dough. These strands are then stretched thinner and thinner until the sheets are as thin as tissue paper!.

I think this means someone will have to be VERY creative in order to figure out how to get it to work gluten-free.

chrissy Collaborator

i'm crushed!!! actually, i have never used phyllo dough---but i saw it for the first time in the store just the other day. what about pastry dough? the kind that you add butter to and fold over and roll out and then refridgerate and do it all over again several times------would it work with gluten free flour? (i've never made it with wheat flour)

lorka----why amaranth flour? i've never seen it anywhere. where do you get it?

christine

lorka150 Collaborator

i just think it would taste the best. i have two kinds - bob's red mill, and nuworld amararanth.

Guest Robbin

I thought maybe a "fake" phyllo taste-alike? I just bought a new recipe book called "The Gluten-Free Kitchen" by Roben Ryberg last week. She uses potato starch flour and corn starch mixtures pretty much exclusively for her baking. These are much easier for me to find in the stores and cheaper, too I might add. I need to experiment with her pie crust recipes and see what happens. The recipes are pretty simple and straight-forward and not a huge list of ingredients. Pretty basic ingredients you may already have in the kitchen, which is great. I'll keep you all posted on the results. Just need to feel a little better and will get baking again soon. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jenvan Collaborator

I haven't tried it yet, but a few issues ago Living Without had a gluten-free recipe for pastry dough, and a baklava recipe. I could try and post it later if you're interested...

chrissy Collaborator

please post it!!!!!!

christine

jenvan Collaborator

i'll look it up when i get home tonight :)

penguin Community Regular

I found this on the Clan Thompson site,

Open Original Shared Link

No idea if it would work or not. I need to learn to make it!

And I desperately love greek food!

Guest Robbin

Chelse, Thank you, I am so excited to see this!!! Jen, I would be so grateful, too for yours! :)

jenvan Collaborator

Glad this came up again--I had a friend over last night and forgot :) I will get the recipe tonight!

lonewolf Collaborator

Jen,

I'd love to see your Baklava recipe. We had Greek food for dinner and my son wanted Baklava and I felt really bad that I had to say no. I'd like some too!

sasha1234 Newbie

I haven't perfected the technique yet but what my mom and I have done is used rice paper. We got the idea from a Gluten-Free cookbook (title escapes me right now) that said to use rice paper to do "en croutes". So... what we did was take the rice paper and then rub it with oil, I imagine you could do butter or margarine (I can't do dairy), and then sprinkled it with sugar. I also used sugar water to soak the rice papers. It worked pretty well, I had cherry filling on the inside. It's not really phyllo but it's crispy and at least lets me have a slight fantasy of past phyllo treats. It's also a heck of a lot simpler than mixing doughs and rolling it out thinly.

--- just a suggestion. And if you haven't tried it to do "en croutes", it's amazing! We did lamb the other night, yummmm.

chrissy Collaborator

where do you get your rice paper? i have scanned our local stores and can't find any.

christine

sasha1234 Newbie

Here in Canada I can get it just about anywhere. They are rice wrappers or rice paper depending on the company. What they use in Vietnamese cooking, for rice rolls. Perhaps in the international food section, or a chinese store. I know here you can get them in regular grocery stores, health stores, or chinese superstores. And you can get them in various sizes. They are round too, if that helps. Good luck. You'll find them

jenvan Collaborator

Apologies for taking forever to post this--but here it is...

Filo Dough (Try in other pastry recipes)

1 ¾ C fine White Rice Flour

¼ C Sweet Rice Flour

4 tsp xanthan gum

1 tsp gelatin

1 egg

¼-1/2 C milk of choice

1 stick butter, melted or margarine or oil*

1 tsp honey or agave nectar

1. Mix together rice flour, sweet rice flour, xanthan gum and gelatin. Make a well in dry ingredients large enough to hold the liquids.

2. Lightly beat egg with ¼ C milk, butter and honey. Pour this into well in dry ingredients. Mix everything together until you have a soft dough. (Depending on brand of rice flour, you may want to stir in more milk)..

3. Wrap dough in plastic wrap until ready to use for your favorite holiday pastry. Store in refrigerator if not using immediately.

*Use margarine or oil to make dairy-free dough.

cgilsing Enthusiast

Jen!

I cannot believe you posted this today! I was just on another thread boo-hooing about never having phyllo dough again!! :lol: Then someone told me about this thread! What are the chances!?! Thank you so much! I love this board! :D

mamaw Community Regular

That's for the recipe .... If anyone has time to try it out would someone please PM me with the results?? Ihave been taxi driver for my adult son , he races motorcycles (semi-pro) and sustained an concussion last summer and now he is having post concussion symdrome , terrible pain and headaches that puts him down in a flash. I run to Pittsburgh several times a week and when I get back I'm done for!!!!

thanks

mamaw

jenvan Collaborator

Christine--I love it when stuff like that happens--enjoy the phyllo/filo :)

mamaw- I hope your son begins to recover quickly... That's gotta be hard for both of you.

jenvan Collaborator

Okay, here is the Baklava Recipe to go with the Filo/Phyllo dough recipe I posted above. This recipe is for Pistachio Baklava. Recipe states dough best if made a day ahead, no refrigeration is necessary. It can be frozen also.

Filling

4 C ground pistachios

1 C sugar

1 Tbsp cinnamon

4 Tbsp light vegetable oil

Cooking spray

1. Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease two 8-inch baking pans.

2. Put nuts, sugar and cinnamon into a food processor. Pulse until nuts are finely ground with just a bit of texture.

3. Cut filo dough into 6 equal pieces. Wrap all but the piece you are working with in plastic wrap. Roll out one piece at a time, as thinly as possible, between two sheets of plastic wrap about 16" long. Remove top piece of plastic wrap. Carefully fit dough into one of pans. The piece should be large enough so that it fits up the sides and hangs over a bit. Roll out a second piece of dough the same way and fit it into the other pan. Sprinkle 1 C of ground nuts over the dough in each pan. Roll out two more pieces of filo and carefully lay over the filling. Sprinkle another cup of filling over the second layer of each pan. Roll out last two pieces of filo and carefully cover the layer of nuts. Trim edges that are hanging over the sides of pan. Leave enough to roll under to form an edge.

4. Using a sharp paring knife, score the top of baklava. Cut into 1 1/2" lengths. Then cut 1 1/2" widths wide, starting from one of the corners diagonally to the opposite corner to create and diamond shape.

5. Drizzle 2 Tbsp of oil over scoring of each baklava.

6. Bake for 30 minutes or until baklava is golden. Make syrup while baklava is baking.

Syrup

1 1/2 C sugar

3/4 C water

1 Tbsp lemon juice

1 3" piece of a cinnamon stick

1 Tbsp honey or agave nectar

1. Put sugar, water, lemon juice and cinnamon stick into a sauce pan. Bring to a boil. Simmer for 5 minutes.

2. Whisk in honey or agave. Set aside until baklava is finished baking.

3. Once baklava is baked, slice the scores again, cutting all the way through to the bottom.

4. Use a spoon to drizzle syrup into the cuts.

5. Cool completely before serving.

Enjoy Christine--let me know how it goes for ya!!

• 4 years later...
maria84 Newbie

1/4 c. water

2 c. flour

4 tsp. olive oil

1/4 tsp. salt

Hi, Lorka, I wonder if this recipe would work well with a bit of xanthan gum

maria84 Newbie

1/4 c. water

2 c. flour

4 tsp. olive oil

1/4 tsp. salt

I was thinking maybe tapioca flour would be good for this since someone else on here mentioned rice sheets and they use tapioca flour

Tina B Apprentice

I haven't tried it yet, but a few issues ago Living Without had a gluten-free recipe for pastry dough, and a baklava recipe. I could try and post it later if you're interested...

Check out the gluten free Baklava making video on Utube

Archived