This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Dutch Apple Dinner Theater

Guhlia

Guhlia Rising Star

In the grocery store today I met another person with celiac for the very first time. Yea!!! I was so excited. The best part was that he told me that the Dutch Apple Dinner Theater in Lancaster, PA will do a gluten free meal with appropriate notice... I am so excited! I didn't call them yet, but I checked their website and it says:

"What if I have special dietary needs?

Our buffet features Heart-Smart items that meet the American Heart Association criteria and an extensive salad bar is available. There is always a fish entrée on the buffet as well. For those with extreme dietary needs, you may contact the Chef, John Spang, two weeks prior to the performance that you are attending to advise us of your needs. If it is within two weeks of the performance, we CAN NOT guarantee a special meal. These requests should be limited."

That sounds promising! If anyone else has tried this place, please leave some feedback. I'm still pretty wary about eating out. I would really like to go there though.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

Guhlia--Thanks! That's good to know. :)

Guhlia Rising Star

I was so excited that I forgot to mention the other places he talked about. Oops... He said that the Hong Kong Garden in Lancaster was familiar with the gluten free diet and VERY accomodating as well as the Lyndon Diner in Manheim. He said that all three places knew what celiac disease was and that they were all happy to meet his dietary needs. Wow wow wow!!! I'm so excited that I can hardly contain myself. :D

jerseyangel Proficient

Guhlia--Your timing is impecable! I just got off the phone with my husband--we were discussing a trip he has to take in the spring. He was saying that the 2 of us should go to Lancaster for a few days when it gets warmer. All of your info. is coming in handy for my future reference :D

Guhlia Rising Star

Jersey, there's also an Outback and a Carabba's in Lancaster and both are REALLY good about their gluten-free menus. They're right off of route 30, right next to each other, so they're really easy to find.

This guy also told me that the Log Cabin restaurant in Lititz did a gluten free meal for him. I just couldn't believe all the places he said he'd been and not had a problem. I'm almost ready to start trying to eat out again. I've been to Outback and Carabba's, but I haven't gotten up the guts yet to try any of our "local" restaurants. This guy really gave me some hope!

You'll have to let me know if you have luck anywhere when you come to the area.

jerseyangel Proficient

Yes--I'll let you know!--I really have not eaten out at all since my dx. except in Sept. for my son's 21st birthday. But I am determined that this spring/summer I am going to get away! As you know, I love that whole area and fortunately, it's not too far away--about 2 1/2 hrs. tops. Can you believe how Route 30 has built up? I remember going in the 80's when the whole strip was just beginning to build up. I really prefer the "off the beaten trail" small shops and antique stores.

Guhlia Rising Star

Do you know if Wilbur chocolate is gluten free? Have you been to the factory in Lititz? I e-mailed them this morning to ask, but I haven't heard back from them yet. Let me know if you know anything. I'll let you know if I hear back from them.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived