This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Going To Toronto

jeffreyd

jeffreyd Newbie

I am going to Toronto Wed Apr 19 through Sat Apr 22. We are staying at the Hilton in Markham.

Can anyone offer any restaurant suggestions? It will be my wife, our 6 year old daughter and our 3 year old son. Both my 3 year old son and I have Celiac. My wife (non-celiac) is "somewhat" of a vegetarian (she will eat some seafood) and my daughter is "normal". We all like foods of all ethnic origins.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lorka150 Collaborator
Open Original Shared Link
psawyer Proficient

Hello from Markham.

Which Hilton? I believe there are two. There is a Hilton Suites at Highway 7 and Warden Avenue, on the southwest corner. On the northeast corner there is a Open Original Shared Link which I have heard can accomodate a gluten-free diet, although I have not eaten there myself. They do have dishes without meat.

In Richmond Hill, the next town west, there is an Open Original Shared Link near Yonge St and Hwy 7. This Outback location has just introduced some menu changes which are not obvious. Be sure you tell the server that you can not have "Onion Straws" or you will get them on top of your steak. They are loaded with gluten, and the menu does not mention them.

In almost the same place in Richmond Hill, there is Open Original Shared Link, a local Toronto chain which caters to celiacs. They have gluten-free pasta and pizza with vegetarian options for both.

There is also a Hilton Garden about three miles west of the Hilton Suites. It is closer to the Richmond Hill location, but further from Milestones. You can't walk from there to any of the places I have mentioned.

At multiple locations in Markham you will find Open Original Shared Link restaurants, which feature gluten-free rotisserie chicken. The chicken and dipping sauce are gluten-free, as are most salads and some side dishes.

PM or email me for more details.

turtle99 Rookie

Hi Jefferyd,

I'm familiar with the area too, and psawyer has summed it up well.

There is another awesome place I love to go to, called Restoran, it's a Malaysian restaurant, located at the SE corner of Major MacKenzie and Bayview, in the same plaza as McDonalds. They serve the best south east asian food. It 's family run business, and the owners understand the meaning of "gluten free". Not everything is gluten free, so make sure you ask and make sure you ask the owner/owner's son. The other wait staff do not seem to have knowledge of what this dietary restriction is about. I used to eat everything there, but now I eat curries, fried rice, soup noodles.

Oh! I also must tell you about this great place I recently discovered!!! www.magicoven.com

Magic Oven is located in downtown toronto. They serve speciality pizza and rice pasta for different types of dietary restrictions, but I was sooooo excited to eat a gluten-free pizza, with gluten-free pepperoni !!!! I couldn't believe it! The use quality ingredients, and they are converting all their meats to organic now. Wow it was so tasty :P

do you like Indian food? , traditionally they don't really use wheat/ gluten-grains. (of course excluding a few items like the naan). Bombay Behl is located on highway 7, next the hilton garden Inn, east of Leslie st.

Another downtown one, you can try grocery store, Whole Foods Market. They have a hot and cold food, sold by weight. They list their ingredients. I've enjoyed their interesting food selection, and glad not to worry about additives and preservatives. It's about the only place to eat in yorkville, with free parking.

Hope this helps. Hope you have a good stay in Markham/Toronto.

gabby Enthusiast

There's a great food market called Longo's on the SE corner of Woodbine and Hwy 7 (which is about a 4 minute drive just east of the hotel). It is a big grocery store that has a nice salad bar for your wife with lots of fresh fruits, veggies, boiled eggs. etc. They also carry organic yogurts, rice cakes, bulk nuts, and lots of fresh cheeses. They are not a health food store and probably won't be knowledgable about celiac, but they've got lots of fresh stuff that is naturally gluten-free. See if the hotel can put a small fridge in your room (or if they'll let you keep some of your fresh stuff in their kitchen fridge).

I also recommend the Swiss Chalet restaurant. There is a good one about a 10 minute drive at Yonge/16th Avenue near Hillcrest Mall (just ask the concierge for directions...it is close).

Also, please remember that in Canada, starch listed on a label MAY CONTAIN GLUTEN...unlike the US, it is not assumed to be made from corn. Same goes for anything that says Natural or Artificial Flavours.

On a side note. If you are looking for a nice walk for the family, drive east along hwy 7 about 8 minutes to a small place called Unionville.....there are some nice coffee shops, a pond with ducks to feed, and a restaurant called the Chophouse that can make you a nice gluten-free steak. Oh, that reminds me...The Keg steakhouse (there are lots around) is also pretty knowledgeable about food allergies and they make a good steak.

Enjoy.

jeffreyd Newbie

Thanks for all the posts. We are staying at the Hilton Suites in Markham.

psawyer Proficient

The Hilton Suites are at Warden Avenue and Highway 7, on the SW corner. Main Street Unionville is about one mile east along Hwy 7, running north. The Keg is at Hwy 7 and Beaver Creek, about 2.5 miles west. There is a Swiss Chalet at Woodbine and Denison, 2 km west and then 4 km south, and another at Markville Mall (actually outside the mall on the south side) 4 km east. We own the Open Original Shared Link store in the Markham Town Square on the NE corner of Warden and Hwy 7. Stop by and say hello if you get the chance.

Edited to add: As of September 19, 2006, we no longer own the store at Warden and Hwy 7. We now own another Pet Valu located at 1 Fairlawn Avenue at the corner of Yonge Street, five blocks north of Lawrence Avenue.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 2 weeks later...
psawyer Proficient

Jeff, I'm sorry I missed you when you stopped by this afternoon. Jacquie said you were by after I left. I hope your trip has been successful and pleasant.

Archived