This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Cucumbers And Casein

Mango04

Mango04 Enthusiast

If you're casein intolerant, this might be of interest:

"Conventionally grown cucumbers, like other fragile vegetables, may be waxed to protect them from bruising during shipping. Plant, insect, animal or petroleum-based waxes may be used. Carnauba palm is the most common plant-source wax. Other compounds, such as ethyl alcohol or ethanol, are added to the waxes for consistency, milk casein (a protein linked to milk allergy) for “film formers” and soaps for flowing agents. Since you may not be able to determine the source of these waxes, this is another good reason to choose organically grown cucumbers."

Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mmaccartney Explorer

I don't find the source (the seller of organic products)to be that reliable edited-they don't sell organic products, that was incorrect! , BUT here is a supporting article from the US Food and Drug Administration

Open Original Shared Link

So what does this mean?? Wouldn't the new food labeling laws require some disclosure...somewhere?? if the wax was a derivitive of milk????

Mango04 Enthusiast

I don't think the World's Healthiest Foods website sells organic produce, if that's what you mean by the source.

About the food labeling laws...I believe they only apply to packaged food, not produce. I think there's a whole lot of stuff in conventional produce that's not disclosed.

Ya know, the word casein kind of jumped out at me there, but on second thought, and after looking briefly at

mmaccartney's link, I'm wondering if we would need to be concerned about gluten in the waxes as well?

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Wow, thanks for posting that information. What about apples? They can have wax on them as well.

Mango04 Enthusiast
Wow, thanks for posting that information. What about apples? They can have wax on them as well.

I was wondering the same thing about apples. I would think anything with a waxy coating could pose a problem.

Jnkmnky Collaborator

Gross. I'm so glad I have a farmer's market to go to every week. I'm so sick of all the additives in my food. <_<

mmaccartney Explorer
I don't find the source (the seller of organic products) to be that reliable

Yep, that was an incorrect statement, sorry!! Somehow I got that impression looking at their site earlier today...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jenvan Collaborator

That's just flippin' great! I do wonder what the "difference" is with organic apples, produce etc. b/c I buy all my produce organic, and the apples STILL have wax on them. Maybe there are different standards??

VydorScope Proficient

Umm this sucks, but why would organic be different, milk would be acceptable in a "oragnaic" product, right?

Gross. I'm so glad I have a farmer's market to go to every week. I'm so sick of all the additives in my food. <_<

Im glad spring ishere so I can start growing veggies agian. bah. Hate the heat/bugs/sun but its the only time ofhte year I can get decent veggies!

plantime Contributor
That's just flippin' great! I do wonder what the "difference" is with organic apples, produce etc. b/c I buy all my produce organic, and the apples STILL have wax on them. Maybe there are different standards??

Organically grown fruits and veggies are not treated with pesticides and herbicides while growing. Waxing after they are harvested does not fall into the "organic" category.

mmaccartney Explorer
Ya know, the word casein kind of jumped out at me there, but on second thought, and after looking briefly at

mmaccartney's link, I'm wondering if we would need to be concerned about gluten in the waxes as well?

It appears that way, the link describes that there are wheat based waxes too...

So this gets interesting! How do we find out more information? The FDA article only tells us what is allowed to be used, we need to find out what people are using...

On a side note, I had a thought last week, and when I did some research is startled me! I typically have my work shirts dry cleaned, light starch.... for some reason the word Starch didn't make me wonder. Well I did some research, and there are laundry starches made from wheat :angry: and the wheat starch is the cheaper alternative. Rice based starch seems to have a better finish, but more expensive.... Never thought I'd have to call my cleaner to check on what kind of starh they use...every time I drop my stuff off.... :angry::angry:

Sometimes I feel like we should all band together, and create our own community where *everything* is OK for all of us to have!!! A Utopian Celiac society..... imagine walking into a supermarket where you can have everything! Restaurants that only have gluten free foods... oh well I can dream can't I!

ravenwoodglass Mentor
A Utopian Celiac society..... imagine walking into a supermarket where you can have everything! Restaurants that only have gluten free foods... oh well I can dream can't I!

Wouldn't it be wonderful. Anybody got a lot of land? :P:D

Jnkmnky Collaborator
Wouldn't it be wonderful. Anybody got a lot of land? :P:D

I don't think it would go over too well... remember last month when some folks were talking about starting a "catholic community"? It was like a second crucifixion! Good thing the Amish started their communities a long time ago.. No one would "put up" with that nonsense today!

Mango04 Enthusiast
Sometimes I feel like we should all band together, and create our own community where *everything* is OK for all of us to have!!! A Utopian Celiac society..... imagine walking into a supermarket where you can have everything! Restaurants that only have gluten free foods... oh well I can dream can't I!

I'm totally in favor of this idea! :D

jerseyangel Proficient

Me too--it would make things so much easier :D

jenvan Collaborator
Organically grown fruits and veggies are not treated with pesticides and herbicides while growing. Waxing after they are harvested does not fall into the "organic" category.

Yeah, that's why I was wondering why the article would say to "buy organic" if there is no difference in waxing from conventional to organic...

Mango04 Enthusiast

Hmmm...I was kinda under the impression that organic produce doesn't generally have waxy coatings. I stand corrected :) The article definitely seemed to imply that though, and the organic stuff I buy doesn't seem to be waxy. I would have to think that the standards for the wax on organic produce would be different. Doing a quick search didn't seem to give me any info. There's gotta be a way to find out what's actually in the dang wax.

VydorScope Proficient

Ive often considered opening a competitor for Olive Garden with all Trinkadicka (sp???) pasta :) All that stands in my way is the lack of a big pile of cash LOL

Mango04 Enthusiast
Ive often considered opening a competitor for Olive Garden with all Trinkadicka (sp???) pasta :) All that stands in my way is the lack of a big pile of cash LOL

Trinkadicka? LOL :D

The funniest part is most people will know exactly what you mean....and it's a good idea!

jerseyangel Proficient

Ha--a Celiac will know that word a mile away!! And I'd be the first in line :D

Jnkmnky Collaborator

I emailed Olive Garden a year ago and asked them to add Tinkyadas to their menu along with Chebe bread sticks for Celiacs... Their response was that they were not considering this at this time. Very eye rolling tone.

mmaccartney Explorer

As milk and wheat are some of the most common allergens, I checked with the Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network (FAAN http://www.foodallergy.org) regarding this.

They didn't address the wheat issue, and I have written them back on this. They do have some insight into the casein issue though:

Hi Michael,

Although approved, to our knowledge, the casein-containing films are not being used commercially. The article below has more information.

Debbie

This article appeared in the October/November 2002 issue of Food Allergy News

Copyright 2002 The Food Allergy & Anaphylaxis Network

In the News

Use of Milk Protein to Make Edible, Water-Resistant Films

The Agricultural Research Service, the USDA's chief scientific research agency, announced that it has received a patent for turning casein, a milk protein, into water-resistant edible films. The films might be used to coat dairy products such as cheese, or as part of a laminate in packaging for such products.

Dr. Steve Taylor, a member of FAAN's Medical Advisory Board, and Professor and Head of the Department of Food Science and Technology at the University of Nebraska, responds, "The USDA does not comment on any allergy concerns but there would certainly be some. I should emphasize that this [the product] has not been commercialized yet, and the FDA would likely have some questions about how to label it. This film would not cause concerns if used for packaging of dairy products but could cause concerns if used to package other products."

We'll continue to keep you posted.

when I get back from them about wheat I will post it....

VydorScope Proficient

heh okay so the spelling was a bit creatieve, but most posts usally are that way!

mmaccartney Explorer
heh okay so the spelling was a bit creatieve, but most posts usally are that way!

Yes, but like someone mentioned before.... we all knew what you meant!

Here is FAANs response on wheat based waxes:

=============================================

Hi Michael,

We've never heard anything about wheat-derived waxes, so I don't know if they've been developed or approved. However, I do know that we haven't had any reports of reactions caused by them.

Debbie

=============================================

Mango04 Enthusiast

Thanks Michael for finding all that out! Sorry if my post made anyone worry too much about produce :unsure:

Archived