This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Being Good - Still Having Problems

VAGuy

VAGuy Apprentice

Hello everybody, thought I'd run this past you folks.

gluten-free since November

EnteroLab advised me to go gluten-free, and avoid dairy, eggs, and yeast in April

and that I did not have colitis

Had been dairy free for a while before that

Have found that only minimal amounts of corn products can be tolerated

Can tolerate only minimal fiber

Why does sugar trash my digestive system? If between meals I have a little Jello, Tang, 100% fruit juice, etc. I'm running for the bathroom a few hours later. A little Smucker's Blueberry Syrup (corn syrup/sugar) kills me.

I can have 2/3 banana @ dinner with say 3 med. strwberries, and 1/2 tablespoon All Fruit (9g sugar per tablespoon) on a 3g of sugar waffle (waffle is desert) and do OK, and maybe a couple sips of apricot nectar later, but otherwise I've found it best if I just avoid sugar/sweet items.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I have a appt. 7/7/04 with a GI to finally talk about this and am really trying to get things mapped out/organized before I see him. If I can get a line on sugar woes, the only thing left on my list is to determine whether it is spaghetti sauce that bothers, or the soy flour in the pasta I'm using.

Thanks, Phil

P.S. Depending on where you live you'll understand when I say am I glad the Brood X cicadas are beginning to die off, enough is enough.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest jhmom

Hi Phil, I am sorry you are still having a tough time, :( I am too, to a point. ;) I hope we BOTH feel better soon! I do not have a problem with sugar or fruit, but I don't eat a lot of fruit just in case, but I can eat Jello without a problem.

I looked around the web and found this article about IBS and Sugar, I know you don't have IBS but thought I would pass it on anyway:

Open Original Shared Link

I hope this is helpful to you and if not maybe someone else will be along shortly to help you out...... good luck and feel better!!! :D

travelthomas Apprentice

Hi Phil,

I did notice when I first went gluten-free that I was running to the bathroom to urinate all the time. By asking questions on this board I found out it was certain fruits that caused the problem. Processed fruits will exaggerate the problem. Try eliminating all fruit from your diet, and then slowly add it back in one at a time. The culprit will stand out like a sore thumb.

VAGuy Apprentice

Thanks for your replies - one more piece of the puzzle I guess, a little more info to take to the Doc - maybe I can sneak a couple strawberries with dinner rather than on an empty stomach, homegrown taste so good. I have been tryign to avoid corn syrup for a while and it helps, can tolerate a little bit of ketchup or BBQ sauce with it but am being real careful.

Thanks again

Phil

RojSpencer Newbie
can tolerate a little bit of ketchup or BBQ sauce with it but am being real careful.

I haven't found a BBQ sauce that doesn't have viniger in it yet? Are you sure it is safe? Only Heinze ketchup also (has distilled viniger), not Hunts.

If you're still gettting a steady stream of gluten, even if in traces, it will prevent your recovery.

tarnalberry Community Regular

Most bbq sauces have cider vinegar, like the only gluten-free one I've found (I haven't looked hard, I'm sure there are plenty of others) - Bone Suckin' Sauce.

But, even if it had grain vinegar, unless something is added after the distillation process (which would make it something other than plain vinegar), there is no gluten in distilled grain vinegar. The molecular weight of gluten is far too heavy to allow it to pass through the process of distillation. There's been a lot of research on this, and the recent stuff has made a nearly completely closed case on ths issue. (Heh... about as much as you can do to prove something is positive. ;-) )

Archived