This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Is Your Favorite gluten-free Recipe?

cgilsing

cgilsing Enthusiast

I thought it would be fun to share each other's favorite recipes, so we can try out some proven winners! Plus, I see a lot of newbies that are stumped on what they can eat.....maybe this could help them out! I'll start!

I've got a couple really good ones:

1. This one is really easy and is great for a Wednesday night dinner:

Oven Fried Chicken

8 boneless skinless thighs

2 tbs paprika

2 cups rice flour

2 tsp salt

1/4 tsp garlic powder

1/4 cup butter or marg.

Preheat your oven to 425*

Mix all ingredients except for the chicken and the butter in a ziplock freezer bag. Put butter in a 9x13 pan and stick in the oven just long enough to melt the butter. Then shake the chicken around in the bag and place in the pan. Bake at 425* for 20 minutes. Turn the chicken over and bake for another 20 at 425*

2. This one is more for a special occation, but if you can find some good tails it's really worth it! The measurements are not as exact either, since hubby and I made this one up as we went.

Coconut Lobster

4 fresh lobster tails

2 eggs

1/2 cup to 1 cup of rice flour

1/2 cup to 1 cup milk

1.5 cups of coconut

2 tbs paprika

2 tsp salt

pepper to taste

marmalaide jelly

Preheat oven to 350* Preheat Deep Fryer to 350*

Place lobster on a baking sheet and bake at 350* for a half hour to 45 minutes (until 1/2 cooked and will come out of shells fairly easily)

While lobster is cooking make a batter with the eggs, rice flour, and milk. It should be a thick consistancy so adjust the proportions if you need to.

Then mix the coconut, paprika, salt and pepper on a seperate plate.

When lobster comes out, cut the meat out of the shell. Dip them in the batter and then roll them in the coconut mixture. Deep fry until lobster is fully cooked and coconut batter is golden brown.

Serve with marmalaide jelly on the side.

Ok, your turn!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jnkmnky Collaborator

Mesquite chicken

Chicken breasts

Marinate in:

2 tbsp of Mesquite flour www.Lame Advertisement.com

1/2 cup apple juice/cider

1/4 cup apple sauce

1/4 cup honey

garlic salt

some shakes of cinnamon

Let sit about an hour.

Bake covered in the marinade for about .... until your chicken is done.

remove chicken from pan and make a gravy out of all that's left in the pan.

Pour gravy over cooked rice.

I always add broccoli.

One of the few dishes my kids ask for seconds of.

It's my favorite gluten free recipe because it tastes so different than anything I've had before. I didn't know mesquite flour was ... well, what it is. It has a very unique flavor (not like BBQ) and I wouldn't have ever found out about it except that we're gluten free. Also makes cinnamon chebe bread taste just like a cinnamon raisin bagel.

MallysMama Explorer

My favorite is Zucchini Bread (I've posted it before - but here it is again). It's not exactly healthy - but oh so yummy!!!

1 c. sugar

1 c. brown sugar

1 c. oil

3 c. rice flour (leveled - don't heap)

1/4 tsp. baking powder

1 1/2 tsp xantham gum

1 tsp baking soda

2 tsp cinnamon

1 tsp salt

3 eggs

2 c. finely grated zucchini

Combine all ingredients and mix well. Pour into two greased loaf pans (or a muffin tin - but don't cook as long). Bake 1 hour at 325 degrees.

Mix about one cup of powdered sugar with a dab of melted butter a couple drops of vanilla and a little hot water until you get a slightly runny consistency for the glaze. Pour over loafs while they're still warm.

I just made it today - 1 loaf and about 10 muffins. So good!!! I have to make myself not eat it fast - because it tastes even better after it's about a day "old" (keep in sealed ziploc bag).

Mango04 Enthusiast

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

Carriefaith's Breadsticks

1/4 cup shortening

3 tablespoons honey

2 eggs

1 tablespoon yeast

1 cup unflavored yogurt

1/2 cup potato starch

1 1/2 cups cornstarch

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

2 teaspoons baking powder

2 teaspoons xanthan gum

3/4 teaspoon salt

3/4 teaspoon vinegar

Topping: Kosher salt and/or other herbs, grated cheese, sesame seeds, etc.

Directions: Preheat oven to 350. Combine all ingredients. Mix well to remove lumps. The dough will be quite wet. Place dough in a pastry bag with a large round tip (or use a plastic lunch bag with a bit of a corner cut off). Pipe dough into long strips (5-6 inches is nice) on greased baking sheet. Sprinkle with toppings. Bake 10-12 minutes, until golden brown.

These are fabulous! Easy to make and delish warm from the oven. Sometimes I'll drop them with a spoon or bake them in muffin tins for about 20 minutes to have a dinner roll shape. If you undermix them so everythings blended but still lumpy they taste more like a biscuit. If I was at home and not work, I'd run to the freezer, thaw one out and eat it. I will not stop referring people to this recipe until everyone has tried it. Thanks Carrie!

Fish Batter

2 egg whites

1/3 cup cornstarch

1/2 tsp paprika (helps the batter turn a lovely light golden brown)

1/4 cup sweet rice flour

Beat egg whites until stiff, but not dry.

Sift the cornstarch and paprika over the egg whites and fold in. (Set aside)

Rinse the fish and pat dry.

Dredge fish in the sweet rice flour.

Dip into batter.

Cook, eat and enjoy.

I use Alaskan Pollock. Tastes just like at the fish & chip shop. I've decided that I will always need to double this recipe. We can't get enough fish battered for 2 adults and 2 kids.

Another new favourite of mine and my husband's (but not my kids) is Carol Fenster's Lemon Chicken. It's in the book "Wheat-Free Recipes & Menus". We always have it the day after fish & chips, because the fish uses egg whites and the chicken uses the yolks. My kids LOOOOVE fish & chip day until they realize that tomorrow will be Lemon Chicken day. They will be very happy if you provide me with a 2 yolk recipe so I don't waste eggs, and they don't have to eat Lemon Chicken.

Lisa Mentor

Barb'que Chicken or Ribs:

So easy...

Chicken or Ribs in a large pan - with Pam on the botton and sides (easy clean up)

1 Can Chicken Stock - Swanson

Cook for a while at 350 -

Add Sweet Baby Rays B'que Sauce and continue cooking

...until tender.

Or add all the stuff together and cook slow "Sweet Baby Rays" is the best bbq sauce that I have tasted.

Roasted potatoes, Roasted corn, mac and cheese (yuck) or apple sauce, salad,cole slaw,cucs and tomatoes in italian dressing with dill, Bushes pork and beans (with mustard, worst. sauce, brown sugar, onions, grn peppers, hot sauce, Oscar bacon,...in the oven). Took me 20 years to finally make good baked beans. <_<

Lisa

• 9 months later...
Viola 1 Rookie

Ham Chowder (especially at this time of year)

Portions depend on size of pot, or family ... I make lots as it's so good for the next couple of days.

Old fashion Ham .. for the two of us I use a large round slice (we can buy them already packaged)

Rinse and dice fairly small

Put in a large pot half full of water.

Drop in a couple of bay leaves, bring to a boil and simmer for about an hour.

Remove the bay leaves

Add potatoes diced into bite size pieces

Add finely chopped onions

Add dried parsley

Garlic, and pepper (DO NOT ADD SALT the ham will have enough salt.)

Cook until potatoes are well cooked

Just before you turn it off to serve, Add a cup full of milk (skim is fine) with potato flour to thicken it slightly.

Serve with 1/2 of Kinninnick English muffin :P

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guhlia Rising Star

Pumpkin Pancakes

INGREDIENTS

* 1 cups white rice flour

* 1/3 cup tapioca starch

* 2/3 cup potato starch flour

* 3 tablespoons brown sugar

* 2 teaspoons baking powder

* 1 teaspoon baking soda

* 1 teaspoon ground allspice

* 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

* 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger

* 1/2 teaspoon salt

* 1 1/2 cups milk

* 1 cup Libby's pumpkin puree

* 1 egg

* 2 tablespoons vegetable oil

* 2 tablespoons rice vinegar

DIRECTIONS

1. In a separate bowl, mix together the milk, pumpkin, egg, oil and vinegar. Combine the flours, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, allspice, cinnamon, ginger and salt, stir into the pumpkin mixture just enough to combine.

2. Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium high heat. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each pancake. Brown on both sides and serve hot.

REAL Fried Chicken

INGREDIENTS

* 3 cups white rice flour

* 1 tablespoon salt

* 1/2 teaspoon paprika

* 1 tablespoon garlic powder

* 1 tablespoon onion powder

* 1 tablespoon coarse ground black pepper

* 2 eggs

* 4 cups buttermilk

* 1 cup Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce

* 3 tablespoons Lea and Perrins Worcestershire sauce (safe in US only)

* 1 whole chicken, cut into pieces or 2 packs of chicken breasts cut into strips

* 2 cups oil for frying

DIRECTIONS

1. In a large shallow dish, mix together flour, paprika, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, and black pepper. In a separate bowl, beat eggs, then whisk in buttermilk, barbeque sauce, and Worcestershire sauce.

2. Dredge chicken in milk mixture, then in seasoned flour, alternating in each at least twice. Heat oil in a large, deep-sided skillet to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).

3. Cook chicken in hot oil until golden brown on both sides, about 10 minutes each side.

Carriefaith Enthusiast

I've got some :) Enjoy!

Steamed Salmon

2-3 fresh salmon fillets

2-3 shallots, finely minced

2 cloves garlic, finely minced

2 red chilies, cut into small rounds

2 Tbs. Thai Kitchen Premium Fish Sauce

1 Tbs. Brown sugar

2 Tbs. fresh lime juice

2 Tablespoons basil leaves

Put all ingredients in a steam bowl or dish. Steam for about 20 minutes. Vegetable steamers work well.

Hot and Sour Soup (Recipe modified from VH)

5 cups of water, add more if necessary

1 extra large carrot or 2 small carrots, minced in a blender or food processor

1 large celery stick or 2 small celery sticks, minced in a blender or food processor

2 cups of spinach leaves, minced in a blender or food processor

1 red pepper, diced

3-4 green onions, diced

2 cups of gluten free noodles, I use Thai Kichen rice noodles

3/4 cup of VH Asian Five Spice sauce, add more if necessary

1-2 tablespoons chili sauce, optional (I use Thai Kicken Spicy Thai Chili Sauce)

1-2 McCormick all-vegetable bouillon (vegetable, chicken, or beef)

2 tablespoons of vinegar

Put everything in a large pot, bring to a boil and then cook on medium heat for about 20 minutes. Very tasty.

Jambalaya

1 pakage cut up boneless chicken (bite size)

3 tablespooms olive oil

1 green pepper, diced

1 red pepper, diced

3 cloves of garlic, minced

1 can stewed tomatoes

3 cups chicken broth (or 3 cups of water and 2 McCormick brouillion cubes)

1.5 cups basmati rice

2-3 tablespoons of brown sugar

1/4 cup of white vinegar

2 teaspoons thyme

2 teaspoons oregano

1 teaspoon crushed red peppers (I used Mc Cormick)

1-2 teaspoons cayenne pepper

1-2 teaspoons crushed red chilis (I used Mc Cormick)

pepper and salt to taste

2 teaspoons parsely (optional)

2 teaspoons basil (optional)

1/2 teaspoon paprika (optional)

Pad Thai: New and Improved

1 bottle Thai Kitchen Original Pad Thai Sauce

2 Tablespoons olive oil

2-3 cups of bean sprouts

5 green onions, diced

3 cloves of garlic, minced

1 onion, diced

1 red pepper, diced

1 orange or yellow pepper, diced

1-2 Tablespoons, fresh lime juice

3 eggs

1.5 cups uncooked basmatti rice OR cooked rice noodles (pad thai style)

1.5-2 Tablespoons basil

1 teaspoon Cilantro

1/2 teaspoon crushed red chilis

salt and pepper to taste

Cook all vegetables, lime juice, and spices in oil for about 10-15 minutes over medium heat (a wok works nicely). Be careful not to burn the vegetables. After about 7-8 minutes push the vegetables to the side creating a ring of vegetables with a hole in the middle. Place the eggs in the hole and stir them. Once the eggs are stirred, mix them in with the vegetables. Cook rice or noodles seperatly. Once everything is done, mix it all together including the Pad Thai Sauce. Serve.

Pineapple Chicken (Modified from VH)

2-3 chicken breasts, cut into small pieces

Your choice of vegetables. Here are some ideas:

2-3 different coloured bell peppers, diced

5 green onions, diced

1 broccoli

2 celery sticks, diced

2-3 garlic cloves, minced

1 onion, diced

1 Tablespoon of VH lite soy sauce

1 bottle of VH pineapple sauce

pepper to taste

1-2 cups uncooked basmatti rice

Cook chicken and vegetables together until everything is done. Place soy sauce, pineapple sauce, and pepper with vegetables and chicken. Cook rice seperately. Serve once everything is done.

Chinese Tuna (modified from VH)

2 cans of tuna

4-5 stalks of small celery

olive oil

optional: garlic or onions

Batter - you may need to double this

1/4 - 1/2 cup water

2 eggs

1/2 - 3/4 cup of gluten-free all purpose flour mix (I used Kinnickinick)

1 Tablespoon cornstarch

sugar to taste

salt to taste

Sauce - VH Cherry dipping sauce

Cook oil, vegetables, and tuna in a frying pan. Mix batter in a bowl. Set cooked tuna mixture aside. Place more olive oil in the frying batter and cook on medium heat. With a large serving spoon, scoop some batter and place a handful of tuna mixture into the spoon. Coat the top of the tuna mixture with more batter. Place into the frying pan and cook until done. Repeat. Serve with VH Cherry dipping sauce and basmatti rice.

Velvet Brownies

2/3 cup gluten-free flour mix

1/3 cup cocoa powder

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon salt

2 egg whites

1 egg

3/4 cup sugar

6 tablepoons baby food pear or pea puree or unsweetened applesauce (I tried the recipe with pear puree).

2 tablespoons vegetable oil

1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla

Optional: 1 tablespoon chopped peacans, walnuts, or macadamia nutes.

Preheat oven to 350. Spray an 8"x8" pan with vegetable oil spray (I just used wax paper and olive oil). In a measuring cup, combine the flour mix, cocoa, cinnamon, and salt. In a mixing bowl, whisk the egg whites and egg slightly. Add the sugar, puree, oil, and vanilla and wisk until blended, but don't overbeat. Pour into the prepared pan and sprinkle on the nuts (if used). Bake until set and a tester comes out clean, about 25 minutes (I'd go a few minutues longer, like 27). Cool before cutting into 2" squares. Makes 16 brownies.

From, "The Gluten-free Gourmet, Cooks Fast and Healthy" by Bette Hagman p.140.

SandraNinTO Rookie

Thanks Carriefaith for some great dinner ideas. How do you cook your battered fish? Baked? Fried? (pan-fried? deep-fried). Please advise. I crave battered fish. Sandra

Carriefaith Enthusiast
Thanks Carriefaith for some great dinner ideas. How do you cook your battered fish? Baked? Fried? (pan-fried? deep-fried). Please advise. I crave battered fish. Sandra
Thanks! Do you mean the chinese tuna? I prefer to pan fry it in oil.
SandraNinTO Rookie

Sorry, it was Linda (2boys4me) who posted the fish batter recipe....she posted it after including your breadstick recipe Carriefaith. Linda, how do you cook your battered fish? Inquiring minds want to know! Sandra :huh:

TinkerbellSwt Collaborator

ok, I am going to make Carries breadsticks tonite.. I will just go for it, if its that highly recommended, its a must try here.

We love Bette Hagmans BBQ Shortribs on the stove top. My hubby loves the sauce, he saves the leftover sauce, there is never leftover meat!, and he uses it to dip his french fries in all week. He is Scottish, he loves fried food.

I am also going to try that fish and chips receipe.

We are also HUGE fans of ninis chicken... monday nites.. me and Colin, make it nugget style with some ranch dressing, he shoves it in his mouth.

We also do Racheal Rays Mexican Lasanga using corn tortillas instead of flour, we had that tonite, its even better the next day.

I actually found a buffalo wings receipe that I like too.. using our baking flour mix for the regular flour, came out a bit on the not so spicy side, (which is better for me) but it can always be made spicer!

sheesh... i think I have gone on enough!!!

miles2go Contributor

Hi Carrie,

I tried the Velvet Brownies just tonight, using the pea puree that Bette Hagmann recommended. The house smells just like whirled peas and chocolate, which is an okay thing. ;) They taste really good, but are just about a 1/2 thick. I used 1 whole organic egg and some powdered egg whites...wondering if you've had different results?

Mmm...brownies.

Margaret

ginghamkim Apprentice

Happy Valentine's Day!!!

Here is an easy romantic dinner...too bad I made it the other night!! ;) Thanks everybody for meal ideas!! Carriefaith---special thanks for the Pad Thai recipe!

Maple Roasted Chicken with Sweet Potatoes

1 3

Granny Garbonzo Apprentice

Our family has lots and lots of gluten-free recipes, but we love to make cut out cookies with the kids most of all.....also helps the kids (and us big kids) feel we are not missing out on anything.....of course we always say "all we are missing out on is a stomach ache!)

gluten-free Cut Out Sugar Cookies

1 1/2 cups Potatoe Starch Flour

2/3 cup Corn Starch

2/3 cup Tapioca Starch Flour

2 tsp Baking Powder

1 tsp Zanthan Gum

1 tsp Salt (I reduce this, matter of taste)

1 1/2 cups Sugar

1 cup Butter

4 Egg Yolks

2 tsp gluten-free vanilla (if you can't use vanilla you can use almond or a little lemon juice)

Preheat oven to 375*F (test your own oven, I turn mine down to 350 or so and experiment with the time too)

Grease 2 cookie sheets

Mix flours and baking powder and salt and set aside

Cream together sugar, butter and egg yolks with flavoring

Add to flour mixture

Work with hands until well mixed

Refridgerate until well cooled

Roll out and cut (I use Tapioca flour to dust the board and keep from sticking)

Only bake until well set and ever so slightly browning on bottoms (it is easy to over or under cook these cookies, test a few cookies one at a time to see how long your oven needs to get them just yummy right.

I am now speaking for my 21 month old son, ninis chicken and carriefaiths breadsticks!!!! and he is rather liking the fried chicken from ooppsy I forgot whos new recipe was posted like KFC, but he is eating carries breadsticks for breakfast now! Thanks carrie!! anything that gets him to eat is a plus with me, and they stay so nice for the next day, not hard or anything, thumbs way up!!!

2Boys4Me Enthusiast
Sorry, it was Linda (2boys4me) who posted the fish batter recipe....she posted it after including your breadstick recipe Carriefaith. Linda, how do you cook your battered fish? Inquiring minds want to know! Sandra :huh:

We cook it in a wok. We fill the wok about 1/2 way and cook it there. We tried it in the deep fryer once, but the batter got stuck in the wire basket and made a heck of a mess.

I am now speaking for my 21 month old son, ninis chicken and carriefaiths breadsticks!!!! and he is rather liking the fried chicken from ooppsy I forgot whos new recipe was posted like KFC, but he is eating carries breadsticks for breakfast now! Thanks carrie!! anything that gets him to eat is a plus with me, and they stay so nice for the next day, not hard or anything, thumbs way up!!!

It's Guhlia's fried chicken.

Thanks Guhlia! its the bestest!!!! thanks for that heads up on whos chicken it was 2boys!

Kibbie Contributor

Crab Cakes from Bette Hagman's Gluten Free-Gourmet cooks fast and healthy! (Though I use sourdough bread crumbs instead of regular ones to add some flavor)

Here is the recipe: I combined everything in a food processor then made the cakes.

1/2 lb crab meat (I used imitation crab)

1/2 cup gluten-free sourdough bread crumbs (I make gluten-free the crumbs from the heels of my baked bread)

2 tablespoons mayo

2 tablespoons chopped parsley

1 tablespoon mustard (from a bottle)

2 green onions minced

1 tablespoon green pepper minced

a few dashes of Worcestershire sauce

1 egg beaten

salt and pepper

juice of 1 lemon

1 tablespoon of oil for frying

Combine all ingredients in a food processor and blend. Add more salt and pepper to taste. Form in to cakes (I should have made about 8 small instead of 4 big) Heat oil in a large skillet. FRy the cakes on medium heat until golden brown (about 3 minutes each side)

I served them over rice with tarter sauce it was delicious!

BFreeman Explorer

I thought imitation crab (do they call it surimi?) was not gluten free. If it is we've been missing out!

BF

Guhlia Rising Star

Kibbie, if you like the crab cakes, try the crab balls! They're delicious and they make a great appetizer or accompaniment to a meal.

*Imitation crab meat is generally NOT gluten free*

Thanks Guhlia! its the bestest!!!! thanks for that heads up on whos chicken it was 2boys!

You're welcome! I'm glad your family enjoyed it.

kbtoyssni Contributor

My favorite recipe is bean salsa. I use it for tacos in place of meat or sometimes as a dip with tortilla chips.

Bean Salsa

Marinade

Kibbie Contributor
I thought imitation crab (do they call it surimi?) was not gluten free. If it is we've been missing out!

BF

You have to read the labels some are gluten free some are not :) But heck you could use REAL crab too and it would be even better :) I'm just to cheep! :P

I have never found gluten free imitation crab, where did you get it? whats the name?? I would love to be able to have that again, soooo many dips I used to make with it, so much more inexpensive than real crab meat. I know real crab would taste better, but I cant afford that at every family get together.

Archived