This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Old 1800 Early 1900 Newpaper Articles About Celiac

ms-sillyak-screwed

ms-sillyak-screwed Enthusiast

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

I would love to read it--thank you so much for introducing this!

Interesting about bananas--my oldest had so many difficulties as an infant and started as a 4 1/2 pounder with heart problems. The doctors kept worrying about his weight gain, and tried (unsuccessfully) to push commercial formula instead of breast-feeding so that they could monitor his intake.

When I started solid foods, I didn't want a single calorie wasted on junk food--I wanted every calorie to count for something! So dessert was usually banana circles sprinkled with cinnamon.

He is now off the charts for height, and a healthy 90th percentile for weight! Maybe it was the bananas? :)

Lisa Mentor

I find that interesting ... after talking to another site member, in person, we discussed just that.

All my life, (adult life), I have never liked milk, beer, pasta, bread, donunts and always orderded hamburgers and hot dogs without the bun. Maybe, I am one of the weird ones, but I feel that my body was trying to tell me something..... all this pre-dx.

I now find myself going back to tomato products as, V-8 Juice with our own North Carolina Peanuts (planters should be ashamed of themselves), citrus and kielbasa and lots of starch.

If any one wants to taste the best peanuts in the world, pm me and we can send them out (after the wedding- 31 days and counting down)

OH YEAH, I CRAVE BANANAS TOO....FORGOT WHY I POSTED. :blink::blink:

-

codetalker Contributor

I'm from the era of banana babies but the best I can remember I escaped that craziness (although I do eat one a day). My DX was at Johns-Hopkins and they did consider me cured by age 4.

The articles are interesting. Thanks for making them available.

cgilsing Enthusiast

WOW! :blink: That's a lot of bananas! There is no way those poor kids could have been getting proper nutrition! I sounds like they didn't eat ANYTHING but bananas!

codetalker Contributor
WOW! :blink: That's a lot of bananas! There is no way those poor kids could have been getting proper nutrition! I sounds like they didn't eat ANYTHING but bananas!

That's the truth. I have to confess that when I read that the image of a houseful of chimps flashed through my mind.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator

I just wanted to let you know that the second to fifth links don't work, and the sixth article is unreadable. The rest is very interesting. 200 bananas a week! How awful! And too many claim to be able to 'cure' the kids with the diet. Those are the people showing up here now, who got sick with all kinds of illnesses, due to eating gluten again, when they should have stayed on the gluten free diet all their lives.

-

-

codetalker Contributor
codetalker -- I know it makes me laugh seeing these old black and white newpapers with these babies and kids gobbling down bananas. I also found some really funny cartoons of these little banana eaters too.

If the cartoons are available online, can you provide the URL's? People on this board would no doubt appreciate them. I know I would. I've never seen a celiac cartoon.

BTW, your blog indicates you are an artist. If your talents lean toward drawing, have you ever considered cartooning? Based on what celiacs go through, some biting satire might be in order.

-

debmidge Rising Star

Ms. Sillyyak screwed...you did some very interesting research. In 2003 when my husband was finally diagnosed properly I then recalled hearing about the "banana babies" from years ago. It triggered my memory that I read or heard about it. It does appear that the old days doctors knew more than the current ones about this subject.

Just have to say your posts are very informative and you put a lot of effort into your subject.

Thank you for doing this for us here at Celiac board. I appreciate it.

darlindeb25 Collaborator

Thank you for the articles. I find it amazing that celiacs has been known about for so long here in America and they still seem to know so little. At least they do know now that it isn't curable, only controllable, which is a big difference. I would be so ill if I ate as many bananas as they fed some of those poor children. I used to know a lady in Michigan who told me that she had celiacs as a baby, but that it was cured and she didn't have any problems as an adult. Either she didn't have celiacs or she is in for a rude awakening soon. I just talked with a patient at work Wednesday who was telling me how bad her IBS is and I asked if she had ever tried going gluten free. She says, well, I have read about celiacs, but I'm 75, what's the point now of bothering. So I told her that my dad just turned 71 and has been gluten-free for 1 1/2 yrs now and that it is worth the bother. I am hoping she will go home and start reading. It's always worth it to feel better and to take care of yourself. Thanks again. Deb

Thank you for the kind words.

babyofthefamily Newbie

Oh, how I would love to eat a banana. While I was going through chemo for my Hodgkin's Lymphoma I ate a lot of banana smoothies. Some days that's all I could keep down. But for some strange reason a few months after I finished treatment within 5 minutes of eating a banana my stomach would cramp up and I would have the worst stomach ache then sometimes I would throw up. It's been a few years since I've tried a banana. Maybe I'll try one tonight and see what happens.

Margie

tarnalberry Community Regular
Oh, how I would love to eat a banana. While I was going through chemo for my Hodgkin's Lymphoma I ate a lot of banana smoothies. Some days that's all I could keep down. But for some strange reason a few months after I finished treatment within 5 minutes of eating a banana my stomach would cramp up and I would have the worst stomach ache then sometimes I would throw up. It's been a few years since I've tried a banana. Maybe I'll try one tonight and see what happens.

Margie

My stomach reacts differently to underripe verus overripe bananas. Overripe bananas have too much simple sugar in them for me.

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi C--Just wanted to thank you for collecting and sharing all of those articles! Just got a chance to sit and read through all of them--very interesting :)

Archived