This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What To Look For On Make-up/personal Care Items

Smunkeemom

Smunkeemom Enthusiast

Here are some common ingredeints found in cosmetics and hair care products that contain gluten:

Amp-Isostearoyl Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein

Disodium Wheatgermamido Peg-2 Sulfosuccinate

Hydrolyzed Wheat Gluten

Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein

Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein Pg-Propyl Silanetriol

Hydrolyzed Wheat Starch

Hydroxypropyltrimonium Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein

Stearyldimoniumhydroxypropyl Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein

Wheat Amino Acids

Wheat Bran Extract

Wheat Germ Extract

Wheat Germ Glycerides

Wheat Germ Oil

Wheat Germamidopropyldimonium Hydroxypropyl Hydrolyzed Wheat

Protein

Wheat Protein

Wheat (Triticum Vulgare) Bran Extract

Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Flour Lipids

Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Germ Extract

Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Germ Oil

I know there have been a lot of people lately asking what they are looking for on their makeup and shampoo, so I thought this might help.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

That certainly will be helpful to many, Thanks

I also wanted to say when buying makeup, bring a magnifing glass with you as the ingredences are so small that a gnat couldn't even read them. B)

jerseyangel Proficient
I also wanted to say when buying makeup, bring a magnifing glass with you as the ingredences are so small that a gnat couldn't even read them. B)

That is SO true :D

Smunkeemom Enthusiast

It might be a good idea to throw out all your makeup and start over (I know it's expensive) but if you are like me, you mix eye shadows and lipsticks to get a better shade, and yeah, it can all get cross contaminated sitting in your makeup bag. Also, I hear it grows yucky stuff that can make you sick, so you are supposed to replace it every few months anyway.

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

I threw mine out and started over because it was easier that way and then I was assured that I coudn't possibly be glutened from my makeup because if you use the same stuff you did pre gluten-free then you have possible residue on the makeup

mac3 Apprentice

That's VERY helpful. Thanks so much. I had no idea what to look for in my daughter's products.

Chako Apprentice

Thanks so much for posting this! I would suggest making this a *sticky* if it is possible here as I was searching around for something like this. :D

So, I do have a silly question though about products containing gluten. The problem is not so much with contact as it is with possible ingestion through contact, correct?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Smunkeemom Enthusiast
Thanks so much for posting this! I would suggest making this a *sticky* if it is possible here as I was searching around for something like this. :D

So, I do have a silly question though about products containing gluten. The problem is not so much with contact as it is with possible ingestion through contact, correct?

I guess, my kids are pretty sensitive though, they can't use play dough or finger paint, and once got glutened by a generic brand bandaid (and it never went anywhere near their mouths)

I think they might have a combo of celiac and wheat allergy though :blink:

Chako Apprentice
I guess, my kids are pretty sensitive though, they can't use play dough or finger paint, and once got glutened by a generic brand bandaid (and it never went anywhere near their mouths)

I think they might have a combo of celiac and wheat allergy though :blink:

Playdough has gluten?! Ack.

Is it more that they have contact with something which contains gluten then put their hands to their mouths and that causes the problem? It is not a straight contact thing right?

Sorry, I just came back to edit this as I see you said bandaid too! Wow. I would actually have to look at bandaids as well? Where is a list of things overall to look for that can cause issues? **thinking I am going to go crazy finding gluten everywhere**

Smunkeemom Enthusiast
Playdough has gluten?! Ack.

Is it more that they have contact with something which contains gluten then put their hands to their mouths and that causes the problem? It is not a straight contact thing right?

Sorry, I just came back to edit this as I see you said bandaid too! Wow. I would actually have to look at bandaids as well? Where is a list of things overall to look for that can cause issues? **thinking I am going to go crazy finding gluten everywhere**

I am probably way too anal about it, but my rule, is anything they taste, touch, sit by, or smell.

Taste- of course, that's a no brainer

Touch- play dough, finger paint, makeup, soap, ect. Even though my girls actually do break out if they even touch gluten, there is also the possiblility that they don't get it washed off enough and get it on their food and eat it (I have acutally done this as a grown up :ph34r: ) Especially with hand soap, even if you do wash your hands, a little stays on, what are you going to do? wash it off with more gluten?

Sit by- This is just because of cross contamination, when they are at church, they are not supposed to have their gluten free cookies sitting next to gluten cookies, I don't want a stray crumb on their napkin and such, they have their own little "personal space" and the other kids know that they can't sit so close. Once, my youngest got glutened, by sitting by a kid who was playing with play dough, who touched her cup, and then I guess she got gluten in her mouth from the residue on his hands :( It's crazy.

Smell- not 100% sure on this one, this is probably where I actually am crazy, but I refuse to take my girls to hay rides because of the hay that's made of wheat, I know they get really sick around here during harvest, so I try to keep them away from the fields.

Things that might have gluten

soap

shampoo

bandaids (I called and Bandaid Brand is gluten free, I haven't called any others except for the generic that made her sick)

stamps ( the kind you ink and put on, not postage stamps)

envelopes (just don't lick them, I put on gloves and use a wet sponge)

glue

paint (including face paint, and finger paint)

make up

lotion

sunblock (Coppertone seems okay, but I haven't called the co. just checked it in the store)

Archived