This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Lancaster, Pa

de caps

de caps Contributor

:D We are traveling to Lancaster, PA this month. We will be staying at Willow Valley. Does anyone know of any gluten-free restaurants. I was told that Dutch Wonderland has a gluten-free fast food restaurant inside. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also I will need a gluten-free birthday cake for my daughter is there anyplace I can get one while I'm there. Thank you.

Donna

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guhlia Rising Star

I live just outside of Lancaster. There's an Outback and a Carraba's just off of route 30 in Lancaster, about 20 minutes or so from Willow Valley. They both have gluten free menus. Dutch Wonderland has a Kosher stand just inside the gates that has a small gluten free menu. Don't expect much though, there are only about 4 things on the menu. There are hot dogs though for the kids. I think that the Spudz french fry stand is gluten free also, but I'm not sure. I read teh ingredients on the fries and the oil and they both looked safe. I haven't gotten sick off of them. They have a dedicated fryer for the fries, but cc is always an issue. There's a Wendy's on route 741 in Millersville, about 20 minutes from Willow Valley. They have a gluten free menu online. The Dutch Apple Dinner Theatre in Centerville supposedly caters to food allergies, but I've never tried eating there. There's a great grocery store just north of Lancaster called Stauffer's of Kissel Hill. They have a gluten free section. It's about 35-40 minutes from Willow Valley. I would also call ahead and ask the chef at Willow Valley's restaurant if they could prepare gluten free meals for you. Their food is decent, but I haven't attempted to eat there since my diagnosis. If you have any other questions about the area, feel free to PM me or post back on this message. Hopefully I can answer your questions. I don't know of any place that will do a gluten free birthday cake.

de caps Contributor

:D Thank you so much for all the great information. I have stayed at Willow Valley before my diagnosis so I was not familiar with what I could find that was Gluten free. I am now even more excited about our trip to Lancaster knowing that I will be able to eat. Many thanks for taking the time to leave your post.

Donna

Guhlia Rising Star

Sure thing!!! Also, if you have small children, you might want to check out the Hands On House in Lancaster. It's a great place for 2-7 year olds. Maybe even older.

de caps Contributor

Thanks again. I looked up the directions to Carrabba's. It's so close to the hotel. My family loves Italian food so this should work out to be a very nice vacation. My children are 7 , 4, and 2. We are going to all the Rail road attractions since my sons love trains so much. We are also going to Dutch Wonderland. Thanks for suggestions I will definitely look into them. If you ever travel out to Long Island I'll let you know where you can eat safely. Thanks again for all the great information.

Guhlia Rising Star

Oooohhh... I almost forgot to tell you... At Dutch Wonderland they search your bags for food, BUT if you tell them that you have food allergies, you're allowed to bring in ONE small meal per allergic person. I take my daughter there all the time and I always take our lunches with me. The security guards confirmed this for me after guest relations told me. So, go ahead and take bag lunches for those that can't eat at the park. They shouldn't give you a hard time. :-)

Be sure to make reservations if you go to Carraba's or Outback. Both get pretty packed and there's often a long wait, even on weeknights sometimes.

de caps Contributor
:) Thanks again for the great info. Do I need a doctor's note confirming my diagnosis to enter Dutch Wonderland?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guhlia Rising Star

I have never needed a doctor's note and we go about 2 times a week sometimes. I always take our food in and they've never given me a hard time. You may want to get a doctor's note anyway though in case you decide to take the kids some place else. Most places that are all day attractions that can't provide gluten free food will allow you to bring your own food in with a note. It's probably a good thing to keep in the car anyway just in case you're in that situation.

Have fun on your vacation!

de caps Contributor
:) I have my note and one of those celiac dinnig cards. Thanks again.
  • 1 year later...
Alik Newbie

Hi guys, I know this is an old conversation, but just in case others google Willow Valley, figured I'd pass this along. Our family is going to Willow Valley for dinner tomorrow so I called to see what I might be able to eat. I spoke w/ a chef who said to find Dave or Ed (the 2 chefs working tomorrow) and they will walk me around and show me what is safe to eat. Additionally, if there is something that is gluten-free w/ a sauce that is not, they'll make that dish (fish or whatever) w/o the sauce.

Guhlia Rising Star

I may as well add that Scooters in Lititz, PA says they can do a gluten free meal. My husband spoke with the head chef a few weeks ago and he knew what gluten was and stated that he had made gluten free meals in the past. I haven't tried them yet, but if anyone does, let me know because we're only about 15 minutes away from the restaurant. It used to be one of my favorite places to eat pre-dx!

Gibraltar's in Lancaster (fine dining) also says that they are able to do a gluten free meal. I have not tried them either, but I imagine that it would be safe since they're a nicer restaurant.

Alik, where are you from? Lancaster?

mamaw Community Regular

Angie

I know buffets are not good because of cc but awhile back someone told me that the Shady Maple Buffet had some gluten-free items . Do you know anything about them? I ate at Miller's several years ago --- just had the salad bar , rotissorie chicken ( which they said was ok) & ice cream..

thanks

mamaw

I can't believe how big the babe is getting.... beautiful

Guhlia Rising Star

OMG, I would be SO excited if I could go to Shady Maple again. I used to meet friends there weekly! My friend Jill REALLY wants me to "get cured" so I can go to Shady Maple with her again. :) Anyway, I haven't heard anything about gluten-free options there. I'll have her ask next time she's there. It would be so cool if I could go there on occasion, just because she loves the place so much.

de caps Contributor

Hi,

Two years agao when I stayed at Willow Valley the chef made me my own seperate gluten-free meal. I was told not to trust their buffet. They made me chicken any way I wanted it , and whatever vegtable I wanted. They even had gluten-free brownies for dessert.

I hope you enjoy your meal there. They really will go out of their way to serve a safe gluten-free meal.

Donna

Archived