This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Had Pizza Today!

jerseyangel

jerseyangel Proficient

I am so excited, I couldn't wait to tell everyone--I made Roben Ryberg's pizza crust, topped it with Muir Glen Tomato Sauce, Hormel Pepperonni, sliced black olives and grated Pecorino Romano cheese (sheep's milk).

I swear, I haven't had pizza in at least a year and a half, and this crust looked so easy to make I thought what the heck! I used only potato starch, so it was grain free. The whole thing went together in about 10 minutes.

The best part is, it was fantastic!! While it was baking, it smelled delicious and tasted even better. Even my husband liked it. The two of us ate the whole thing :D

I actually have that "pizza burn" on the roof of my mouth :lol: Haven't had that in a long time!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guhlia Rising Star

That's awesome news! Glad you were able to enjoy the pizza.

AndreaB Contributor

That is great Patti!

Sounds good. We like pizza too.....haven't had any for about 2 months.

nikki-uk Enthusiast

...sounds delicious!!! :P:lol:

teebs in WV Apprentice

JerseyAngel,

Good for you! I have been using the personal size frozen crusts from Glutino, and they aren't bad. But I would love to try a homemade crust. Would you mind sharing the recipe that you used?

Thanks,

Tracy

DingoGirl Enthusiast

Yes Patt, fess up! but I confess I am lazy, want someone else to make it for me.... :)

TriticusToxicum Explorer

Congrats on the yummy pizza! I've been trying different packaged mixes, but have yet to find one that suit's my pizza snob pallet. The other night I gave up and made apizza bagel from a Glutino Bagel. It was actually the best pizza I have had since going gluten-free! The best part was, there was no mess to clean up!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

This is from "The Gluten-Free Kitchen" by Roben Ryberg--I highly recommend this book!!

PIZZA CRUST

1 packet yeast (1 tbsp.)

3/4 cup milk at room temperature (I used Vance's Dari Free)

1/2 cup potato starch

3/4 cup cornstarch (I used all potato starch)

1 tbsp. xanthan gum

1/4 tsp. baking soda

1 tsp. baking powder

1/2 tsp. salt

1/4 cup shortening (I used Spectrum Organic)

Preheat oven to 375. In small bowl, combine yeast and milk. Stir to dissolve yeast. Set aside.

In medium bowl, combine all dry ingredients and shortening. Mix well.

To dry ingredients, slowly add milk/yeast mixture. Mix well. Dough will look wet, thick and pasty but is quite workable if you spray your hands with non stick spray or keep your hands damp with water. This is a soft dough.

Roll or pat dough into a lightly greased baking tin or pizza pan. For a thick crust, pat out dough to 1/4 inch thickness. For a thin crust, pat out dough to 1/8 inch thickness. A 12 inch circle will produce a "hand-tossed" thickness--not too thick, not too thin.

Top as desired.

Bake 15-25 minutes, until crust is lightly browned. Use a spatula to lift up the pizza to check for light browning on the bottom of the crust the first time you make it.

(I did not need to wet or grease my hands at all--I patted the dough into a 12 inch pizza pan greased with Shortening.)

AndreaB Contributor

Patti,

Thanks for posting that. :)

jerseyangel Proficient

My pleasure :D

teebs in WV Apprentice

Yes Patti - thanks a million!

Tracy

bluejeangirl Contributor
Yes Patti - thanks a million!

Tracy

How exciting Patti. Pizza, sundays and football just go together. Thanks for sharing..it brings me hope.

Gail

TinkerbellSwt Collaborator

Congrats Patti! I think I will give yours a try. I have been using Carol Fensters pizza made with rice flour and tapioca flour, I make it almost everyday. I need a change! I still like hers.. but I am going to give yours a try.

Thanks!

BeckyW Contributor

Sounds wonderful! I will give this a try! Thanks for sharing! :rolleyes:

VydorScope Proficient

hmmmm I might just have to try that version!

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

I'm so happy with your description of the 'long awaited pizza'

thanks for sharing your delighted success.

love

judy ;)

ÆON Newbie

Aargh! You're killing me with those yummy toppings! :lol:

Thanks much for the recommendation. I had completely given up on having pizza again since I figured the crust is way too delicate for gluten-free flour mixes. Plus, gluten-free cooking is such an investment that I don't make anything unless someone says it pretty good first. Cowardly of me, I know. ;)

jerseyangel Proficient
hmmmm I might just have to try that version!

I actually thought of you--no eggs!--so it would be safe for Tim :D

VydorScope Proficient
I actually thought of you--no eggs!--so it would be safe for Tim :D

Yep, and more importanly (LOL) I am not big on the corny taste of all the crusts mix/recipes I have tried so far, yours is all potateo so prbly better!

Green12 Enthusiast

Patti, I'm so excited for you, PIZZA :lol: Congrats on finding a great recipe that works with your other intolerances, and for enjoying every last bite! Did it agree with you ok?

Isn't it funny how something as simple as good pizza on this diet makes us so excited :lol:

VydorScope Proficient
Isn't it funny how something as simple as good pizza on this diet makes us so excited :lol:

Forget that, pizza is worth getting excited over even if your not on any restictions!!

(Yes, I am a Italian from Jesery! :lol: )

imsohungry Collaborator

Yummy! Congrats to you and thanks for the recipe! I made a pizza last night with a crust modified from Betty Crocker's cookbook. Actually, it was very tasty. Even my hubby said so! :)B) Again, Congrats to you! Success... yummm :) -Julie

Turtle Enthusiast

WOO-HOO!!!

:P

floridanative Community Regular

Oh my that seems even easy enough for me to make Patti - lol! I just got some cornstarch and zanthum gum so I think all I need is the potato starch and the shortening. I'm going to have to give this a try this weekend. Thanks for sharing! So happy for you too!

eKatherine Rookie

I made this for lunch yesterday. It tasted ok, but I couldn't help noticing that I could feel the slipperiness of the xanthan gum on the tip of my tongue as I ate. Then last night I realized I had blisters and inflamed taste buds on the tip of my tongue! This morning they have gone down a little bit, but there are more of them now. I guess I'm going to throw away those leftovers...

Archived