This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

All Rice Flour Mix

Connie R-E

Connie R-E Apprentice

Hooray!! I've done it!! It's so much like regular flour--try it and tell me what you think!

Okay, I usually buy Bob's Red mill flour--or something of that type--and it's okay, but gritty... And, I like to buy Asian style flour, but it's too fine--like cornstarch...

So, here's what you do:

Mix equal parts of 3 rice flours--

Asian (fine)

Glutenous Asian (medium)

American (coarse) --like Bob's

This mix of 3 grinds of rice flour is great!! No xanthan gum, tapioca flour, potato flour, or anything but rice flour needed!!

I've been so happy with this-- I've been using it for 2 months now. It makes everything better! :D

I find the 2 Asian rice flours at the Asian Market nearby--and they are only .50-$1 per pound!!

I hope this flour mix can work for you, too!!

Connie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
granny Rookie
Hooray!! I've done it!! It's so much like regular flour--try it and tell me what you think!

Hey Connie,

I can't wait to try your new flour mix! I was making Chocolate Chip Cookies when I found your post and had already mixed them by the recipe on the site (#5 ). I wish I'd seen your post first. Oh well, it gives something else new to try! I'm still using your PB&J Bread recipe and still having great results, even my granddaughters love it! If anyone is looking for an easy non-yeast bread, this one is great! Keep up the great experimenting, I love your results too! Granny

chuot Newbie

Hi Connie,

When you say "Glutenous Asian" will it say that on the package? Does it come in bulk? I'm not familiar with shopping in Asian stores. I usually just do without bread, but that hasn't stopped me from putting on weight!

Thanks,

Chuot

Connie R-E Apprentice

Hi Chuot,

On the package it says "Glutinous Rice Flour" in 5 different languages. The kind I buy is made in Thailand, from Erawan Marketing Co., which is out of Bangkok, (66-2)881-4040 is the telephone number!

I find it at several of the local Asian food markets, so it seems to be popular.

I buy it in 1 pound bags. I don't know about bulk...

Look thru the yellow pages under "markets" for an Asian store near you! :)

Good luck!

Connie

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Granny!

I'm glad the Pb&J recipe is getting good use. :D

We made some Toll House Chocolate Cookies with this flour mix, and they were great!!!!

--Just use a bit more flour (like 3 cups instead of 2 1/4).

Josh had an allergy test and he registared really high on eggs.... looks like I've more experimenting to do! :(

Enjoy!

Connie

granny Rookie
Hi Granny!

Josh had an allergy test and he registared really high on eggs.... looks like I've more experimenting to do! :(

Enjoy!

Connie

HI Connie,

Sorry to hear about Josh scoring so high on eggs. Can you use something like Egg Beaters or some other egg substitute or do they all contain gluten? I've been doing this since Nov.2004 and it still shocks me sometimes that wheat can be in so many things. I got a real surprise last night when I read that Lamotil has gluten because I've been on it for 2 yrs trying to get this thing under control. There were times the docotor had me taking 12 a day! The things we go thru!<grin>

Catch you later Granny

Jo Ann Apprentice

Connie, I'm intrigued by your all rice flour mix. Does this work well with yeast bread, too? My grandson won't eat anything made with the stronger tasting flours like bean, sorgham, amaranth, etc. Tried Old Bob's bread mix, which seemed like a great loaf of bread, but the strong flavor was too much. I buy rice flour, potato & tapioca starch at the Asian Market. Do you get the American rice flour at the health food store? This isn't sweet rice flour, is it? Appreciate all the helpful hints everyone gives.

Found 2 breakfast bars that are gluten-free: Quaker Q-Smart Snack Bars and Post Carb Well Bars. Called on them, but always read labels, too.

Jo Ann

Forty320 Newbie

Hi,

Just thought I'd mention that Egg Beaters and other of those egg things that are sold around egg beaters are made with about 99% real eggs, so if it were me who had the egg allergy, I wouldn't use them either. ;)

- Dan

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

meinnc Newbie

I just made up Connie's flour mix and made the chocolate chip cookie recipe from the bag of morsels. Oh, my gosh!!! I can't believe how good theyare!! I tried just half a recipe to see how they would come out!

The flours were marked just as Connie said they would be. I paid $.89 per pound bag at our local Asian market.

Has anyone tried this new mix with yeast breads yet? I think my next adventure will be to get out my favorite pizza crust recipe and use this mix.

Connie, thanks for creating this new mix and sharing with us.

Martha

azza Apprentice
Mix equal parts of 3 rice flours--

Asian (fine)

Glutenous Asian (medium)

American (coarse) --like Bob's

Connie,

So, can I use that mix (of any 3 different kinds of rice flour) in any recipe for cookies or bread making? It is good since I don't need to use xanthan gum nor tapoica flour (because they are N/A here!)

I just made up Connie's flour mix and made the chocolate chip cookie recipe from the bag of morsels. Oh, my gosh!!! I can't believe how good theyare!! I tried just half a recipe to see how they would come out!

And Martha,

Can you give me the recipe of the cookies you mentioned that they were good? :)

meinnc Newbie

Azza,

The recipe I used for the chocolate chip cookies is the one right on the bag of Nestle's semi-sweet chocolate morsels. These cookies are delicious and didn't crumble!!!!!!!!!! For the half recipe I did up, I used 1 1/2 cups of flour as Connie had said to add a little extra.

Two of the rice flours I bought in an Asian market- the fine grind and the glutenous rice flour. For the 3rd rice flour I used half brown and half white rice flour which I purchase at the health food store.

Also, our local Asian market did sell potato starch and tapioca starch as well at much cheaper prices than the health food store here.

Connie,

Have you had any luck making yeast breads with this mix? Did you use extra flour?

Martha

Connie R-E Apprentice

Hi Guys,

I've been busy with the baby and haven't had a chance to read any posts in ages!!

I'm glad you're having good results with this flour mix! :D I think that the reason it works sooo well are the three sizes of the ground rice. It acts like "real flour". I use this mix for ALL my cooking--pizza, cookies, flat breads, cakes.... I've been meaning to try yeast breads for some time now, and when I do, I will definately use this mix!

I made the Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe with this mix a few weeks ago!

The cookies were sooo goood! I certainly recommend it!

The glutenous rice flour is even better than cornstarch as a thickener in sauces. Carefull you don't add too much! ;)

Joann,

Do you get the American rice flour at the health food store? This isn't sweet rice flour, is it?

I use Bob's or some such American brand, from the health food store. I'm not sure if sweet rice flour is the same as glutenous rice flour...but it might be...I think it could be...seems like I might have read that somewhere...

Granny~

taking 12 a day!

Wow!! No wonder you were still having trouble!!

:) Everyone, check your medications!!

Let me know how it works with yeast breads, brave bakers. I bet they'll be wonderful!

Keep up the great baking!

Connie

meinnc Newbie

Tonight I tried an old cake recipe of mine that makes a nice one layer cake using this rice flour mix. I hadn't been brave enough to try it with the other flour combinations yet.

What a surprise!!! The cake was delightful and tasted just like it did when I was using wheat flour.

I think what I like most about Connie's flour mix is I don't have to feel like a mad scientist with my big stack of ingredients to make something!!

Connie,

Are you mainly using your mix with the recipes from the gluten-free cookbooks or are you going back to your old recipes (pre gluten-free days) and substituting this mix for the wheat like I did with the cake?

Thanks again for putting this together!!

Martha

Connie R-E Apprentice

Martha,

I like to use my "old" cookbooks! The gluten-free recipies are, well, weird!! Always some odd ingredient or way of making it that just isn't necessary with the right flour combination! ;)

I'm glad it's working well for you. I feel like the flour combo was just staring me in the face! But, I really did it to keep my baking costs lower. :rolleyes:

Connie

gluten-free since 1-'98

meinnc Newbie

Connie,

I have quite a bit of gluten-free flour combos made up to go with different cookbook authors so will still need to work through all that but will surely work my way over to this mix of yours full-time. Plus I have acquired several gluten-free cookbooks, but some of the recipes look good so I'll keep them.

I just realized that I can make my regular Xmas cookies this year!!!

Martha

gluten-free since 2/03

azza Apprentice

Connie,

The rice flours that are available in my area are: red rice flour and white rice flour. Can I use cornstarch as a substitute for the 3rd type of rice flour?

Thanks! :P

Connie R-E Apprentice

Azza,

I bet you could! I'm not familiar with red rice flour or how fine it is ground, but I'm sure we will find a winning combination!

Put each in front of you and feel the flours with your fingers. Taste them and find out their similar and different properties....

You're looking for a very fine grind--like cornstarch--velvety smooth, melts in your mouth.

A large grind--like Bob's Red Mill Rice flour--gritty, definate pieces felt, like super fine sand...but still sand.

And then, one in the middle...

Combine them in equal parts. These three together make a great flour--like wheat. I try to make all of them rice just because I want the perfect rice flour! B)

Let me know how your flours work out. :P

Connie

• 1 month later...
BamBam Community Regular

I live in a small town, and have no way to get to an asian market, where can I order these flours or order the mix? ;)

Bernadette

• 1 month later...
chuot Newbie

Connie,

I know that this is an old subject, but I wanted to ask if when you bake with your mix do you lower the oven temperature and lengthen the baking time? If so on both, how much? I haven't really done a lot of baking since being gluten-free, so I need all the good information I can find.

Thank you!

Carmen

Guest imsohungry

Connie,

I was wondering if I need to sift these flours? I read somewhere that sifting gluten-free flours makes for a lighter bread.

Curious B) -Julie

pixiegirl Enthusiast

I can't find these flours locally, if someone finds them online could they post that info here. thanks!

Susan :rolleyes:

taligator Newbie

Most grocery stores carry rice flours in the asian section. Check your phonebook for local stores as well, or you can always ask someone. If you know someone who is asian it is likely they will know of a local resource or can tell you of a reliable online source.

That said, Open Original Shared Link carried both the fine rice and the glutinous rice flours. Their prices are quite higher than an asian market for a 1lb package but if you can't find it locally, price becomes rather trivial I suppose. :)

I personally have not ordered from Import Foods, but a friend has and had a good experience with them.

I would offer to purchase these flours and send them to people interested but it may not cost less than purchasing from the above retailer.

Bob's Redmill flours can be purchased from Open Original Shared Link website, along with other Gluten free products like the En-R-Gee brand. Note: sweet rice flour is NOT the same as regular rice flour. Bob's carries both, you would want the Open Original Shared Link.

I haven't tried the flour mix yet as I'm still rather infatuated with Roben Rybergs cornstarch/potato starch mixture. But, I'll be certain to do so soon.

-Tracey

Connie R-E Apprentice

Hi Guys!

I'm still in love with the "3 Rice Flours Mix"! I feel like I can bake anything!! :D

It acts light and fluffy like wheat flour and I haven't used xanthan gum in months.

I bake it just like the recipe says. I don't change cooking temeratures, times, or liquid amounts.

I think sifting it would be a great idea! I forgot all about sifting! :rolleyes:

The best way to find an Asian food store is to look them up in a Yellow pages search engine under : Asian foods, Groceirs,

Wait, I have an idea....

Okay, here we go!! WooHoo!!

Open Original Shared Link

This is what you want!!!!!

Erawan Glutinous Rice Flour

Open Original Shared Link and

Erawan Rice Flour

Open Original Shared Link

(DO NOT order the Mixed flour--it is wheat!!)

Okay, I haven't bought flour from this company, so I can't really recommend them, but I do believe that these are the very same flours I am using--by their descriptions.

So, use 1 part Erawan Rice Flour + 1 part Glutinous Rice Flour + 1 part Bob's, or Arrowhead Mills, Rice flour--sift well, and bake happily!

I usually mix 1 pound of each in a container and just keep it with my baking supplies.

Let me know how it goes!! B)

Connie

gluten-free since1-'98

FreyaUSA Contributor

I finally got over to the asian market and found very easily, the two flours. $.75 here! :lol: I then got home and mixed the three together (sifting and such 3-4xs) until my toaster was white instead of metallic and my black shirt was definitely gray (that seemed good enough.)

Now I can't wait to try it! I'm going to try a bread recipe today (since no one spoke of using this yet for bread, I'm going to give it a try. Not certain if it will be a yeast bread, but I would LOVE a good bread that my kids will eat that uses my bread machine.)

Thank you Connie for the recipe!

PS. Have you used it in any bread recipes yet? Please post if you have. :)

Connie R-E Apprentice

I haven't yet tried it in a yeast bread recipe, but it works great in flat breads--and everything else I've tried it in!! :P

I just bought a 2nd hand, never-been-used-doesn't-come-with-instructions Toastmaster Bread Box. As soon as I figure it out, I'll make some ....Egg-Free! :rolleyes:

Connie

dmchr4 Apprentice

Ok, I'm excited to try this, but... can't find the glutinous rice flour! I got the fine rice flour for just 59 cents a lb here. The lady in the store had no idea what I was talking about - language barrier I think!

Can I substitute sweet rice flour from Bob's red mill for the glutinous rice flour? Isn't that sort of the same thing? I may go ahead and order some glutinous rice off the internet but I wanted to be able to bake some stuff for Thanksgiving.

Any other good gluten-free foods from asia I could order? Shipping is free over $75! :) They have rice snack crackers that are gluten-free.

Anyone tried this in yeast bread or pizza crust yet?

Archived