This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Help Me Understand The Whole Pots And Pans Thing...

melie

melie Apprentice

Hi all,

I am a bit confused re: the issue of pots and pans. Do I get my own, or is washing in hot soap and water sufficient, which is what I am currently doing. Does the type of pan matter? We have Calphalon, regular stainless steel and cast iron pans. Also, I read something about getting rid of wooden spoons? Can gluten really infiltrate them and survive a hot water washing? I have gotten myself my own toaster but don't know how stringent I need to be with other utensils if they're being washed, esp. in the dishwasher. Thanks for any tribal wisdom on this!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AndreaB Contributor

As far as I understand from reading here. Stainless steel is good. Non stick is hard to get the gluten out if it's scratched, I think the same may be true for cast iron. I got rid of my cast iron and wooden utensils as well as some of the old plastic, like the colander and cooking spatulas.

gfp Enthusiast

AndreaB summed it up rather well so ...

The only thing to add is that plain washing isn't enough.

You can scrub stainless steel with scouring pads and you need to throw away the scouring pads after touching gluten ... wooden spoons only cost cents anyway but what needs to be said is sticking things with gluten in a dishwasher contaminates everything else. Gluten is not alive so heat doesn't kill it ... although if you get it hot enough it will eventually turn into charcoal ....

I honestly think scouring pads and especially steel wool etc is a big problem since you scrub off the stuck on gluten ...

dishwashers ... well I know if I put coffee grounds in the dishwasher they get everywhere.... coffee grounds are just easier to see than gluten... specifically gluten is more or less insoluble in water the effect of sticking it in a dishwasher is pretty close to the process used to extract gluten when making wheat starch ... especially the alkalia wash process ... which is largely what dishwasher tablets are. In other words it washes the starch and leaves insoluble concentrated gluten.

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi :)

As mentioned by Andrea, the problem with non stick pans is that gluten can get lodged in the scratches, and transfer to the food you're cooking.

Wooden utensils and cutting boards once used for gluten containing foods, you really need to replace. This goes for your collander, too. In both cases, it's impossible to get all of the gluten out of the tiny holes and cracks.

Stainless steel is fine--just scrub what you have well, and then run it through the dishwasher.

I actually got rid (donated/gave away) of all of my non stick cookware. We replaced it with stainless steel, and since I prepare all of our meals, don't use gluten on them at all. I kept one saucepan--just in case--and after 14 months, have not used it once!

I put all of our dishes in the dishwasher together--even if my husband or son has eaten, for instance, a regular bagel. I rinse everything well beforehand--so no crumbs get into the machine.

Don't forget to use a separate toaster and wash out the silverware holder!

Mtndog Collaborator

Good advice from everyone here- the other thing I did that made a big difference was two sponges- one to wash off dishes that were gluten-free and one to wash off dishes that had gluten (color-coded) and it REALLY helped.

I DID buy new pots and pans because ours were old. I got a non-stick set at Linen's and Things for about $80 that had EVERYTHING I needed in it. And it was red which was my husband's warning sign that it was not to put gluten in. I figured buying a cheap set that could be replaced when it got scratches was probably the best way to go for me.

PS Love your picture and your name (honey?)

Jestgar Rising Star

Being stubborn, I actually tested the "gluten sticking in teflon" theory.

Get rid of your pans. Even after multiple washings and cooking other things in them I was still getting glutened from my instant potatoes.

(After that I just assumed everyone on this board was smarter than I am and pretty much did everything they suggested).

jerseyangel Proficient
Being stubborn, I actually tested the "gluten sticking in teflon" theory.

Get rid of your pans. Even after multiple washings and cooking other things in them I was still getting glutened from my instant potatoes.

(After that I just assumed everyone on this board was smarter than I am and pretty much did everything they suggested).

I did the same thing, only with personal care products, Jestgar! I thought--no way am I going to care about this stuff, too....

But, I stood corrected (or should I say sat :unsure: ) :lol:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AndreaB Contributor
But, I stood corrected (or should I say sat :unsure: ) :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

I just took everyone elses advice since I'm one that didn't have obvious symptoms. :P

Turtle Enthusiast

I did the same thing, only with personal care products, Jestgar! I thought--no way am I going to care about this stuff, too....

I'm guilty of both: the kitchen and the personal products.

I think i've got the personal products all taken care of now. :D My next big project is replacing everything in my kitchen. My goal is to start my new year off with a completely gluten-free kitchen. Yippee!!

Guest Kathy Ann

Can I assume that if I have been washing all dishes (gluten ones included) in the dishwasher, seldom perfectly rinsed, sometimes reasonably rinsed and sometimes not rinsed at all (when the kids do the dishes), that I have probably been glutening myself on a daily basis? I'm also very allergic to dairy and eggs and those dishes have been going in there barely rinsed as well. Are most of us sensitive enough for that to be true? It makes me tired.

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi Kathy Ann,

It's best to rinse the crumbs off so they can't fly around the dishwasher and adhere to the dishes once dry.

I edited this because I thought I read washwater :blink:

melie Apprentice

Thank you everybody... I learned a lot! I guess new pots and sponges and spoons are in my very near future!

Archived