This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Matzo Meal

hannahsue01

hannahsue01 Enthusiast

I found some pkgs. of breading mix that the main ingreadient was matzo meal.....it didn't lis any wheat products. But I donno what matzo meal is or if it is safe to eat. Does anyone know what this stuff is?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

RiceGuy Collaborator

I seem to recal reading that it's made with wheat. I'm sure Google can help though. It may be there are gluten-free kinds of matzo, but that would certainly be noted on the package.

RiceGuy Collaborator
I found this for you...

Open Original Shared Link

That's interesting, though I doubt the manufacturer is strictly sticking to such traditions. I Googled and found sites providing matzo recipes for passover, and easily found some with no reference to the kind of flour to be used. Seems to me matzo should be easy to make with something like buckwheat, rice flour, sorghum, millet, or a number of other gluten-free grains.

RiceGuy Collaborator
Good idea... I was thinking she was reading as an ingredient on a package.

Oh yeah. Good catch. It IS an ingredient - in a breading mix. But gluten-free breading doesn't need to use matzo, though I see the idea behind using it. I don't use breading on anything, but if I needed to I think I'd first try a gluten-free hot cereal. The "mighty tasty hot cereal" comes to mind, as does corn grits. Something like that might cook quickly enough depending on how it's used I guess. Honestly never tried any. Many posts on this board suggest throwing some gluten-free bread in a blender and grind it up for "instant" gluten-free bread crumbs.

hannahsue01 Enthusiast

I'm confused now. The website above says that matzo bread is made from water and wheat but it says that matzo meal is used in place of wheat for some religious reasons. I guess maybe I should call the manufactur.

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular
I'm confused now. The website above says that matzo bread is made from water and wheat but it says that matzo meal is used in place of wheat for some religious reasons. I guess maybe I should call the manufactur.

It's written in a very confusing way. Read again, but see the bolded words:

Five grains are forbidden for use during Passover in any processed form but dry-roasting and as matzoh: wheat, barley, spelt, rye, and either oats (according to Rashi) or two-rowed barley (according to Rambam's interpretation of Mishnah Kilayim 1:1; Yerushalmi Challah 1:1). (Wheat and spelt are both in the genus Triticum and anything else in the genus is likewise forbidden.

What that means is that the grains are only forbidden if they have not been dry-roasted and made into matzoh first. It then goes on to explain that it can't be made into matzoh if the dough has sat around for more than 18 minutes, as that would make it start to rise even without added leavening.

So, regular commercial matzoh meal is off limits to us celiacs, as it is almost always made from wheat that has been dry-roasted and then made into matzoh. Matzoh is basically just crackers that have been made from water and wheat (no leavening).

Hope that helps clear things up!

hannahsue01 Enthusiast

Thanks...I think I get it now.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

myserenityprayer Explorer

Hi...matzo is unleavened bread that Jewish people eat during Passover because they cannot have bread that is leavened. Matzo is made with flour and water but does not have the same "rising power" as other breads, like white bread or italian bread. Its flat and cracker like. Matzo meal is just grinded up matzo crackers used to make matzo balls and other things during Passover. While matzo, especially matzo balls are delicious, IT IS NOT GLUTEN FREE.

• 1 year later...
ChicoYaYa Newbie

Thank you, Fiddle-Faddle for speaking to this. That is my understanding as well. Yes, it is wheat (usually) but has been certified Kosher and appropriate for use during Passover.

My search is for a Passover type "matzoh" cracker that can be made using non-gluten flours...

If anyone has a recipe, please let me know!

cruelshoes Enthusiast
Thank you, Fiddle-Faddle for speaking to this. That is my understanding as well. Yes, it is wheat (usually) but has been certified Kosher and appropriate for use during Passover.

My search is for a Passover type "matzoh" cracker that can be made using non-gluten flours...

If anyone has a recipe, please let me know!

Enjoy!

itchygirl Newbie

I don't eat oats but....

About 20 years ago Rabbi Kestenbaum started producing these matzos,and in due couse Hashem helped him to breed completely gluten free oats in Scotland. These are used to produce the only gluten free matzos in the world. The machine matzos are packed in boxes weighing approximately 1lb each net and holding about 11 matzos. We also produce gluten free hand matzos which are very mehudar and they come in boxes containing 3 round matzos.

Archived