This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

My Old Friend

nikki-uk

nikki-uk Enthusiast

Feeling really choked up this morning as my poor sweet kitty Felix passed away :(

He was the most placid, friendly dopey cat - marvellous with my kids.

My sons used to carry him over their arm like a handbag! but he'd still be purring away.

It was expected - he was in heart failure but *sigh*....I will really miss him :(

It's funny how pets get 'under your skin' & become part of the family.

I will now have the unenviable task of telling the kids later :( ,-expecting tears, but I suppose they have to learn that this is the circle of life. <_<

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

Nikki,

I'm so very, very sorry to hear about Felix :(:(:(

I know you were expecting it, but it's sad just the same. I don't envy you telling the kids. Hugs to all of you :)

angel-jd1 Community Regular

So sorry to hear about your furr baby. They are family and it's very hard to loose them. :( I'm sure someone will post the Rainbow Bridge poem, it's a good thing to read at times like this.

-Jessica :rolleyes:

Canadian Karen Community Regular

Hi Nikki.......

I'm sorry about your beloved cat. I know the feeling of loss when you lose a loyal pet - it is heartbreaking, especially for the children.

Sending lots of hugs your way.......

Karen

happygirl Collaborator

Nikki,

I am so sorry that your sweet Felix died...hugs to you and your kids. It isn't easy when such a loving pet leaves us...

xoxo,

Laura

Guest nini

I'm so sorry to hear about your sweet Felix. I've lost 3 cats over the past two years, one from renal failure, one from old age, and one from a severe allergic reaction... it's never ever easy and they do get under your skin.

With my daughter we have a ritual at bedtime where she kisses a picture of the kitties that have passed away, that has helped her through the grieving process. We also didn't intend on replacing any of our kitties but we somehow ended up with two new kitties... Life goes on...

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge. When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind. They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

CarlaB Enthusiast

I'm sorry Nikki, it's so hard to lose a pet.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Adelle Enthusiast

I'm so sorry. *hugs*

DingoGirl Enthusiast

Oh Nikki - the dingos and I send our condolences. It is SO sad to lose a pet, they are absolutely part of the family and add so much just by being there.

I lost my beloved Miss Cookie, a 14-y-old big fat tortie-point Himalayan....there was never a cat like her, she acted like a dog and was SO funny....I knew I could never have a cat like that again so I got......a dog. And then another. :)

Coincidentally my mom put her 14-y-old cat down yesterday also...so lots of sad kitty grieving.

hugs and love......I think there is a kitten waiting for you somewhere..... :)

spunky Contributor

I'm so sorry. It's a very sad thing we when lose our little furry companions.

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

So sorry, Nikki. :(

Jestgar Rising Star

I'm so sorry Nikki, I too lost three of my friends over the last couple years. Sending you hugs

Guest melannen

Losing a pet is soo hard! Felix sounds like he was a wonderful friend and companion.

Four years ago I lost my Tigger. We're not sure what took him as he was fine one week and the next he was gone :( Korat (my current furry companion) was what saved me, cuddling with another furball made me feel better.

<<hugs>>

hez Enthusiast

Feeling your pain, I am so sorry.

Hez

luvs2eat Collaborator

I'm so sorry about your kitty. Our pets do become such an important member of our families! (((hugs)))

jennyj Collaborator

(((((hugs))))) you and your family will be in my prayers.

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

:( I'LL ADD MY {{{{{{{{{{{ HUGS }}}}}}}}}} TOO

SO SORRY IT'S SUCH A SAD TIME.

WE'VE LOST OUR FURRY PETS TOO AND IT HURTS SOOOO BAD.

JUDY

mommida Enthusiast

I had to put my cat to sleep on Wed. She was almost 15. She saved my life when I had meningitis and slept by my side every night. ((HUGS)) to you and your family.

Laura

Guest nini
I had to put my cat to sleep on Wed. She was almost 15. She saved my life when I had meningitis and slept by my side every night. ((HUGS)) to you and your family.

Laura

{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}}} for you too mommida and for everyone else who's lost a furry friend...

mouse Enthusiast

I am so sorry for both of you - Nikki and mommida. It is so hard to lose a family member and they are family. You might try reading the poem Rainbow Bridge to your children as it is so lovely and does help the heartache.

Kaycee Collaborator
Feeling really choked up this morning as my poor sweet kitty Felix passed away :(

Nikki, I know how you feel with losing your cat Felix.

We are in the same boat, our lovely Mintie was put down on Monday.

"He was the most placid, friendly dopey cat - marvellous with my kids." That sounds so much like Mintie, just change the He to a She.

She was 15 and went downhill very suddenly, but for the last few years, we knew it wouldn't be too many more years left with her. We thought we would be ready for when she went. You can never be prepared for a pet going.

We said goodbye to her, my son and I held her hand for the last moment.

I think of her constantly, but with a smile.

I remember the kitten that would go awol and I would have to look for her. I remember her time in lockup when she managed to get herself shut up in the garage, not once, but about 5 times, and not just our garage, but a neighbours as well. I remember her gentleness, no scratches, but was deadly with the wildlife. Mintie would help me at 5pm when I was cooking tea, she loved her food and would want to know what was on the menu.

Mintie I miss you.

So Nikki, I feel for you, and know how hard it is.

Catherine

tiredofdoctors Enthusiast

ah, Nikki, I'm so sorry about Felix. I hope you and your family start feeling better soon. Love & Hugs, Lynne

nikki-uk Enthusiast

Thank you EVERYONE for your kind thoughts and words - and ((((hugs)))) to Laura and Catherine :(

The kids were understandibly upset and we had lots of cuddles :)

Nini - thanks so much for that verse - I have copied it for my son (It made me cry!)

Hubby wants to get me another kitten - but it's too raw at the moment.

Thanks all :)

Guest nini

you are welcome Nikki, someone else posted it for me when I lost my beloved kitties, Azriel, Jezebel, and Zeke, all within 2 years... It is so hard to lose a furry family member as they give such unconditional love

jaten Enthusiast

{{{{hug}}}}

Nikki and Mommida. All of us who have lost a furry family member feel your pain.

Regarding your husband's suggestion, you'll know when it's right. Consider adopting a furry friend soon. For me it was healing twice to soon give a home to a new dog in honor & memory of one that is no longer with me. That's me. You'll know if that perspective is right for you.

{{{{HUGS}}}}

Archived