This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Favorite gluten-free Thanksgiving Recipes

lonewolf

lonewolf Collaborator

I know there are several Thanksgiving threads going on, but I thought it would be fun to consolidate all the recipes in one thread. There are a lot of talented cooks/bakers on here, so please share your knowledge! I have several recipes that are gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free and soy-free, so mine will mostly be simple and for those of us who have more intolerances than just gluten.

No Bake Pumpkin Pie Filling (no eggs, dairy or soy)(Double Recipe)

2-1/2 C Rice Milk

1-1/3 C Maple Syrup

1 tsp vanilla

3 envelopes unflavored Knox gelatin or equivalent

2 tsp. cinnamon

1/2 tsp ginger

1/2 tsp nutmeg

1/2 tsp salt

1-29 oz can pumpkin

1 prebaked pie crust

Sprinkle gelatin (or whatever you use) over rice milk in saucepan. Let stand 1-2 minutes to soften. Stir over low heat until gelatin dissolves - about 2 minutes. Add maple syrup, spices and vanilla and stir over med. low heat for 3-5 minutes. Blend in pumpkin and continue to stir for 1-2 minutes. Cool until starting to thicken slightly. (It should be pretty cool.) Pour into pie shell. Chill at least 3 hours. Makes 2 pies.

Gluten Free Pie Crust (makes one crust for 9" pie)

1 C gluten-free flour mix - whatever you like to use, I don't like bean flour in this recipe

1/2 tsp (rounded) Xanthan gum (if it's not in your flour mix)

1/2 tsp Ener-G egg replacer (can omit if you don't have)

1/4 tsp Salt (omit if using salted butter or margarine)

1/2 C Margarine, Spectrum Naturals Shortening or Butter

1/2 tsp. vinegar

1/4 C Ice water

Sift dry ingredients together 3 times. Cut margarine, shortening or butter in with a pastry blender until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Stir in cold water until dough forms ball. Add water or flour if needed to make dough the right texture. You don't want it too dry! Refrigerate for 15-20 minutes. Roll out on board dusted with rice flour or tapioca starch. Use as you would any other pie crust.

Pumpkin Dream Pie (no eggs, dairy or soy)

3/4 C canned pumpkin

1/4 C maple syrup

1/2 tsp. cinnamon

1/4 tsp. ginger

dash of cloves

dash of nutmeg

1 Quart vanilla Rice Dream or Rice Cream, softened

1/2 C chopped pecans, optional

9" Graham Cracker type crust - excellent made with Pamela's Ginger Cookies

Mix pumpkin, maple syrup and spices. Mix into Rice Dream/Cream until well-blended. Scrape into crust, freeze for at least 2 hours before serving. Sprinkle on pecans if desired.

Cranberry Sauce

1 (12-ounce) package fresh cranberries

1 cup honey

1/4 cup water

1 Satsuma orange, finely chopped

Place cranberries, honey and water into 2-quart saucepan. Bring to boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for about 10 minutes or until most of the cranberries have "popped" open.

Remove from heat; stir in oranges. Cool to room temperature first, before refrigerating to set.

Makes about 4 cups.

Simple Yams

4 Large yams

maple syrup, to taste

cinnamon, to taste

salt, to taste

butter, if desired

Boil yams in skins until tender, allow to cool. Peel skins off. Cut into 1/2" slices. Place in casserole dish. Sprinkle with a dash of salt, drizzle with maple syrup and sprinkle with cinnamon. Put a few pats of butter on top if desired. Bake in oven for 20-30 minutes.

Serves 10-12

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest Kathy Ann

Thanks, lonewolf! It's hard to find recipes free from everything I can't have. I'm certainly going to try these! :)

clbevilacqua Explorer

I don't know if you can find chocolate chips that meet your requirements, as I only need to be gluten-free. But my first year making a pumpkin pie I hadn't yet figured out a crust and used crushed pecans and crushed chocolate chips mixed together. Put them in the bottom of a greased pie plate and microwave them until soft enough (but not melted) to push down and together. Then just pour a no-bake pumpkin pie on top. Everyone loved it so much (and I was the only gluten-free person at the meal) that it is requested every year! I also drizzled a fine thread of melted chocolate on top of the pie for decoration.

elfkin Contributor

Pumpkin Bars

(Sort of a moist pumpkin cake with cream cheese icing)

4 eggs

1 2/3 cup of sugar

1 c. oil

1 can (@16 oz.) of pumpkin

Beat this together until fluffy.

In a seperate bowl, mix:

2 cups gluten-free flour (I used Bob's - but whatever)

2 t. baking soda

2 t. cinnamon

1 t. salt

1 t. gluten-free baking powder

Mix the wet and dry ingredients together and pour into a 9x13 pan.

Bake @ 350 for @ 30 minutes or until it is done all the way through - test with a toothpick if needed.

Icing is made by creaming 3 oz. of cream cheese and 1/2 c. softened butter together. Then add 2 cups powdered sugar and 1 t. vanilla. Beat well.

Pour icing over bars while they are hot. The icing will melt across the bars into yummy pumpkin loveliness!

This is our favorite holiday treat!

happygirl Collaborator

my favorite pumpkin cheesecake recipe, which I made last year and others on the board did as well. I was the only Celiac at T-G and they loved it. It is actually very easy, because the ONLY substitution is for the graham cracker crumbs....the rest is naturally gluten free.

Pumpkin Cheesecake:

Crust:

1 ½ cups graham cracker crumbs (instead, I used Pamela's pecan shortbread cookies crushed up, or use gluten-free ginger snap cookies) (to get to crumbs, put in food processor!)

3 Tablespoons sugar

3 Tablespoons butter, melted

Filling:

4 (I used 2 reduced fat, 2 regular) packages of cream cheese, softened (8 oz packages)

1 ½ cups Sugar

4 eggs, room temperature

2 Tablespoons maple syrup

1 teaspoon ginger

½ teaspoon nutmeg

1 teaspoon cinnamon

¼ cup Fat Free Evaporated Milk

1 cup pure pumpkin

Topping:

2 cups sour cream

¼ cup Sugar

1 Tablespoon maple syrup

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. (Note: it makes a very deep cheesecake...I think someone last year actually doubled the "crust" recipe and made two not-as-deep cheesecakes...and adjusted the baking time for the filling....but you could do it either way)

For the crust: Melt butter and mix with sugar and crumbs. Press firmly onto bottom of 9” springform pan (I used a holiday pie pan) Bake at 325 degrees for 10 minutes.

For the filling: Beat the cream cheese and sugar blend until well blended. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing on low speed. Add remaining ingredients and mix until blended. Pour mixture over crust. Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour and 5 minutes or until center is almost set (mine was right at 1hr 5 min). Keep oven on.

For the topping: Combine sour cream, sugar, and syrup. Remove cheesecake from oven and top with sour cream mixture. Return to oven for additional 15 minutes. Allow cake to stand at room temperature for 1 hour. Loosen cake from rim, but do not remove remove from cake. Cool completely before removing rim. Refrigerate at least 4 hours (I did it overnight).

To serve it, we added a little bit of Cool Whip to the top also.

Have a blessed Thanksgiving!

floridanative Community Regular

Kahlua Candied Yams

Canned yams (I use canned yams in syrup)

Butter

Brown sugar

Kahlua

*I don't list quantities as it depends on how many servings you want but a simlilar recipe is on the Kahlua website and I think I modified it just slightly as theirs may call for cooding the yams in the skillet as well, which I don't like to do.

Melt the butter and brown sugar in a skillet, then add kahlua to taste. Simmer on low for a few minutes.

Place pcs. of yams in a single layer in a baking dish and then cover with sauce. Cook on 350 until bubly - probably lesst than 30 minutes. In case you didn't know, Kahlua is gluten free according to the manufacturer.

AndreaB Contributor

Thanks Liz! These sound good. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lauren M Explorer
Kahlua Candied Yams

Canned yams (I use canned yams in syrup)

Butter

Brown sugar

Kahlua

*I don't list quantities as it depends on how many servings you want but a simlilar recipe is on the Kahlua website and I think I modified it just slightly as theirs may call for cooding the yams in the skillet as well, which I don't like to do.

Melt the butter and brown sugar in a skillet, then add kahlua to taste. Simmer on low for a few minutes.

Place pcs. of yams in a single layer in a baking dish and then cover with sauce. Cook on 350 until bubly - probably lesst than 30 minutes. In case you didn't know, Kahlua is gluten free according to the manufacturer.

ooooh, I love Kahlua! And sweet potatoes and yams! Floridanative - what kind of yams are gluten-free?

- Lauren

happygirl Collaborator

A very simple/basic-yet delicious!-stuffing/dressing recipe:

Bake a loaf of gluten free bread....from a mix or from scratch. Last year I made cornbread, but you could very easily use "white" bread. Or, use a store bought one.

Slice the loaf, and cube it, and spread out on a baking sheet. Leave out to dry out, or put in oven for a few hours on 200 to speed it up. Transfer to a bowl or baking dish (depending on if you are baking it in the turkey or on the side)

Dice up onions and celery...or other veggies you want in it.

Melt a good amount of butter in saute pan.

Add your veggies, salt and pepper, and any spices you might want.

Once they have started to get soft, pour butter/veggie mix over the dried bread mixture, and then bake as normal (in or out of turkey).

I made it last year, as well as one gluten-filled one (out of a box), to serve my husband's family at our house (I was the only Celiac). They actually like "mine" better!

floridanative Community Regular

Lauren M - I don't recall the brand but Publix carries one that is gluten free, but it does not say so on the can. Don't know if any do. The company doesn't process wheat so there is no risk of cc as far as I understand it. For the freshest yams you can bake your own but I don't have that kind of time during my busy work season which happens to come in the holiday season. I've had canned yams several times since going gluten free and each time I've been fine. Kahlua is a great flavor to use in various desserts - of course you have to modify most of them to be gluten free. The company used to print free mini recipes books years ago but I haven't seen one in ages.

Sweetfudge Community Regular

mostly i'm a traditional turkey dinner kind of girl! i love the meat, the mashed potatoes and gravy, and the pies.

my aunt made a really good fruit salad last year...it was pomegranites in lime jello. i think she added coolwhip to it as well to make it fluffier. i thought about adding some strawberries too.

anyone have a good roll recipe? that was my other holiday fave, and i want to make the whole meal gluten-free but husband wants some GOOD rolls....

hm, also, someone posted a really good looking recipe for crustless mini pumpkin pies earlier....i'll see if i can find it.

Guhlia posted this (and I know I'm dying to try them!!):

Pumpkin Pie "Cupcakes"

INGREDIENTS

* 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin

* 1 (14 ounce) can Sweetened Condensed Milk (NOT evaporated milk)

* 2 eggs

* 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

* 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger

* 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

* 1/2 teaspoon salt

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

2. Put baking cups (liners) into a muffin/cupcake pan.

3. Whisk pumpkin, sweetened condensed milk, eggs, spices and salt in medium bowl until smooth.

4. Pour mixture into each cup about until about 3/4 full.

5. Bake until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

6. Cool. Garnish as desired.

Store leftovers covered in refrigerator.

lol one more thing :D

I know this isn't very "traditional" but this is my new favorite dessert since going gluten-free! I've made it successfully twice, and plan on making it for thanksgiving as well! For those who would shun it at the thought of eating goat cheese (like my husband), I recommend just not telling them this special ingredient you added....

Oh that reminds me, my new way of making mashed potatoes is with an ounce or two of goat cheese. SO GOOD and CREAMY! Great taste! I kept the secret of this recipe from husband as well :lol:

Recipe taken from "The Gluten-Free Bible" by Jax Peters Lowell (pg. 141)

This cheesecake isn't as sweet and heavy as typical varieties. It can be baked in 4 individual 4-inch springform pans or in one 8-inch springform pan.

*Note: I found a springform pan (which is a pan that can be separated side from bottom) at Wal-Mart for like $6. I know Williams-Sonoma has individual sized pans...but they're probably a fortune

Goat Cheese Cake with Nut Crust and Lemon Curd

Serves 4-6 (*although I managed to make this last a week in my fridge with me eating a piece every night)

Cake:

10 oz goat cheese (*use a good cheese like Chevre or Montrachet)

6 oz cream cheese

½ cup sugar

3 large eggs

zest of one lemon

Crust:

½ cup pinenuts

½ cup almonds

1/8 cup brown sugar

2 tbsp diced cold butter

dash of salt

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

2. Roast nuts: coarsely chop and arrange on a baking sheet in one layer. Roast at 300 degrees for 10 minutes or until slightly golden in color. Allow to cool.

3. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

4. Allow all batter ingredients to come to room temp. Mix by hand or in mixer until smooth - a few lumps are okay. Set aside.

5. In a food processor, coarsely grind roasted nuts. Add the rest of crust ingredients and pulse in the food processor. Crust should resemble the consistency of graham cracker crust. Press crust in pan and bake for 7 minutes.

6. Pour batter into baked crust. Set baking pan in a bowl with a little bit of water and place on a baking sheet to ensure cake bakes evenly.

7. Bake until top is set and lightly colored, approximately 30 - 35 minutes for large pan, 20 - 25 minutes for small pans.

Lemon Curd:

5 egg yolks

½ cup confectioners sugar

1/4 cup fresh lemon juice

2 oz sweet butter

1 tbsp cold water

Raspberry Port Syrup

1 cup of Raspberry port

*Note: I substituted Smucker's raspberry syrup (used for pancakes) and just microwaved it. It worked great!!

Directions:

1. Whisk together egg yolks, sugar, and lemon juice over double boiler until thick and slightly glossy.

2. Take off heat and whisk in butter and water. Set aside to cool.

3. Pour port into a saucepan over medium heat until glossy and reduced to about 1/4 cup, approximately 45 minutes.

4. Serve each slice of cheesecake with a dollop of lemon curd and a drizzle of raspberry syrup.

ENJOY!!

lonewolf Collaborator
anyone have a good roll recipe? that was my other holiday fave, and i want to make the whole meal gluten-free but husband wants some GOOD rolls....

Make up a batch of gluten-free Pantry Country French Bread in muffin tins - it will make 2 dozen. Time them so they come out of the oven just as you're sitting down to eat. Everyone will love them.

good call! i like the muffin tin idea...i might just have to bake a pre-thanksgiving batch this week and :D:D:D "test them out" :D:D:D

Guest nini

for rolls I like 123 Gluten Free's Aaron's rolls, they are made with Montina flour and are really yummy, whole family likes them and didn't know they were gluten-free until they saw me eating some.

I've also done Pamela's bread mix in muffin tins as well to make a nice dinner roll.

EnerG makes a premade dinner roll that all you have to do is warm in oven (but they are a bit pricey and not as good IMHO)

nini, what is montina flour?

Lisa Mentor

Does anyone have a rice-sausage stuffing recipe, please :)

plantime Contributor

>Saving this thread until I have time to write down all of the recipes<

pinkpei77 Contributor

TWICE BAKED SWEET POTATOES

6 sweet potatos/yams

dried cranberries

butter/margarine(softened)

brown sugar

walnuts

bake the potatos until they are pretty much done.

let them cool until room temp.

cut in half and spoon out most of the insides.

put in a bowl and mash.

add softened butter and brown sugar ( i do this to taste)

add dried cranberries

mix all together.

spoon back into the halved potatoes

top with chopped walnuts

bake again for 45 minutes

YUMMY!

OMG that sweet potato recipe sounds awesome! i've never thought about doing them twice baked! I love regular twice bakes, such an idea!!

happygirl Collaborator

Open Original Shared Link

here is a thread about some stuffings/dressings. I think its important to keep this thread going so people can get good ideas from this thread---it is great :)

liljules5 Rookie

elfkin and happygirl, I made both of your recipes (pumpkin bars and pumpkin cheesecake) last night and they turned out amazing!! thanks for sharing :D

TriticusToxicum Explorer
Does anyone have a rice-sausage stuffing recipe, please :)

This isn't rice, however it is the BEST quinoa recipe i have ever tried! You could probably swap the rice for quinoa if you were so inclined.

Quinoa Stuffing with Smoked Surry Sausage

Chef Ross Martin of Allred’s Restaurant at Telluride Ski Resort – Telluride, CO

Adapted by StarChefs

Yield: 4-6 Servings

Ingredients:

Quinoa:

2 Tablespoons minced onion

2 Tablespoons butter

1 ½ cups quinoa

About 4 cups roasted turkey stock, warmed

Stuffing:

2 cloves garlic

1 large onion, medium dice

2 carrots, medium dice

2 celery stalks, medium dice

2 cups smoked surry sausage, quartered

2 sticks butter

¼ cup dried cranberries

2 granny smith apples, medium dice

3 cups cooked quinoa (recipe follows)

4 cups dried bread, large dice

¼ cup fresh thyme, picked

Method:

For quinoa:

Melt butter in a pot over medium heat. Gently sweat onions until translucent. Add quinoa and toast slightly for about a minute. Add ½ cup seasoned turkey stock and simmer until quinoa absorbs the liquid. Keep adding turkey stock a little at a time until the quinoa grain opens. When it opens, a small tail-like pistol will pop out. It should be tender to the bite. Remove quinoa from pot and cool on sheet tray. Check seasonings and adjust if necessary. If the stock was well seasoned, the quinoa should not need any further seasoning.

For stuffing:

Preheat oven to 375°F. Melt 3 Tablespoons butter in large pot over medium heat. Sweat garlic, onions, carrots, celery and sausage until tender. Season with a pinch of salt. Add remaining butter and melt. Add cranberries, apples, cooked quinoa, bread cubes, and thyme; toss to bind. Add turkey stock to moisten to liking. Transfer to baking dish and bake, uncovered for 45 minutes.

jaten Enthusiast

Yummmy! These sound great....please continue :D

coronalime Rookie

Nutty Rice Stuffing

3/4 cup butter (Gluten-free Casein-free Margerine or oil in our case)

1/2 cup onion, chopped

1/2 cup celery, chopped

1/2 cup fresh, sliced mushrooms

4 cups brown rice, cooked

I cup wild rice, cooked

1/2 tsp. rubbed sage

1/2 tsp. thyme

1/4 tsp. savory

1/2 cup parsley, chopped

1/2 cup pumpkin seeds

1/2 cup slivered almonds

Melt the butter in a frying pan. Add the onion, celery, mushrooms and cook

until tender/crisp (about 5 minutes). Add to the cooked rice and toss to mix.

Add all the seasonings, pumpkin seeds, almonds, salt and pepper to taste.

Makes enough to stuff a 10 to 12 lb. turkey. Or bake in a covered baking dish

at 325 for one hour.

Sweet Potato/Apple Casserole

2 - 3 medium yams and/or sweet potatoes, boiled in jackets till tender, then peeled and cut into 1/4" slices

1/4 cup brown sugar

1/4 tsp salt

1/2 tsp cinnamon

1 cup cranberries

1 large apple (or pear), peeled and thinly sliced

3 TBSP butter

1/4 cup orange juice

1/3 cup walnuts

Preheat oven to 350. Grease a casserole dish with cooking spray or butter, then layer in half the yams/sweet potatoes. Mix brown sugar, salt and cinnamon, and sprinkle yams/sweet potatoes with half of the brown sugar mixture and 1/2 cup of cranberries. Top with a layer of the remaining yams, then a layer of apple, and sprinkle with the remaining brown sugar goodness. Dot with butter and toss on the remaining 1/2 cup cranberries. Pour orange juice over top. Cover and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle with walnuts; bake 5 minutes more.

Green beans w/Almonds (Southern Living)

2 lbs of green beans, trimmed

1/4 cup butter (1/2 stick)

2 Tbsp chopped fresh thyme

1 Tbsp Dijon mustard

1 teaspoon garlic salt

1/3 cup slivered almonds, toasted

Cook green beans in a large pot of boiling salted water (can add a chix/veg broth with only 1/2 the water for xtra flavor) until just crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Using a large diameter strainer, transfer beans to a large bowl of ice water, cool completely. Drain well. (At this point you can make the beans a day ahead, store in refrigerator.) Alternatively you can steam the beans for 5 minutes and proceed directly to the skillet.

Melt 1/4 cup of butter in a heavy large skillet over medium hight heat. Whisk in 1 Tbsp of fresh thyme, 1 Tbsp of mustard and 1 teaspoon of garlic salt into butter. Add beans to skillet and toss until heated through, about 4 minutes. Transfer to searving bowl. Sprinkle with toasted almonds and remaining 1 Tbsp of thyme

Rachel Ray Chunky "Smashed" Potatoes

2-3 lb bag Red Potatoes, cut in chunks (can leave peel on if wish)

Boil about 15 mins (until tender..this usually takes me longer then 15 mins)

Drain and put back in pot, Add cream cheese, diced green onions, sour cream, milk, shredded cheese all to desired tastings, Mix and smash it up to your consistency..I like it really chunky

Archived