This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

A Days Menu....

XoHeatherxO

XoHeatherxO Rookie

I am having trouble with variety in my meals and I thought it would be interesting to see what everyone else eats on an average day....just post what you eat normally meals and snacks....I tend not to eat much at all because I am bored of the foods I do eat....For example

I don't usually eat breakfast but I might have a rice cake

then for lunch a salad or corn tortilla with cheese

For dinner I have either a baked potatoe and salad or rice, or rice pasta if I am cooking

occasionally I have chips or nachos for a snack!

IM SO BORED OF THIS STUFF!!! and I'm anxious to hear what everyone else eats

I also take 3 multivitamins per day and L-glutamine twice a day in water....

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

joyce Rookie

Yes, I at times get bored with the same stuff too.

Anyway for breakfast I usually eat 1 egg with a piece of almond rice bread and strawberry jelly or

turkey sausage with a grapefruit or

maybe some hot cream of rice cereal with sliced almonds and brown sugar Yum!

Lunch: String cheese and apple or

Hardees Low carb burger (if i'm working)

or corn tortilla with string cheese, tomatoes ,and maybe left over chicken breast or something in it warmed up and melted

Tuna fish with mayo celery relish and grapes (sounds weird but taste good_ try it

You could put it on a bed of lettuce

Dinner: Don't know if you are a vegetarian or not but we usually have

somekind of meat broiled with a steamed veg or a salad

Home made Tostada's -refryed beans (VEGE) tomatoe lettuce cheese salsa olives

Lasagne with rice noodles Vege or with meat

HAmburgers with all the works wrapped in romaine lettuce as the bun french fries

Snacks;

I like the carmel corn rice cakes from Quaker with peanut butter on it

Root beer float with A&W diet and Bryer Natural vanilla ice cream

fruit with cheese

M&m's peanuts

I have a very good lentil soup and corn bread recipe if your into cooking although it's not soup weather yet

Hope this help

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

Breakfast- Bannana or Apple or bagel but if I am doing a breakfast/lunch I'll have both fruits or an egg on english muffin with lettuce and all that jazz.

Lunch/dinner- My kick this month is rice noodles with Alfrado sauce and 1/2 a baguette. Salad. Bagles for dinner are always yummie. Egg sandwiches or egg in a salad. Hashbrowns.

Snacks- Friench Fries, Salads, Cinnamon buns, jam toast, Skinny corn chimps, M+Ms, apples.

Hmmm, I know I eat other things. . ..

rattaway Newbie

I am not a big breakfast kind of person either. For lunch I eat pizza, tacos, bunless cheeseburgers, chef salad w/ lots of dressing, of course these are not all at once but one item on one day :D . For dinner, I make New England Clam Chowder, Shrimp Alfredo, Beef fajitas, tumbleweed sandwiches, reubens, chicken nuggets, pizza, Thai kitchen meals, grilled chicken w/ soy sauce (of course all items are gluten-free). We eat lots of yummy stuff. I have really learned how to cook since discovering we are all gluten-free. For a snack, I will eat string cheese, trail mix, cheese and mayo on crackers, pretzels, whatever sounds good. I don't stress too much about the carbs b/c my daughters keep me so busy. I hope the list helps.

Rian

Alexolua Explorer

I'll throw in my two cents, though still learning the diet myself.

Breakfast, I'll usually have; a banana or an apple and a gluten free snack, like a cookie. Some days we have pine apple, or watermellon, so would have those instead of the banana or apple.

Dinner.. (who needs lunch!)

Do you like turkey? Get it ground up!! You can make a burger out of it, mash in some garlic salt, adds flavor.

Or take the turkey, break it up into pieces (not too hard) and fry that up in a frying pan with some onions and peppers (green or red), might need some oil or something to keep it all from sticking to the pan's bottom. Add whatever seasonings you'd like too.

You could also do that, but with Hamburger.. and then add some ketchup or tomato sauce. Whatever you'd like!

Oh yeah.. you get to that with chicken too (just bake it, then cut it up)!

Also have whatever veggie we have around.

Snacks, are gluten-free goods.. like a Foods by George Brownie, those are yummy! Also snack on skittles and starburst.. don't seem to bother me.

Hope that helps some. =)

tarnalberry Community Regular

Breakfast:

• Smoothie (homemade, soymilk and fruit)
  • gluten-free cold cereal (like Nutty Rice or Erowen Crispy Rice)
  • gluten-free Hot Cereal (like quinoa flakes or cream of rice or cream of buckwheat)
  • gluten-free pancakes (homemade, not frozen)
  • plain yogurt and fruit

Lunch:

• canned tuna (with apples, or yogurt, or celery seed, or onion, or tomato, or some combination)
  • rice cakes with peanut butter (and/or jam)
  • lunch meat, cheese, and fruit
  • bean salad
  • dinner leftovers
  • green salads
  • veggies with homemade hummus

Dinner:

• bbq'ed chicken/steak/pork/fish (with spices, of course)
  • rice (plain white or brown, or made with stock or boullion)
  • homemade chili
  • homemade pasta sauce with ground turkey (over rice or pasta)
  • homemade pasta sauce with lots of veggies (over pasta)
  • chicken/beef/fish and veggie stir fries (served over rice)
  • potatoes (mashed w/ milk, rosemary and olive oil and baked, etc.)
  • sweet potatoes (baked or cut into strips, spices, and baked)
  • corn - if you eat it, I don't, in all sorts of things
  • bean salads
  • green salads
  • chicken salads
  • millet (in place of couscous, for example)
  • stuffed veggies (like bell peppers, tomatoes, etc.)
  • homemade baked beans
  • sautee'd vegetables
  • steamed spinach w/ butter

Dessert:

• mostly just fruit for me
  • sorbet
  • homemade cookies

Alexolua Explorer

tarnalberry -> Can I come live with you? =D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Canadian Karen Community Regular

Can I come to? Your house sounds delicious!!!!

Karen

Aww... thanks guys.

This is why I don't think that eating gluten-free is very hard. ;-) Really, it's all practice, creativity, and experimenting. But you have to already like cooking to be happy to dive in to that. (I'll admit to being a California snob too... I think our year-round, fabulous quality of produce helps... All the other states I've visited so far aren't _quite_ the same. ;-) Though if I lived in those places, I'd probably learn that my current assumption is wrong. ;-) )

ryebaby0 Enthusiast

Keeping in mind that we're a multiple allergy household (so like Tiffany, we cook a LOT of stuff ourselves) and that I have two children who are trying to gain weight

Breakfast: Bacon, sweet potato english muffin (1/3 sliced horizontally), cinnamon toast, Hain's frozen waffles or homemade pancakes (freeze them between waxed paper and nuke), lots of fruit (whatever is in season). a smoothie of soy milk, frozen banana chunks and oj, blueberry scones

Lunch: pizza (sweet potato english muffin, Contadina pizza squeeze and a slice of mozzarella on top -- takes about 15 seconds to broil and you're done), rolled up bologna and cheese (UGH! I'm glad it's them!), pasta and veggies, chicken and rice, spring rolls with whatever I feel like filling them with , quesadillas, fruit, fruit, fruit

Supper: usually just a small serving of meat, pile of veggies drowned in olive oil (see above!), mashed potatoes, or baked, or oven baked sweet potato "fries", hash browns, pizza, shepherd's pie, stuffed pork chops with cranberry sauce, ummm...chicken.

Snacks? Digestive biscuits, quinoa qrunchies, apples, carrots, chocolate rice cakes, mandarin oranges, grapes, blueberry anything, strawberries (even frozen ones) on Cool whip, and our new hit food: Miss Roben's donut hole mix. My kid was eating them like nothing I've ever seen before.....

Joanna

rattaway Newbie

Hey Joanna. Donut Hole mix? Please share info. :lol: I was addicted to those before going gluten-free. I would do just about anything for gluten-free donut holes.

Thanks, Rian

pamelaD Apprentice

This is a great thread- lots of good ideas

for me:

breakfast= cream of rice cereal or fresh fruit

lunch= usually soup: imagine cream of corn or a Thai Kithcen rice noodle soup with veggies on the side and some gluten-free crackers

snacks= hersheys kisses, envirokidz bars, rice or soy crackers

dinner= usually a big salad with lots of fresh veggies, a little protein on the side (chicken breast, fish, lowfat cheese); pad thai; sushi takeout

dessert= homemade gluten-free banana bread, frozen yogurt (haagen dasz vanilla), sorbet, mini peanut butter cups

Pam

terri Contributor

Hi Guys,

For breakfast I take 1/4 cup of eggbeaters and add a little chopped onion and hot pepper to it and nuke it for 30 seconds, stir and 25 seconds more. I heat a corn tortilla and put the eggs in there with maybe a little shredded cheese. I also have a piece of bacon. Total calories about 105. I make a big fruit salad every week and nibble on a little of it in the morning as well.

Then for lunch I take a rice cake ( Lundberg as it is denser and has 70 calories to the regular 35) and cover it with whipped cream cheese (Trader Joe's light is gluten-free) or mayo and then add whatever meat and a slice of tomato and cover it with Cabot cheese. I nuke it to melt the cheese and also have cottage cheese with raisins in it. Then I'll have fruit a few hours later.

When I get home from work I have a 35 calorie rice cake with cream cheese and salsa for a snack, and some pistachios and 3 brazil nuts.

For dinner we have meat and veggies, sometimes rice, or quesidillas or stuffed shells, or meatloaf or basically almost anything I used to cook before gluten. I have managed to keep my weight stable after losing almost 30 pounds before going gluten free. Lunch is the hardest meal, although salad and dinner leftovers work well. For dessert I have the flourless peanut butter cookies and jelly bellies.

I get Allrecipes sent to my email everyday and get a lot of ideas from that too.

Plus, I really enjoy cooking. Don't have much of an alternative anymore so might as well make it fun and make the best out of it. :)

Alexolua Explorer

terri -> What brand of corn tortilla do you use? I'm having trouble finding some that are gluten-free.. though I have the added bonus of having to aviod dairy too.. so dunno if what you get would work for me anyway.

Reading what y'all eat though, really makes me wish I didn't have any problems with casein! lol

stargirl Apprentice

Food Is Yummy! When I'm being good I avoid milk products but all of these below are definitely gluten-free.

Breakfast:

- Puffins Cereal

- Arrowhead Mills Sweetened Rice Flakes

- General Mills Kix Cereal

- Erewhon Crispy Brown Rice

- Nature's Path Organic Corn Flakes

- Health Valley Corn Crunch-Ems

- Jennie-O Chicken Breakast Sausage (really yummy if not avoiding meat)

- Eggs

- Homemade Pancakes

- Homemade Bread (Gluten Free Pantry Sandwich bread mix)

- Fruit Smoothies (using yogurt or juice)

- Trader Joe's Frozen Waffles (best frozen waffles)

- Van's Frozen Waffles

- Fresh Fruit

Lunch:

- Vlasic Pickles

- Sandwhich bread mix again

- Kirkland Signature Extra Lean Ham

- Oscar Mayer Beef Bologna

- Mission Yellow Corn Tortillas

- Smuckers Jam

- Albertson's Peanut butter

- Jiff Peanut butter

Dinner:

- Mayacamas Alfredo Pasta Sauce Mix

- Tinkyada Rice Pasta

- Bionaturae Penne Rigate Pasta

- Ragu Spaghetti Sauce

- Amy's Shepherd's Pie (gluten and diary free made in 7 minutes)

- Amy's Cheese Enchilada

Snack Attack:

- Rice cakes

- Avo-King Guacamole

- Tositos Chips

- Envirokidz Organic Crispy Rice Bar (kind of like granola, in peanut butter, chocolate, and berry)

- Blue Diamond Nut Thins

- and always more fruit

If you're interested I can post a list of foods I know are gluten free from Albertsons. We have a pre-made shopping list.

Thomas Apprentice

Thanks!

stargirl Apprentice

The list is available at the following site using a web browser:

Open Original Shared Link

Or the list is available in a Word Document:

Open Original Shared Link

If you can't figure out what this is saying feel free to email me at: laura@bridgeclothing.com

WARNING as of Aug 16 we believe everything on this list to be gluten free but please be sure to read the labels first just in case, since manufacturers do change ingredients. This list is also not lactose free.

flagbabyds Collaborator

OK, this might be a long post :P

Breakfast-

Homemade gluten-free bread, toasted with Earth Balance and Apricot jam(2 pieces)

Sometimes gluten-free Kashi Cranberry Sunshine cereal

Turkey Bacon

Quaker Instant Grits

Instant Oatmeal

Lotsa fruit!

Omlette with cheese and tomatos, muchrooms, bacon and spinach

Smoothies

FlaxJacks

Lunch-

Genisoy bars

Enviro Kids bars

ORganic food bars

blue doritos

rice cakes and peanut butter

oranges

apples and string cheese

Amy's instant meals

Bacon, Turkey, Cheese, Ham sandwich on gluten-free Toasted bread

Quesedillas

Corn tortillas

Brown Rice Snaps

Individual packets of Chocolate O's

Deli slices

Nachos

Dinner-

Pasta with garlic infused oil and tomatoes

Turkey burgers

sloppy joes

grilled chicken

frozen french fries from trader joes

Amy's Macaroni and cheese baked and then sprinkled with gluten-free bread crumbs and broiled for the last couple of minutes

grilled veggies with gluten-free coy sauce

mashed potatoes

soft tacos

tortillas with beans

homemade refried beans

salmon with mustard sauce

Salad with almonds and peppers, red onion, cheese, and balsamic vinegrette dressing

homemade pizza crust with cheese, sundried tomatoes, and real tomatoes instead of pizza sauce

Snacks-

Cinnamon almonds!

gluten-free energy Bars

Rice Cakes and peanut butter

I'll think of more while I'm watching the Olympics

stargirl Apprentice

Are you sure that your instant oatmeal and instant grits are gluten free? I know that oats are considered a questionable food for celiacs. Some people can tolerate them and some people can't and they have to be really pure. It's all the processing that makes them dangerous to us, not to mention that oats often are grown near wheat and processed in the same area as wheat. Just thought I would throw out a heads up.

terri Contributor

Alexolua, I use Mission Corn tortillas. They are gluten free and are most likely processed on dedicated lines. Any others I've tried I have had a reaction to but Mission has a gluten free statement, etc. on their website. They are best heated for about 10 seconds each side on an ungreased skillet over medium high heat but being lazy, I just nuke them.

Guest rosei

Thanks for the Albertsons gluten-free food list & all the good ideas here! I'm on a tight grocery budget, & just starting to go gluten-free. I'm having trouble figuring out if & how to shop for the kids seperately, without tempting myself or limiting them too much. If anyone shops at a Grocery Outlet discount foods store, & knows of gluten-free products there, please let me know too. The health food stores are great but so expensive. Is there any lists & info on foods to AVOID with hidden ingredients, & info on preservatives? Like I don't know what maltodextrin (?) is, or whey, or glucosomine(?), etc. & what I need to know about cooking oils, & the less obvious foods. I've been looking forward to my last medical testing day so I can start gluten-free, & now I'm seeing it may be harder than I thought, since I have to feed a family too. But the great attitudes I see here are really helpful! Thanks much, ...Rose

Guest barbara3675

Go to www.napervillegi.com and print out their list of gluten free foods that you can buy at the store. It is 49 pages long. I just started eating gluten free, but my granddaughter has had celiac disease since she was one year old. She is six now and the healthiest little gal you ever did see. You need Acrobat Reader on your computer to print this list, but that can be had by going to acrobatreader.com and installing it. WELL WORTH THE TIME IT TAKES. When you have this list you can take it to the store and buy tons of stuff to make meals that will be like what you are used to having. Happy eating. Barbara

celiac3270 Collaborator

Breakfast

• Eggs
  • Pancakes (Pamela's Products Pancake and Baking Mix)
  • Yogurt (Yoplait: custard style)
  • English Muffins (Food By George)
  • gluten-free Bagels
  • Food By George Corn Muffins
  • Food By George Blueberry Muffins
  • gluten-free Waffles
  • gluten-free Cereal (Envirokids has a kind that tastes like frosted flakes and some other brand has cornflakes.

Lunch

• Macaroni and Cheese (Tinkyada noodles with Kraft cheese packet)
  • Spaghetti (Tinkyada noodles, Classico spaghetti sauce)
  • Hot Dogs (Oscar Meyer)
  • Ore Ida French Fries
  • gluten-free Chicken Nuggets (real chicken with Ener-G bread crumbs)
  • Grilled Cheese (gluten-free bread, kraft cheese)

Dinner

• Hamburgers
  • Potatoes
  • Rice
  • Pasta
  • Veggies........I don't think I need to name the specifics
  • Lasagna
  • Meatloaf
  • Steak
  • Pork
  • Chicken, etc..........meats
  • Pizza (Chebe crust, classico tomato sauce, kraft cheeses)
  • Tacos
  • Fish

Snacks

• Fresh Fruit (oranges, apples, bananas, pears, peaches, strawberries, etc.)
  • Canned Fruit (mandarin oranges, peaches, pineapple)
  • Genisoy Bars (southern style pb kind and honey pb kind are gluten-free....no others)
  • Arrowhead Mills Wheat Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Mix (AMAZING!)
  • Pamela's Cookies (dark chocolate chocolate chunk kind are great)
  • Raisins
  • Nuts
  • Edward and Sons Brown Rice Snaps (round crackers -- great with PB on them)
  • Peanut Butter (a spoonful :-) ) Skippy, Jif, Reese's are fine
  • FritoLays Chips (Lays, Fritos, Cheetos, etc.)
  • Yogurt
  • Quaker Rice Cakes
  • Apple Sauce
  • Duncan Hines Icing (cream cheese) lol......from the tub...only every now and then, though.....everything in moderation
  • Kraft Marshmallows (occasionally)
  • Peanut Butter Cookies
  • Food By George Brownies
  • Haagen-Dazs Ice Cream (vanilla, chocolate, strawberry)....more of a dessert, but I put it under snack, anyway.

I can't remember everything......this is just what I can think of off the top of my head.

-celiac3270

Thomas Apprentice

Thanks

The trick with a tight budget and gluten-free is to stick with naturally gluten free foods.

While tahini can be expensive, you can stretch is twice as far as recipes usually call for in hummus (and garbanzo beans, olive oil, and garlic are cheap), and it will provide a decent source of protein and a good source of fat to go along with carrots (in a 5lb bag when on sale), and just about any other raw veggie. Bean dips made from pinto and/or kidney and/or black beans and garlic can be even cheaper since you don't need fancy ingredients.

Buying fruits and vegetables that are in season AND very versatile is particularly useful. Zucchini may not be all that exciting on it's own, but it works great chopped in pasta sauces (to bulk them up), shredded in bean salads (again, a very cheap way to get a good amount of calories - and even better with avocados when they're on sale), or sauteed in a bit of honey and mustard. Carrots can serve multi-duty shredded in salads and sauces, or used with rice to stuff tomatoes and peppers. Sometimes, it pays to investigate some of the rarer vegetables as well. Sweet potatoes may not be a staple for you, but if they go on sale, you'll get significantly more nutritional bang for you buck with those over white potatoes. Cauliflower can also be a very versatile vegetable and can be used raw by itself or in salads (mmm... more beans!), mashed into something like potatoes, and sauteed with curry powder and potatoes. But making sure the items are very versatile means that you can safely by plenty and use it over and over throughout the week.

When you start talking about meat, I think that's when it gets even more important to practice those "single pan" type dishes - pasta sauce that has some ground meat, but also plenty of vegetables to get it bulked up and make it filling. (Adding olive oil helps to make it more filling as well.) Or making chili (there's those beans again!) with some meat, but not too much. (Actually, chili can be a very cheap, very filling dish. With a two large cans of stewed tomatoes, one can of diced tomatoes, one can of tomato paste, half a pound of ground beef, one can kidney beans, one can black beans, one onion, half a bulb of garlic, and miscellaneous spices (particularly chili powder, pepper, sage, and a touch of cumin), you're looking at (CA prices here...) $8-9 for a output of chili that will easily serve five hungry people. Serve it over rice, and you'll feed eight for another buck!)

Stir fries served over rice or rice noodles (thai noodles will be much cheaper than specialty gluten-free noodles) is also a good way to minimize your meat, by using just a little bit in combination with a lot of the cheaper vegetables. And stir fries and sautees can be made from almost anything meat and vegetable wise, and all sorts of varieties of spices. In fact, with this sort of dish, the spices can end up being the most expensive item, but you can get those on sale, and make plenty of use of aromatics (like onions, garlic, ginger and chiles).

Archived