This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Argh... Stupid Toothpaste "glutened" Me!

tarnalberry

tarnalberry Community Regular

So I went to the dentist on Monday to check into my teeth being a bit sensitive. (I've always had pretty good teeth, despite not flossing like I should. I've got a whopping two small fillings.) Nothing particularly was wrong, just generally sensitive teeth, so the dentist suggested getting some sensitive-tooth toothpaste and a fluoride rinse. No problem; I checked the ingredients on the Sensodyne toothpaste and the ACT rinse, both looking fine.

Turns out Sensodyne "may contain traces of gluten", and I've had intestinal complaints since last night. (I never do get bad symptoms, mostly just smelly gas this time. Joy.) And today feel cranky and tired and unable to concentrate on anything. (Fairly typical symptoms for me.) I thought it might have been the milk in the omlette I had last night, but ... meh... I just don't know.

So now I'm just going to suck it up and do an elimination diet. It's going to take a while, given how many foods I want to check on, but I'm tired of guessing. Knowing my luck, there will be a bit of guessing afterwards! (I'm not going to bother with going the medical testing route. I've already had allergy tests, and they didn't show anything, so this is more an intolerance issue.)

• 3 weeks later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

hthorvald Rookie

Do you know if Colgate is gluten free? I've read the package and I think they're fine, but since you have experience with this, I thought I'd ask.

Racheleona Apprentice

Do you guys know if Jason's all natural toothpaste is gluten free?

lovegrov Collaborator

Sensodyne is most definitely not considered gluten-free. In fact, it's the only toothpaste I know of that has or probably has gluten.

richard

burdee Enthusiast

I also got continually zapped by Sensodyne (recommended by my dentist for enamel erosion sensitivity probably influenced by celiac disease) while I was trying to avoid all gluten for several months. I had used Sensodyne for many years previously. :o I think both Colgate and Crest both have gluten-free varieties, but I couldn't find a combo whitener and sensitive variety in those brands. I ended up getting Tom's of Maine, because their label includes, defines and lists the source for EVERY ingredient in all their toothpastes. Although I purchased and used a separate sensitive toothpaste and a whitener in that brand, I observed I need the sensitive toothpaste less and less the longer I am gluten-free. Another great benefit of going gluten-free! :D

BURDEE

Colgate makes a whitener/sensitivity toothpaste, but as whiteners can INCREASE sensitivity, I had to look hard for one that did NOT contain whiteners. Crest makes one.

• 2 weeks later...
coin-op Newbie

Don't do toothpaste :) just floss everyday

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Not really an option, coin-op. It definitely doesn't clean as well, across the whole surface of your teeth. (My diet is more varied than yours, so that may be one reason it works well for you.) Besides that, my molars naturally have very deep ridges - an area that flossing cannot get to. If I didn't brush, I would quickly have cavities in those areas, and I've already had two cavities in my life - don't want any more.

burdee Enthusiast

Now I remember why I didn't consider Colgate or Crest, even though both are gluten-free/cf. Both contain sorbitol in their ingredients. For me (and many others) sorbitol causes cramping, bloating, gas and diarrhea, similar to celiac disease symptoms. Tom's of Maine toothpaste did not contain sorbitol. ;)

BURDEE

jendenise Rookie

Um, is sorbitol something those with celiac disease should avoid, or just another thing that anyone could be allergic to? What exactly is sorbitol? I had no idea about it if I should be avoiding it. I use crest w/ cavity protection and a RX flouride paste. I don't have any cavities or any sensitivity, and before I was diagnosed w/ celiac disease I used to eat ice constantly w/o any ill effects on my teeth, according to one of my md's it was because of how severly anemic I was. I definitely don't crave ice like I used to, but still chomp it occasionally and it doesn't bother me. My enamel on my teeth is ok too. But I'm not totally symptom free. I throw up a lot and am naseaus almost every day. If it's because of sorbitol I'm throwing out the toothpaste tonight and going shopping!

burdee Enthusiast

Sorbitol is an artificial sweetener used in many sugar free foods and other products. As such, it's indigestible (hence calorie free), but also causes 'IBS' symptoms (gas, pain, bloating and diarrhea) for many people who consume products containing sorbitol. I first discovered sorbitol problems (cramping pain, bloating and diarrhea) many years ago when I regularly chewed sugar free (sorbitol sweetened) gum. I'm so sensitive that even the slightest bit of sorbitol causes pain and bloating for me. I'm not sure this sensitivity is celiac disease related, since I have heard from MANY people who are sensitive to sorbitol and similar artificial sweeteners (like mannitol). Aspartame and Saccharine do not give me side effects, although other people claim headaches from aspartame.

BURDEE

lovegrov Collaborator

Sorbitol is definitely gluten-free and I've never seen any indication people with celiac are more sensitive to it. It does nothing to me. But if it bothers you you certainly need anything else giving you bowel problems.

richard

jendenise Rookie

That's a relief, I kinda like knowing I have some normal stuff. All this gluten-free stuff gets EXPENSIVE! So knowing I don't have to switch dental products is nice.

FreyaUSA Contributor

Jendenise, my daughter (age 6) who has been gluten free for the last couple months used to eat ice all the time, too! I never put this together, but since she's been on this diet, she's stopped. How interesting! :)

On to sorbitol. Sorbitol is a sugar alcohol (which has nothing to do with alcohol, it's a polyol <_< ) but these sweeteners cause MANY people great distress. I frequent a diet board and the numbers that have gastric complaints do to these sugar alcohols is amazing. You can buy candies (russell stover, reeses, etc.) that contain sugar alcohols and pretty much everyone who eats more than a couple have problems (from "just" cramping to all night bathroom marathons.) Jendenise, you may be sensitive to these ingredients. Imo, it wouldn't be farfetched at all. (And, just so you know, Tom's is not more expensive than the others. Thank goodness.)

jendenise Rookie

According to my hematologist the ice obsession comes from being anemic. I guess when you become too anemic your body begins craving ice, and if you aren't able to eat ice you may also start to crave dirt! I couldn't believe it when he explained it to me, I'd never thought being anemic would make me crave ice and never thought about dirt. I've craved ice for years, sometimes all I'd eat was ice as a substitute for meals for days! When I was really little my mom said I ate dirt constantly. I was only diagnosed 2 years ago though, and now I almost never eat ice. (except for today, but that's 'cause I'm bored I think...)

• 2 weeks later...
bunniegirrl Rookie

hi, i'm new to all of this, and I don't understand why toothpaste matters. As long as you don't swallow any it should be fine shouldn't it? Is there something I'm missing?

:unsure:

It's going into your mouth. Chances are, some of it will be dissolved in the saliva and make it to the digestive tract. If you can taste the mint (or other flavor) in the toothpaste after you've brushed, that's a decent sign. The "rule" is generally anything that goes in the mouth (including licking envelopes) is _definitely_ out.

lovegrov Collaborator

I know of only one toothpaste with gluten so this isn't really much of a concern, but when you brush your teeth and rinse your mouth you always end up swallowing a little whether you know it or not. And once you've rinsed your mouth exactly how can you be sure you got every speck of that residue out of your mouth? It's just not a good idea to put anything containing gluten in your mouth. There are so many toothpastes without gluten why take the chance?

richard

darlindeb25 Collaborator
:o wow--i know i am a little behind in here, but jendenise--my sister and i are both celiacs--i was just reading your email about craving ice and even dirt--this brought back memories--years ago when my sis and i were young :P anyways--my mom caught her eating dirt, repeatedly and i remember her taking judy to the doctor and she was given this special stuff she had to drink everyday--we called it bug juice--WOW, i had never heard the craving dirt--thank god i only craved ice and did i ever need ice--my sis and i used to buy ice and always had a glass full--i was told craving ice is a vitamin defency--memories, i bet she was celiac way back then--wow
  • 5 years later...
HyperGirl Newbie

Apparently soribtol can be grain derived but some toothpastes that have sorbitol have sorbitol that was corn derived.

I'm in the UK and I use Aquafresh Fresh & Minty. I've gotten into bad habits and don't brush my teeth nearly as often as I should! But when I do brush them, it sometimes hurts on the inside of my lip, where you'd get mouth ulcers! And sometimes toothpaste does seem to have caused ulcers. Maybe it's because I sometimes don't brush but I'm always careful/gentle...but now it's like I have to pull my bottom lip out the way so it doesn't hurt/sting when I brush! :o

Is this something sorbitol can do? Apparently Aquafresh is gluten-free, anyone know any more on this? Or if their sorbitol is corn/grain derived?

I'm still in the process of getting diagnosed so I'm wondering if I've just found another piece of "evidence" :P

Ooh and something else - Listerine mouth wash (the green one) makes my mouth sting/tingle, within a few seconds my mouth is in pain! It doesn't seem to cause ulcers or any other symptoms though...so maybe that is just normal with some mouth washes and I'm being fussy...hmm =\

MaryJones2 Enthusiast

I'm not sure about the UK but gluten in toothpaste is not an issue in the US. This thread is 6 years old and I think there was a lot of discussion about Sensodyne toothpaste back when this thread originated - I'm not sure if it was every concretely proven to contain gluten.

Celiacs have loads of dental problems so it could just be your mouth adjusting to your dietary changes.

Whether it did or not at the time, Sensodyne has since then said that their toothpaste *is* gluten free. Old threads on gluten-free status are definitely not trustworthy.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Apparently soribtol can be grain derived but some toothpastes that have sorbitol have sorbitol that was corn derived.

I'm in the UK and I use Aquafresh Fresh & Minty. I've gotten into bad habits and don't brush my teeth nearly as often as I should! But when I do brush them, it sometimes hurts on the inside of my lip, where you'd get mouth ulcers! And sometimes toothpaste does seem to have caused ulcers. Maybe it's because I sometimes don't brush but I'm always careful/gentle...but now it's like I have to pull my bottom lip out the way so it doesn't hurt/sting when I brush! :o

Is this something sorbitol can do? Apparently Aquafresh is gluten-free, anyone know any more on this? Or if their sorbitol is corn/grain derived?

I'm still in the process of getting diagnosed so I'm wondering if I've just found another piece of "evidence" :P

Ooh and something else - Listerine mouth wash (the green one) makes my mouth sting/tingle, within a few seconds my mouth is in pain! It doesn't seem to cause ulcers or any other symptoms though...so maybe that is just normal with some mouth washes and I'm being fussy...hmm =\

Have you tried changing toothpastes? It may not be a gluten issue but a sensitivity to some other ingredient. If you can't find a toothpaste that doesn't bother your mouth baking soda works well. I can't use a mouthwash that contains any alcohol. I use Act mouthwash in the no alcohol formula. That doesn't sting my mouth like listerine or other alcohol based ones.

HyperGirl Newbie

I wondered if it was alcohol related as the one my mum got has alcohol in. I've heard other "bad" things about alcohol in mouth washes (not sure what exactly though) so it's a shame I wasn't there when she bought it!

I actually need to get some more toothpaste soon so it could be a chance to try a different one. I've looked at some online and a lot of them say they don't intentionally add gluten but they may have traces due to handling etc. Maybe I'll pop into the dentist and ask?

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I wondered if it was alcohol related as the one my mum got has alcohol in. I've heard other "bad" things about alcohol in mouth washes (not sure what exactly though) so it's a shame I wasn't there when she bought it!

I actually need to get some more toothpaste soon so it could be a chance to try a different one. I've looked at some online and a lot of them say they don't intentionally add gluten but they may have traces due to handling etc. Maybe I'll pop into the dentist and ask?

Are you still eating gluten? If you are you may be having a reaction to gluten rather than the toothpaste. Some of us will get mouth ulcers. So it may not be the toothpaste that you are reacting to but instead the toothpaste aggravating the mouth sores.

If you can get Tom's of Maine there that companies toothpaste is gluten-free and they clearly list the sources of every ingredient on the label. Nice for those of us who have other sensitivities.

Archived