This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Onion Rings And Hamburger Buns

Guhlia

Guhlia Rising Star

I made onion rings for the first time tonight. They are completely gluten free and delicious. I used Bette Hagman's pancake recipe to coat the onion rings. Next time I will use less sugar as they turned out slightly sweeter than I had envisioned. Anyway, any gluten free pancake batter would work. I used sweet onions in mine. They were nice and crunchy, while still staying soft inside, just like an onion ring's supposed to be. I deep fried them on the stove on medium heat, flipped them after the bottoms were browned, the drained them on paper towels before serving. Yum! My avatar is a picture of them...

I also made hamburger buns using Bette Hagman's Easy Pizza recipe from her Fast and Healthy cookbook. Instead of forming the dough into a pizza crust, I dropped large spoonfulls into a mammoth muffin tin (made 5 nice sized buns). They were excellent. I brushed the tops with butter before baking and I baked at 425 for about 12-14 minutes. They were fabulous. My family liked them better than any of the other gluten free breads I've made. My daughter (only two years old) ended up eating ONE AND A HALF full sized cheeseburgers she liked the buns so much. I highly recommend trying this. This pizza recipe also makes phenomenal breadsticks. Just mix as directed and then, with heavily greased hands, form breadstick shaped logs and brush with garlic butter, top with basil or parsley, bake at 425 for about 10 minutes. These were the best breadsticks I have ever had, gluten free or not. My family agreed that they were fabulous and FAR better than Chebe.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

Thanks Angie. I'm putting those in my "make these soon" file. It'll have to wait until after Dec. 11. We're going to Disneyland on the 4th! I can hardly wait.

dragonmom Apprentice

I've tried onion rings before and they were a disaster--thanks I love onion rings. :P

Guest nini

I've made onion rings before with one of the gluten-free pancake batters, they were really yummy. Oh and last night I made one of Bette Hagman's pizza crust recipes and it was surprisingly really good.

TinkerbellSwt Collaborator

I have never tried to make my own buns. I have, however, made onion rings. I have a recipe for Japanese Tempura Batter, which I think is very similiar to pancake mix.. My rings looked just like your pic of them

Sweetfudge Community Regular

mmm, good foods! i can't wait to try them both. i don't have anything to make hamburger bun shapes...can I just form the dough into a circular shape and bake it liek that? will it work? i've tried kinnickinnick's buns, and they're okay, kinda grainy and fall apart easily.

Nantzie Collaborator

I make hamburger buns using what's called a "muffin top pan". I use cooking spray, and then just pile the dough in there and spread/push it out to the edges. I got mine at a local cooking store, but here's a link so you can see what type of pan I'm talking about.

Open Original Shared Link

Nancy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mamaw Community Regular

Guhlia

Your onion rings look yummy!!!!I don't have B. Hageman qucik & Easy book.... could you possibly post the recipes here? I think alot of us would love to have your pizza from the book & the pancake recipe.....

oh yes, does anyone have a tasty waffle recipe?

thanks

mamaw

Guhlia Rising Star
mmm, good foods! i can't wait to try them both. i don't have anything to make hamburger bun shapes...can I just form the dough into a circular shape and bake it liek that? will it work? i've tried kinnickinnick's buns, and they're okay, kinda grainy and fall apart easily.

You will need to make rings using aluminum foil. Should be easy enough. The dough is stiff enough that a foil ring should keep it in place while rising. These aren't grainy at all, at least we don't think so. We use Kinnikinnick flours to make them. They definitely don't fall apart easily. They are super good. I'm making more for tonight's dinner.

Mamaw, I will post the recipe as soon as I can. :)

lonewolf Collaborator

Guhlia - you inspired me! I made onion rings tonight using Roben Ryberg's recipe. They turned out great and my kids all loved them. We'll be gong fat free for a few days though, not used to all that grease.

Cheri A Contributor

I have made rings from aluminum foil for buns. They work great!

Guhlia Rising Star

From Bette Hagman's The Gluten Free Gourmet Cooks Fast & Healthy... Easy Pizza recipe...

1-1/2 cups gluten-free flour mix (3/4 cup white rice flour, 1/2 cup potato starch, 1/4 cup tapioca starch)

1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1 teaspoon xantham gum

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon sugar

7/8 cup lukewarm water

1 tablespoon rapid-rising yeast (1 packet)

1 egg or 1/4 cup liquid egg substitute

1 tablespoon vegetable oil

Preheat oven to 425F.

Spray a baking sheet or 15" round pizza pan with vegetable oil spray.

Blend together the flour, baking powder, xantham gum, and salt. Set aside. Add sugar to the water and stir in the yeast. Let bubble slightly.

In a mixing bowl, beat with a hand mixer at low speed the egg, oil, and the yeast water. Beat in half the flour mixture. With a spoon stir in the rest.

Pour the batter onto the prepared baking sheet and spread with a spatula to a 12-1/2" circle with slightly raised edges. Allow to rise about 10 minutes and then spread on the sauce, cheese, and other toppings. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Serves 6.

Okay, now here are MY directions... They're much quicker and easier.

1. Dissolve yeast and sugar in water.

2. Mix all other dry ingredients in mixer until well combined.

3. Add egg and oil to water/yeast combo and mix with fork until egg is mixed in thoroughly.

4. Add wet mix to dry mix slowly while mixer is running and mix for a minute until well combined.

5. Pour dough onto pizza pan and spread out with heavily GREASED hands.

6. Perforate dough surface using a fork.

7. Preheat oven to 425 while dough rises for 10 minutes.

8. Bake crust for 20 minutes.

9. Remove from oven, top with sauce, cheese, and toppings.

10. Bake for another 5-10 minutes until cheese is beginning to brown on edges and melted throughout.

11. Cut and serve.

For hamburger buns, reduce water by one tablespoon. Use muffin tin or roll tin. Roll dough balls that are about 1-1/2" and flatten in greased tin until dough is touching edges on all sides. Cups should be no more than 1/2 full, dough doubles in oven. Do not perforate. Brush tops of rolls lightly with butter or margarine before baking.

This recipe also makes GREAT stuffing!!! Last night I was finally over my cold and decided to tackle my very first Thanksgiving dinner. I managed to make stuffing completely from scratch (bread and all) in about 2 hours. It was the best stuffing I've ever eaten, husband and daughter agreed. I used a mini loaf tray (It has about 12 1" loaves, very cool) and I didn't brush the loaves with butter. These tiny loaves were really easy to cut up into little cubes.

jerseyangel Proficient

Angie,

Your avatars absolutely make my mouth water! I am still planning on trying your donuts--I keep forgetting to buy a thermometer for the oil. :blink:

I think I will try the hamburger rolls, using the GFP bread mix that I normally use. That mix dosen't have any ingredients that I'm sensitive to. I like the idea of making a form out of foil--I'll bet the dough would work fine that way. And onion rings--have *got* to try those!

Anyway, thanks again for all the good ideas :D

Guhlia Rising Star

Patti, if you don't have a candy thermometer, just do the donuts on medium heat (about setting 6) and they should turn out fine. Add the donuts to the oil once water "pops" when it hits the oil, just flick a drop off of your finger.

jerseyangel Proficient
Patti, if you don't have a candy thermometer, just do the donuts on medium heat (about setting 6) and they should turn out fine. Add the donuts to the oil once water "pops" when it hits the oil, just flick a drop off of your finger.

So the temp. dosen't need to be exact?

Guhlia Rising Star

I can't imagine why they wouldn't turn out unless the temperature was WAY off...

mamaw Community Regular

Thanks so much for the recipes!!!!! Everything looks so yummy!!!!!

mamaw

kolka Explorer

Can you post the pancake recipe? Is it rice based or bean based?

• 2 weeks later...
mroper Rookie

You have inspired me to try onion rings again!! I used some pancake mix and some club soda to make the batter....OMG they were so yummy!

Guhlia Rising Star

Melissa, so glad you were able to enjoy onion rings again.. Well worth the work, huh? :)

Kolka, I'm not sure which pancake recipe I used. Use a regular recipe and sub a white rice flour blend for the all-purpose flour: 3 parts white rice, 2 parts potato starch, 1 part tapioca starch... I add 1 tsp xantham gum per 1 to 1-1/2 cups flour. This always works out wonderfully for me. I use Kinnikinnick flours, they seem to be the least grainy in texture.

mroper Rookie

I just used the mix form GFP!

Archived