This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Need Gluten Free No Beans Chili Recipe

Mtndog

Mtndog Collaborator

What would make a good substitute for beans in a meat chili (besides more meat!). I can't eat legumes. :angry:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CarlaB Enthusiast

We live near Cincinnati, and around here the "local" chili (Skyline Chili) has no beans! You can buy it at Kroger (a Cincinnati store) in cans or frozen. You put it over gluten-free spaghetti and top it with finely grated cheddar.

When I eat at the restaurant, I order the baked potato with the chili.

Be careful, the competitor -- Gold Star, is not gluten-free.

For regular chili, I use beans. You could just use cans of whole tomatoes cut up a little and add some macaroni to it -- just leave the beans out.

Mtndog Collaborator

Thanks Carla- I wish we had a Kroger's. I hear everyone talk about them but we don't have them. I guess I could just add more veggies and meat!!!!!!! maybe different kinds of meat....hmmm beef and chicken chili, extra cheese chili, zucchini chili, corn chili. :D

CarlaB Enthusiast
Thanks Carla- I wish we had a Kroger's. I hear everyone talk about them but we don't have them. I guess I could just add more veggies and meat!!!!!!! maybe different kinds of meat....hmmm beef and chicken chili, extra cheese chili, zucchini chili, corn chili. :D

Sounds good to me! I add macaroni or serve it over Fritos to make it go farther with my crowd. Usually we top it off with cheese, too.

peasoup Rookie

I am legume intollerant too but I love my chilli, I make it with beef mince, tinned tomatoes, chilli powder, a bit of paprika and cayenne, then instead of the beans I add chopped mushroom and/or courgette and/or aubergine and/or pepper and almost always throw in a tin of sweetcorn, then I serve it over rice or a jacket potato. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm now I'm hungry..............................

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator
I am legume intollerant too but I love my chilli, I make it with beef mince, tinned tomatoes, chilli powder, a bit of paprika and cayenne, then instead of the beans I add chopped mushroom and/or courgette and/or aubergine and/or pepper and almost always throw in a tin of sweetcorn, then I serve it over rice or a jacket potato. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm now I'm hungry..............................

Here is a homemade recipe for Skyline chili - its close!

Cincinnati Chili Recipe

1 large onion chopped

1 pound extra-lean ground beef

1 clove garlic, minced

1 tablespoon chili powder

1 teaspoon ground allspice

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1 teaspoon ground cumin

1/2 teaspoon red (cayenne) pepper

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 1/2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa or 1/2 ounce grated unsweetened chocolate

1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce

1 tablespoon Lea and Perrins Worcestershire sauce

1 tablespoon cider vinegar

1/2 cup water

1 (16-ounce) package uncooked dried spaghetti pasta

Toppings (see below)

In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, saute onion, ground beef, garlic, and chili powder until ground beef is slightly cooked. Add allspice, cinnamon, cumin, cayene pepper, salt, unsweetened cocoa or chocolate, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, cider vinegar, and water. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, 1 1/2 hours. Remove from heat.

Cook spaghetti according to package directions and transfer onto individual serving plates (small oval plates are traditional).

Ladle chili over spaghetti and serve with toppings of your choice. Oyster crackers are served in a separate container on the side.

Two-Way Chili: Chili served on spaghetti

Three-Way Chili: Additionally topped with shredded Cheddar cheese

Four-Way Chili: Additionally topped with chopped onions

CarlaB Enthusiast

I'm so spoiled living in Cincinnati again!!!! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 1 year later...
dmleshin Newbie

You can order it online too :)

Open Original Shared Link

Now if I could just find gluten-free Oyster Crackers :(

Darn210 Enthusiast

I lived in Cincinnati for awhile . . . There are two kinds of people in Cincinnati . . . those who love Skyline (my husband) and those who don't (me). It is definetly a different kind of chili (note the cinnamon and chocolate in broncobux's recipe).

Darn210 Enthusiast

Found this on allrecipes . . .Chuck's Come On Ice Cream (or Night of the Red Death) Chili . . . (Two-thumbs up for the name, eh? :lol: )

Open Original Shared Link

This is the sort of thing I would try . . . fair amount of work though.

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

Actually, zucchini works VERY well in chili. We use it as a healthy stretcher, it picks up the flavor fantastically. I would saute it til tender first and then use as you would beans, simmering for as long as you like, just like normal. Corn would add to that well.

Takala Enthusiast

Instead of beans, used canned unsweetened pumpkin puree. You would not believe how well this turns out, the pumpkin makes the sauce thick enough that you don't then have to worry about adding other grain thickeners.

A typical batch would have, roughly

ground or cubed meat, 1 to 2 lbs

onion, chopped, big handful, half onion to full small onion

sweet bell pepper, chopped

fresh garlic clove, chopped

above sauteed in olive oil, then add:

a one pound can diced tomatoes, or more depending on taste

a can of tomato sauce or puree

a can of pumpkin, 1 to 2 lb can depending on how much other stuff you used

seasonings:

salt to taste

chile powder to taste, roughly one to two tablespoons

cumin, about a half to full teaspoon

chipotle flavored smoked tabasco sauce, a few drops

optional, for more of a mol

mamatide Enthusiast

I did want to add that the recipe I use for Cinncinati Chili has a square of chocolate (not a whole ounce of baker's chocolate, but like maybe a quarter or a third of a hershey chocolate bar - I'm sure you can find something to do with the rest of the bar ;-) ) in the recipe as well.

The adding of chocolate (not too much - it really has a bearing on the resulting flavour) really smooths out the sauce. When you don't add any beans, you need something to smooth it out and the chocolate really does it.

This is a recipe from a friend of mine - great with corn bread (I posted my recipe for corn bread here somewhere when I was asking for advice on how to substitute the tiny little bit of flour that's in the recipe - it's a great corn bread recipe that has corn cut from corn on a cob and bacon grease in it, so I recommend pairing these recipes for a most excellent meal!)

Enjoy.

It calls for tomato sauce and I've always used canned. You can make (fabulous!) homemade tomato sauce from your fresh tomatoes, though. (I might even try that myself!)

CINCINATTI CHILI

2 lb. hamburger

2 onions, chopped

1 qt. water

16 oz. tomato sauce

1/2 t. allspice

1/4 t. garlic powder

4 T. chili powder

1 t. cumin

1/2 t. red pepper flakes

1/4 t. crushed cloves

1/2 oz. unsweetened chocolate

2 T. vinegar

1 bay leaf

2 t. cinnamon

1 1/2 t. salt

4 drops tobasco sauce

Combine hamburger (do not brown first), onions and water. Simmer together in large soup pot for 30 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and simmer uncovered 2-3 hours.

My favorite way to serve this chili is over cooked spaghetti and sprinkled with cheddar cheese, chopped tomatoes and chopped onions.

It's really important not to brown the ground beef before adding the onions and water to it. It sounds really strange (did to me, at least) but it (and the chocolate!) is what makes the recipe!

Let me know if you try it!

mamatide Enthusiast

HERE'S MY CORN BREAD RECIPE (THE ONE I MENTION ABOVE)

I love this corn bread recipe. It is simply delicious and is great with chili. Now I want to convert it to gluten-free - since it has very little flour I imagine it should be doable. What would you suggest as a substitute for the all-purpose flour?

Fresh Cornbread

yield: 6 servings

5 ears fresh corn (raw)

3 eggs, beaten

3/4 cup milk

1/4 cup plus 1 1/2 tsp. bacon drippings

1 1/2 Tbsp sugar

1 Tbsp baking powder

3/4 tsp. salt

1/2 cup plus 1 Tbsp all-purpose flour

1. Cut corn from cob, scraping cob to remove the pulp

2. Combine corn, eggs, milk, bacon drippings, sugar, baking powder and salt. Stir well. Gradually stir in flour. Heat a well breased 8 inch cast iron skillet in a 400 degree oven until very hot. Pour batter into hot skilet and bake at 425 degrees for 25 minutes or until golden brown.

From www.ichef.com

gluten15 Apprentice

When I was eating chili, beans and potatoes..I would add diced potatoes to my chili. Really bulks it up and makes it taste so good.

Of course every good chili recipe must have cumin..but I am a cumin freak. I would use it in so many things.

When I was eating corn I would also add that and tomatoes when I was eating them.

There are so many wonderful things that can be added. When I was eating mushrooms..those were good too once in awhile.

That's what's so wonderful about it...you can just go crazy with whatever sounds good and what you can eat.

HiDee Rookie

Try adding quinoa or amaranth or any nutritious grain. I had a recipe that called for soaked, whole wheat kernels in the chili and obviously that wouldn't work but I used quinoa and it was great. Extra vegetables and diced canned tomatoes are great too.

lovegrov Collaborator

Chili on pasta!!! Blasphemy.

Anyway, if you go to chilicookoff.com or any similar site about chili cookoffs, they have lots of recipes of winning entries. No beans or pasta allowed.

richard

Archived