This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Krumkake (norwegian Cookies)

Nantzie

Nantzie Collaborator

I've been using Annalise Robert's Flour Mix in a few family cookie recipes with a lot of success. Today I decided to use it in my mom's Krom Kakor recipe, which she got from an elderly neighbor in the 1950's. Mrs. Carlson taught my mom how to bake, and gave her several recipes, which have now become our family's recipes too.

Annalise's Flour Mix, for three cups total mix, is:

Brown rice flour (extra finely ground, made by Authentic Foods) - 2 cups

Potato Starch (not potato flour) - 2/3 cup

Tapioca Flour - 1/3 cup

Krumkake

2 eggs

1/2 cup shortening

pinch salt

1/2 cup cream

1 cup sugar

1 1/2 cups Annalise's Flour Mix

2 tsp almond extract

1 heaping tablespoon cornstarch

Mix it all together, use a krumkake iron to make cookies, and a krumkake cone to shape the cookies.

Here's a link to the iron, cone and pictures of the finished cookie. Open Original Shared Link

I wasn't sure if this was going to work other than as a flat cookie, so I didn't crawl up into the attic to get my krumkake iron and cone. I thinned the batter out with an additional 1/4 cup of cream and made it in a stainless pan kind of like you would a crepe. Then I shaped it around a big handle of a cooking utensil. Not only did the cookies taste great, but they held their shape. They took longer to cool and needed to be cool in order to hold shape, but it actually worked. They've been over there an hour and still are holding shape.

Nancy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kolka Explorer

These look very good for Christmas. Do you stuff them with a cream filling or anything?

Nantzie Collaborator

We didn't, although I know it's traditional to. We always liked the cookies much better than any of the fillings, so we started doing just the cookies.

Nancy

• 2 weeks later...
brendygirl Community Regular

I'm Norwegian and we always sift confectioner's sugar over them.

My favorite Norwegian food is lefse, and I haven't attempted to make it gluten-free yet. Have you?

Oh, and I'd NEVER do it with potato flakes... sacrilege!

Monga Tuk! (Many thanks!)

Nantzie Collaborator

I haven't tried to convert Lefse yet. My mom didn't make it very often when I was growing up because she said it took too long to make it right. But I remember begging her to make them.

:)

Nancy

lonewolf Collaborator

I make Lefse every year. It turns out great! I don't know if it keeps well because my kids love it warm. I've never had a piece last more than 24 hours. My recipe is posted somewhere, but here's another copy.

LEFSE

3 C riced or mashed potatoes

3 C gluten-free flour mix

5 tsp Xanthan gum (you may need even more, depending on your flour mix. If there is xanthan gum already in your mix, then adjust accordingly. This is the key to getting it to work.)

1 tsp salt

1-1/2 Tbs Sugar

1/4 C Butter or margarine

1/4 C Cream, milk or rice milk (I use rice milk and it works fine.)

Mash potatoes, measure 3 C and add butter while potatoes are hot. Mix well. Cool completely, but don't refrigerate.

Sift flour with xanthan gum 3 times.

Add cream or milk to potatoes, stir well and add 2 C of flour with sugar and salt. Mix well with spoon. Add flour a little at a time until dough is firm and smooth. It should be just firm enough to roll out, not too thick. You might have to play around with it, adding 1-2 tsp. more cream or milk and a Tbs of flour at a time until dough seems right. Depending on your flour you might have to add more liquid. Refrigerate for about 30 minutes.Take about a ping-pong ball sized piece and roll out VERY thin on a well-floured board or cloth. I use potato starch or tapioca starch to flour my rolling cloth and rolling pin. Put on a hot (375-400 degrees) UNGREASED griddle (pancake griddle is great) for about 1-1/2 minutes on each side. You don't want it to brown. It takes a while to get the hang of it, but you'll get into a rhythm.

Archived