This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Christmas Cookies

Guhlia

Guhlia Rising Star

Okay guys, I've been making Christmas cookies all afternoon today. Here are the recipes that worked really well with gluten free flours... I used this flour blend: 3 parts white rice, 2 parts potato starch, 1 part tapioca starch... Then I added 1 teaspoon xantham gum per cup of flour blend. I'll be adding more recipes as I make more. For gluten free cookies, they generally require a lightly greased cookie sheet, so disregard all of the ungreased sheets in the directions.

Jam Filled Butter Cookies by: Missy (Allrecipes.com)

INGREDIENTS

* 3/4 cup butter, softened

* 1/2 cup white sugar

* 2 egg yolks

* 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour

* 1/2 cup fruit preserves, any flavor

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).

2. In a medium bowl, cream together the butter, white sugar and egg yolks. Mix in flour a little bit at a time until a soft dough forms. Roll dough into 1 inch balls. If dough is too soft, refrigerate for 15 to 20 minutes. Place balls 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets. Use your finger or an instrument of similar size to make a well in the center of each cookie. Fill the hole with 1/2 teaspoon of preserves.

3. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, until golden brown on the bottom. Remove from cookie sheets to cool on wire racks.

Peanut Butter Cup Cookies by: Nancy (allrecipes.com)

INGREDIENTS

* 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour

* 1/2 teaspoon salt

* 1 teaspoon baking soda

* 1/2 cup butter, softened

* 1/2 cup white sugar

* 1/2 cup peanut butter

* 1/2 cup packed brown sugar

* 1 egg, beaten

* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

* 2 tablespoons milk

* 40 miniature chocolate covered peanut butter cups, unwrapped

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).

2. Sift together the flour, salt and baking soda; set aside.

3. Cream together the butter, sugar, peanut butter and brown sugar until fluffy. Beat in the egg, vanilla and milk. Add the flour mixture; mix well.

4. Shape into 40 balls and place each into an ungreased mini muffin pan.

5. Bake at 375 degrees for about 8 minutes. Remove from oven and immediately press a mini peanut butter cup into each ball. Cool and carefully remove from pan.

I'm currently baking Russian Tea Cakes. If they turn out well I will post the recipe. I think I'm also going to try oatmeal cookies with quinoa flakes as well as coconut cookies.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

Yummy! Thanks for posting those. I'll have to try the jam filled ones. Maybe I can squeeze a batch in the next few days.

Guhlia Rising Star
Yummy! Thanks for posting those. I'll have to try the jam filled ones. Maybe I can squeeze a batch in the next few days.

The jam filled ones are the easiest of the two recipes. It literally took me about 20 minutes total to whip up a batch, including baking time.

Here's another recipe that I thought was pretty good. Please keep in mind that Russian Tea Cakes aren't for everyone. They're kind of odd in flavor and texture. These turned out pretty well, definitely a keeper, but not my absolute favorite. It doesn't say it in the directions, but you will likely want to flatten these slightly before baking. They should be in the shape of a dome, but not a ball. They didn't spread at all in the oven. Also, I used pecans instead of walnuts to richen the flavor a bit.

Russian Tea Cakes I by: Odette (allrecipes.com)

INGREDIENTS

* 1 cup butter

* 6 tablespoons confectioners' sugar

* 2 cups all-purpose flour

* 1 cup chopped walnuts

* 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar for decoration

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

2. In a medium bowl, cream butter and vanilla until smooth. Combine the 6 tablespoons confectioners' sugar and flour; stir into the butter mixture until just blended. Mix in the chopped walnuts. Roll dough into 1 inch balls, and place them 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.

3. Bake for 12 minutes in the preheated oven. When cool, roll in remaining confectioners' sugar. I also like to roll mine in the sugar a second time.

angel-jd1 Community Regular

The picture in your avatar of the cookies looks great. I have made the peanutbutter cups using the wonderful 4 ingredient recipe for pb cookies. Put them in mini muffin cups and baked. Put in a hershey kiss when they came out and they were awesome!!

Okay guys, I've been making Christmas cookies all afternoon today. Here are the recipes that worked really well with gluten free flours... I used this flour blend: 3 parts white rice, 2 parts potato starch, 1 part tapioca starch... Then I added 1 teaspoon xantham gum per cup of flour blend. I'll be adding more recipes as I make more. For gluten free cookies, they generally require a lightly greased cookie sheet, so disregard all of the ungreased sheets in the directions.

I'm currently baking Russian Tea Cakes. If they turn out well I will post the recipe. I think I'm also going to try oatmeal cookies with quinoa flakes as well as coconut cookies.

Felidae Enthusiast

Thanks for the great recipes. I love converting gluten recipes to safe ones. But, it's really nice when someone else (like you) can try them first for me. LOL

Guest AutumnE

YUM! Thanks so much! I cant wait to try them. Im hoping to start some holiday baking tomorrow. The peanut butter and jam butter cookies are on the list.

Guhlia Rising Star

Wow! Here is the most amazing chocolate chip cookie recipe I've ever made, probably the most amazing chocolate chip cookie I've ever tasted, gluten free or otherwise. I used the same flour blend in this recipe as the recipes above. These taste similar to Soft Batch brand cookies and are every bit as soft. An hour later and they're still just as soft as they were when they came out of the oven. Yum!

Be sure to flatten these before baking them or they will turn out more like little cakes rather than cookies.

Award Winning Soft Chocolate Chip Cookies by: Debbi Borsick (allrecipes.com)

INGREDIENTS

* 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour

* 1 teaspoon baking soda

* 1 cup butter, softened

* 3/4 cup packed brown sugar

* 1/4 cup white sugar

* 1 (3.4 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding mix

* 2 eggs

* 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips (I used 1-1/2 cups and they were perfect)

* 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional) (I omitted the nuts to get the Soft Batch consistency)

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Sift together the flour and baking soda, set aside.

2. In a large bowl, cream together the butter, brown sugar, and white sugar. Beat in the instant pudding mix until blended. Stir in the eggs and vanilla. Blend in the flour mixture. Finally, stir in the chocolate chips and nuts. Drop cookies by rounded spoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets.

3. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven. Edges should be golden brown.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

missy'smom Collaborator

What brand of PB Cups and choc. chips do you use?

Felidae Enthusiast
Wow! Here is the most amazing chocolate chip cookie recipe I've ever made, probably the most amazing chocolate chip cookie I've ever tasted, gluten free or otherwise. I used the same flour blend in this recipe as the recipes above. These taste similar to Soft Batch brand cookies and are every bit as soft. An hour later and they're still just as soft as they were when they came out of the oven. Yum!

Be sure to flatten these before baking them or they will turn out more like little cakes rather than cookies.

What brand of instant vanilla pudding mix do you use?

Guhlia Rising Star

I use Great Value brand PB cups and chocolate chips. They label gluten free right on the bag. I used Jell-O brand instant pudding, but I believe GV brand is also gluten free.

Guhlia Rising Star

I am eating a fresh "oatmeal" raisin cookie right now and it is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good... Here's the recipe. I subbed quinoa for oatmeal 1:1 and it worked out really well both in texture and flavor.

Beth's Spicy Oatmeal Cookies by: Beth (allrecipes.com)

INGREDIENTS

* 1/2 cup butter, softened

* 1/2 cup butter flavored shortening

* 1 cup packed light brown sugar

* 1/2 cup white sugar

* 2 eggs

* 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

* 1 teaspoon baking soda

* 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

* 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves

* 1/2 teaspoon salt

* 3 cups rolled oats

* 1 cup raisins

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

2. In a large bowl, cream together the butter, butter flavored shortening, brown sugar, white sugar, eggs, and vanilla until smooth. Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and salt; stir into the sugar mixture. Stir in the oats and raisins. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets.

3. Bake 10 to 12 minutes until light and golden. Do not overbake. Let them cool for 2 minutes before removing from cookie sheets to cool completely. Store in airtight container. Make sure you get some, because they don't last long!

zachsmom Enthusiast

Your gonna laugh ... SO YOU MEAN PEANUT BUTTER CUPS ARE GLUTEN FREE?

Guhlia Rising Star
Your gonna laugh ... SO YOU MEAN PEANUT BUTTER CUPS ARE GLUTEN FREE?

Some are, I'm sure some aren't. I know Wal-mart's GV brand are gluten free. They print it right on the bag. I'm pretty sure Reese's are also gluten free, but you'll want to verify that before digging in. :)

Kibbie Contributor

I just made these and they were AWESOME my husband actually freaked out when I handed one to my daughter because he thought they were regular 'glunteny' cookies! Open Original Shared Link

(its a pizza crust recipe but I made cut out sugar cookies with it!)

Kibbie Contributor

Oh I wanted to add this to the list too... not really cookies but they are good treats!

Chocolate pretzels!

All you need is

1. gluten-free pretzels

2. Hearshey Kisses

Directions:

lay 1/2 pretzels on a cookie sheet

Top those pretzels with a hearshey kiss

place in a 350 oven for a few minutes (just till the kisses get soft)

take the other 1/2 of the pretzels and 'smoosh' them onto the kisses

Let cool at room temp for at least an hour or chill in a fridge or freezer for 10-20 minutes.

They are soooooo tasty!

Guhlia Rising Star

Just a little side note... I just tried one of the chocolate chip cookies that I made yesterday afternoon and it is still very soft and yummy. I have never had a gluten free cookie that stayed soft overnight. Yum!

lonewolf Collaborator

Angie,

I have a couple quick question about your Russian Teacakes. I make them every year and I think your recipe is the same as mine. (Although I leave mine in a ball because I like them in the traditional shape.) Mine sometimes "explode" when I roll them in powdered sugar, so we nicknamed them Russian Teabombs. Did some of yours explode too? Maybe I need to use more xanthan gum for these cookies or flatten them a bit. They're our favorites and taste great - I use ground almonds instead of walnuts.

missy'smom Collaborator

Thank you so much for these recipies! I wasn't going to bake this year but knowing you'd tried these recipies out and seeing the picture gave me the confidence to try it. I made the jam thumbprints this morning and they tuned out great! :D This is what I used to make for Christmas. Thank you for your gift to us. This made my Christmas! :D

I used Gluten Free Pantry's Flour blend.

Guhlia Rising Star
Angie,

I have a couple quick question about your Russian Teacakes. I make them every year and I think your recipe is the same as mine. (Although I leave mine in a ball because I like them in the traditional shape.) Mine sometimes "explode" when I roll them in powdered sugar, so we nicknamed them Russian Teabombs. Did some of yours explode too? Maybe I need to use more xanthan gum for these cookies or flatten them a bit. They're our favorites and taste great - I use ground almonds instead of walnuts.

He he he... Nope, mine didn't explode. Do you let yours cool completely before rolling in powdered sugar? That's the only thing I could think of that would make them explode. Too funny! Now I kind of wish I could get mine to explode. That would make for a GREAT avatar!!! I use 1 teaspoon of xantham gum per cup of flour mix. Is that what you use?

Thank you so much for these recipies! I wasn't going to bake this year but knowing you'd tried these recipies out and seeing the picture gave me the confidence to try it. I made the jam thumbprints this morning and they tuned out great! biggrin.gif This is what I used to make for Christmas. Thank you for your gift to us. This made my Christmas! biggrin.gif

I used Gluten Free Pantry's Flour blend.

I'm so glad that they turned out well for you. I hope that everyone who tried one of these cookie recipes was able to enjoy them as much as we have. This will be the very first Christmas since I was diagnosed that we will have fresh cookies to put out for Santa. BTW, the chocolate chip cookies are STILL soft and delicious after a few days now. They are by far my family's favorite cookie. I will be begged for those for every occasion. I'm still baking cookies, so I will share all successful recipes. ;)

Guhlia Rising Star

Yum... For those of you with a love for coconut you MUST try this recipe. They taste slightly macaroon-like, but with a cookie texture. Very good, very chewy. I used sweetened shredded coconut and they turned out really well. I also reduced the white sugar by about 2 Tablespoon fulls. Make sure that you cook these through otherwise they will come out grainy.

Chewy Coconut Cookies by: N. Hoff (allrecipes.com)

INGREDIENTS

* 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour

* 1/2 teaspoon baking soda

* 1/4 teaspoon salt

* 1/2 cup butter

* 1/2 cup packed brown sugar

* 1/2 cup white sugar

* 1 egg

* 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

* 1 1/3 cups flaked coconut

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C.) Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside.

2. In a medium bowl, cream the butter, brown sugar, and white sugar until smooth. Beat in the egg and vanilla until light and fluffy. Gradually blend in the flour mixture, then mix in the coconut. Drop dough by teaspoonfuls onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Cookies should be about 3 inches apart.

3. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until lightly toasted. Cool on wire racks.

amybeth Enthusiast

We made:

Cinnamon spice nuts - easy!

2 cups of nuts

1 T slightly beaten egg white

1/4 c. sugar

2 t. cinnamon

1/4 t. nutmeg

1/4 t. cloves

- mix egg white into nuts until thoroughly coated and sticky

- mix spices together, then sprinkle over nuts - stir to coat

- layer on cookie sheet or jelly roll pan in single layer

- bake at 350 for 30 minutes

- let cool

(We used pecans, walnuts, and almonds)

Kibbie's pretzel and hershey kiss sandwiches - yum - tried w/ peanut butter kisses (way too melty)

Peppermint Bark

Popcorn Cake (i put in another post)

Macaroon Wreaths with cinnamon candy and green food coloring to put "holly "on the wreath

(we just adapted an easy macaroon recipe and shaped into flat wreath shape)

- 14 oz. shredded coconut

- 1 can sweetened condensed milk

- vanilla extract

- almond extract

Japsnoet Explorer

Thought I would add this recipe to your collection.

Here is a Pfeffernusse Recipe that was published in the free

Archived