This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Clearly Listing Gluten Ingredients

happygirl

happygirl Collaborator

As a board, we have talked about companies that as a whole, declare that they will list all gluten ingredients clearly on the label.

I can think of two offhand:

Kraft Open Original Shared Link

McCormick Open Original Shared Link

Can others add companies they know that fall into this category, and any references (websites, emails, etc) to that?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

psawyer Proficient

This is the list of companies/brands that I understand will clearly label all sources of gluten in their products:

Arrowhead Mills, Aunt Nelly's, Balance, Baskin Robbins, Ben & Jerry, Bertoli, Betty Crocker, Blue Bunny, Breyers, Campbells, Cascadian Farms, Celestial Seasonings, ConAgra, Country Crock, Edy's, General Mills, Good Humor, Green Giant, Haagen Daz, Hellman's, Hormel, Hungry Jack, Jiffy, Knorr, Kozy Shack, Kraft, Lawry's, Libby's, Lipton, Martha White, Maxwell House, McCormick, Nabisco, Nestle, Old El Paso, Ortega, Pillsbury, Popsicle, Post, Progresso, Ragu, Russell Stover, Seneca Foods, Skippy, Smucker, Stokely's, Sunny Delight, T Marzetti, Tyson, Unilever, Wishbone, Yoplait, Zatarain's.

There has been some discussion here about whether their products are guaranteed to be gluten-free. Well, they are not. Most, if not all, of these companies will not make such a guarantee. They all obtain some of their ingredients from other companies, and those ingredients are beyond their direct control, so they can't make a guarantee for fear of a lawsuit. I am aware that cross-contamination risks exist--my own house has gluten-containing products in the kitchen that my wife eats. When considering products from these companies, I read the label and if I don't see wheat, rye, barley or oats mentioned on the label, I will buy and eat the food. It is at least as safe as food from my own kitchen, in my view. :o

These companies have the same labelling policy in Canada and in the US, although some brands are not available in both countries. In other parts of the world you should ask locally. I believe that Kraft's policy is in effect everywhere.

rbh Apprentice

Unfortunately, Hershey's seems to have changed their policy and no longer represents that they disclose all gluten in the ingredient statement. In fact, except for specific products, they cannot necessarily tell you whether the product contains gluten if the ingredient contains "natural flavors." For example, this is the response that I received from Hershey's when I contacted them to ask whether their carmel syrup sundae topping was gluten free:

"Thank you for contacting The Hershey Company. Your comments about our chocolate product are important.

Natural flavors are derived from natural sources which could have gluten. The Sundae Syrups you are referring to have not been tested to determine if they are gluten free. I am sorry, that is all the info we can provide you.

Your interest in our company is appreciated."

Very frustrating.

psawyer Proficient

Hershey's has been waffling recently, but I'm not sure whether the content of their products has changed, or whether they are just making cover-your-a@@ statments. They had a problem recently in Canada with contaminated ingredients (not gluten) so they may just being overly cautious. You decide.

Sweetfudge Community Regular

So I was grocery shopping today, and I called to verify heinz's taquitos (i forget the sub-brand)....anyway, the lady mentioned to me that I could find a list of all gluten-free heinz foods online. anyone know where to find it? the site isn't very helpful....

angelbender Newbie

Hi! Adding to the fray.......of all the food companies I've contacted in the last 10 months, they have all appeared knowledgeable and helpful.......the only one that I got a terse reply from was the woman at Hersheys that stated. "The ingredients are as listed." She seemed to imply and only imply, that if there was a gluten source, they wouldn't be hiding it. That may just be my opinion. I didn't care for her attitude but let it go. I've had no problem eating Hersheys kisses : ) and have been a happy camper. One thing to note is that most food companies, at least the major ones, DO have generally have a toll free # listed. If I like the product enough and/or if I think that company makes alot of different products, I go ahead and call them. After getting my answer on the product I am calling about, I very nicely say something like, "I know that your company is a large one with many wonderful products.......do you by any chance have a gluten free food listing that you could send me?" They send the list and the plus is that frequently I get coupons. Yay! Granted I cannot always use all of the coupons because they send coupons for more than just their gluten free products, but I pass those on to friends. Sometimes the coupons are quite a nice discount.......for instance, $2.00 off a package of Perdue brand chicken Short Cuts. I also got a coupon for a FREE bottle of Mount Olive pickles. A nice surprise in the package was a little magnet for my fridge. I'm easily amused : ) and have also been happy with the response I get when speaking with these food company representatives. Wish I could say the same for the make up/cosmetics etc companies. Talk about passing the buck. Hope that everyone is happy and well tonight! Angel

TCA Contributor

My sig line has a link to another thread on getting stared. In that is a list of companies that will disclose gluten ingredients. Hope that helps!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived