This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Zonulin

JerryK

JerryK Community Regular

First I apologize if this is a subject that's already discussed elsewhere, but I've been doing some interesting reading.

The way I understand it is, gluten can, in specific people, cause excess release of this human protein

called "Zonulin". Zonulin seems to be the gatekeeper to your GI tract. Excess Zonulin opens the gates wide and lets a whole lot of crap into your bloodstream.

You feel bad because gluten and other toxins flood your bloodstream causing an immune reaction.

Personally I feel an affect that I attribute to this, about 2 hours after I eat more than a minute amount of wheat.

Any comments on this or additional knowledge you'd like to share with me? Jerry

Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Nancym Enthusiast

Actually, there was an study posted recently where wheat causes that to happen in EVERYONE, but celiacs have a worse reaction. Google zonulin on pubmed, there's lots of fun reading. :)

JerryK Community Regular
Actually, there was an study posted recently where wheat causes that to happen in EVERYONE, but celiacs have a worse reaction. Google zonulin on pubmed, there's lots of fun reading. :)

This is interesting and compelling stuff. Explains perfectly to me why gluten makes me feel bad.

Nancym Enthusiast

What timing, interesting article from the guy that discovered Zonulin, Open Original Shared Link

This is also why all these autoimmune diseases are related to gluten intolerance. Personally, I think anyone with an autoimmune disease should not eat gluten.

JerryK Community Regular
What timing, interesting article from the guy that discovered Zonulin, Open Original Shared Link

Thanks for posting this...

Of course it doesn't provide any insight into whether I have Gluten Intolerance or outright

Celiac, but it does explain that EVERYONE get's a bit of bad effect from Gluten.

tarnalberry Community Regular

Yep. and that's why it's one of the targets for medicinal therapy.

Archived