This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Toronto- End Of March To Mid April

Kyalesyin

Kyalesyin Apprentice

My wife and I are taking our first ever holiday together. To Toronto. For two weeks. Not only have I never flown before [which I'm sure will be an adventure] but we've never had any experience of eating gluten-free away from home. She's hasn't glutened herself for six months, which we're pretty proud of.

Does anyone have any advice at all? We're staying in a TravelLodge for the whole two weeks, so we're effectively going to be eating out for two, if not three meals a day, depending on what hotel breakfast turns out like.

I mean, what is classed as Gluten Free in Canada? Over here it seems that it either is or it isn't. There isn't a problem with oats [we've been living on flapjacks] which also seems to help, but the holiday is coming up and were sorta realising that we might be in a bit over our heads. Got got a safe meal for the flight and then sorta had a 'what now?' moment.

The other complication? I'm caffiene intolerant, recently diagnosed diabetic and developing a lactose problem. Feels like we're gonna be flying into a divorce...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

psawyer Proficient

The Canadian legal definition of "gluten free" is in the following federal regulation:

Food and Drug Regulation B.24.018

No person shall label, package, sell or advertise a food in a manner likely to create an impression that it is gluten-free unless the food does not contain wheat, including spelt and kamut, or oats, barley, rye or triticale or any part thereof.

Under this rule, gluten-free means gluten-free. It even goes so far as to say that selling "gluten-free oats" is illegal in Canada.

Toronto is a big city. If you can provide a specific location within the city where you will be staying, I can provide some specific ideas for food sources. I live outside the city boundary, but my place of business is in the north-central part of the city.

Kyalesyin Apprentice

Thanks! Its nice to know that anything we do buy won't be contaminated.

We're staying in the North York area of the city [means very little to me I'm afraid!], although we'll be all over the place day-to-day, since we're househunting and talking to immigration and all that stuff in preparation for emigrating. Sooner we get off this island the better...

Canadian Karen Community Regular
Thanks! Its nice to know that anything we do buy won't be contaminated.

We're staying in the North York area of the city [means very little to me I'm afraid!], although we'll be all over the place day-to-day, since we're househunting and talking to immigration and all that stuff in preparation for emigrating. Sooner we get off this island the better...

Well, if North York is the location you will be staying, here are some options:

1) Swiss Chalet is a chicken place that is ALL over and you can order their 1/4 (or 1/2, if you're hungry!) chicken with baked potato. That is gluten free, along with their butter, sour cream and dipping sauce (not the gravy though!) Just make sure you order it without the bun.

2) If you are going to buy food to bring to the room you are staying at, then you need to find a Loblaws Superstore or Great Canadian Superstore. They have wonderful gluten free options, some of them even have a whole gluten-free aisle!

3) There is a restaurant called Il Fornello, they have a location in North York. They are an Italian restaurant with gluten free menus. Here is a link:

Open Original Shared Link

Here is an example of their gluten free options:

4) There is an Outback Steakhouse in Richmond Hill, which is basically just north of North York. They have a gluten-free menu also, and their dessert "Thunder from Down Under" is the closest thing to heaven you can experience!

Here is an example of their gluten-free menu:

I'm sure I will think of more!

Karen

lorka150 Collaborator

Check out torontoceliac.org. There are so many places that recognize gluten-free and many with menus. (Not just on the site, but in TO in general). I can post some tomorrow - in a rush right now

Kyalesyin Apprentice

Thank you both so much! This is a really great help! We might enojoy this holiday now!

psawyer Proficient

There is some duplication in this, as I prepared it offline and did not know Karen had posted.

There is only one Travelodge in the former city of North York, and that is on Norfinch Drive. It is a part of town where I once lived, but that was almost thirty years ago. That location is about 13 miles NNW of downtown.

Toronto is divided into east and west halves by Yonge Street (pronounced "young"). The hotel is about 5 miles west of Yonge, and about a mile south of the city's north boundary, Steeles Avenue. It is close to the interchange of Finch Avenue and Highway 400. If you don't have a car, the Finch bus will take you to Finch Station, the northernmost point on the Yonge Subway, from which you can take the train downtown. More information on the TTC (transit system) is here: Open Original Shared Link

You are within walking distance of the corner of Jane and Finch, less than a mile to the east. There is shopping on three of the four corners. It is reasonably safe, but it is not the best neighborhood.

I'm in the northeast, near the junction of highways 404 and 407, and most of the places I shop are even further north.

If you are shopping for food, Loblaws supermarkets tend to have a good selection of gluten-free items in their stores. They operate under other names as well, including Canadian Superstore and Zehr's. Look in the health food section. Web site with store locator: Open Original Shared Link

In north central Toronto, Chapman's Essential Foods at 309 York Mills Rd (SW corner of Bayview Ave) has a lot of gluten free foods, but tends to be a bit pricey.

There are a number of restaurants that I can recommend that can be found in the Toronto area.

The Keg is a steakhouse and seafood chain with locations across Canada. They are very accomodating, and have 12 locations in the Toronto area. Web site with location finder: Open Original Shared Link

In Toronto, Il Fornello, Open Original Shared Link has gluten-free pasta and pizza available. They understand our needs, and will boil fresh water in a clean pot to prepare gluten-free pasta. The pizza is in the same oven as the other pizza, but is baked on a clean pan. We have eaten at the Bayview Village location many times. We tried the Richmond Hill restaurant once, but did not like it. Nothing to do with gluten, I just found it to be much too noisy. It was very crowded and I got a headache from the noise. We went back once, but left without getting a table due to the noise level.

Outback Open Original Shared Link has one location in the city of Toronto, on Dixon Road near the airport, and one in Richmond Hill, a few miles north of the city near Yonge St and Hwy 7. Outback in Canada has introduced some menu changes which are not obvious. Be sure you tell the server that you can not have "Onion Straws" or you will get them on top of your steak. They are loaded with gluten, and the menu does not mention them.

At multiple locations in Ontario you will find Swiss Chalet restaurants, which feature gluten-free rotisserie chicken. Open Original Shared Link The chicken and dipping sauce are gluten-free, as are most salads and some side dishes.

Here's a link to a discussion on the forum a year ago about a visit to Markham, the town where I live on the northeast edge of Toronto: Open Original Shared Link

Here's a link to the Toronto chapter of the Canadian Celiac Association, which has some useful stuff. Open Original Shared Link

I hope this is of some use to you. If you want to know more about any of these places, ask. Send an email or a PM via glutenfreeforum.com.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Kyalesyin Apprentice

This is more than just helpful. You have seriously just saved my holiday. We're planning where to eat when at the moment. I'll get back to you if there are any problems. Thank you so much. I wish there was some way I could thank you properly for this.

This is more than just helpful. You have seriously just saved my holiday. We're planning where to eat when at the moment. I'll get back to you if there are any problems. Thank you so much. I wish there was some way I could thank you properly for this.

By having fun on your holiday!!!! ;) That's the best thanks there could be!

Hugs.

Karen

Annaem Enthusiast

I don't know if i agree with the Keg option. It was a long time ago but i didn't have the greatest experience.

There is a restaurant called Villa it used to be an Il Fornello's. Awesome chocolate mouse dessert. Open Original Shared Link . The options are identified in the menu.

Another restaurant is Bar Mercurios on Bloor Street (close to St. George). They have gluten free pastas and pizza on their menu. The options are identified in the menu.

Hero Burgers ( burgers and hot dogs) ask for dedicated tongs when handling the food. Haven't gone but thats what they said when i emailed them. The hot dogs are BIG FRANKS. I used to be able to get them from the corner grocer but alas they shut down.

Hope this helps...

Annaem Enthusiast

Swiss Chalet has the alternative menu listed along with the allergy information and take out food information. just ask for it when you arrive. I always get the quarter chicken with the baked potato and dipping sauce. No bun of course! They are located everywhere.

Annaem Enthusiast

What did you have at the KEG. When i enquired 3 years ago i wasn't able to get the right information. For ie. mixed spices wasn't really a good answer for me. Im really curious about this. I used to love going there.

Annaem Enthusiast

Tim Hortons

NO GLUTEN

Hot Chocolate

English Toffee Cappuccino

French Vanilla Cappuccino

Iced Cappuccino (including Flavour shots)

Coffee/Tea

Hot Smoothee ( including Flavour shots0

Turkey and Wild Rice Soup

Chili

Baked Beans ONLY QUEBEC

Vanilla Yogurt and Berries

Strawberry Yogurt and Berries

jesscarmel Enthusiast

definitley go to il fornello- pizza is so good!!!

definitley go to il fornello- pizza is so good!!!

Also, you have to to go Outback Steakhouse. You haven't lived until you have experienced their dessert "Thunder from Down Under". I almost pulled a Meg Ryan when I had it....... :lol:

• 4 weeks later...
Kyalesyin Apprentice

Well, we just got back, and it was fantastic! Thank you everyone, so much!

We ate at Il Fornello, and it was amazing! Smiles all around! We also ate at Swiss Chalet, which was good, and the Perkin's Restaurant attatched to the hotel were also really happy to substitute the free toast or muffin with the meal for a fruit cup or grilled vegetables.

If anyone happens to be in Ottawa, check out a place called Isaacs. Its pretty posh, but they bent over backwards to make sure everything was to our liking, and were more than happy to swap things out.

I am happy you had a great time! Sorry the weather sucked though..... :(:unsure:

How did you like Canada?

Karen

Michi8 Contributor
Well, if North York is the location you will be staying, here are some options:

1) Swiss Chalet is a chicken place that is ALL over and you can order their 1/4 (or 1/2, if you're hungry!) chicken with baked potato. That is gluten free, along with their butter, sour cream and dipping sauce (not the gravy though!) Just make sure you order it without the bun.

Swiss Chalet, BTW, has a pamphlet on food ingredients and allergies. They list all the items on their menu and whether it has wheat, gluten, dairy, peanuts etc. Just ask the manager or hostess for a copy. They are very accomodating of customers' dietary needs. Montana's (part of the Cara chain along with Swiss Chalet) also has a gluten free menu. Also part of the same chain is Kelsey's, Milestone's, Harvey's and Second Cup. I expect each restaurant is able to accomodate dietary requests.

Michelle

Edit: Oops! My reply was "too late!" Glad your trip went well. :)

Kyalesyin Apprentice
I am happy you had a great time! Sorry the weather sucked though..... :(:unsure:

How did you like Canada?

Karen

The weather sucked? No way! We got snowed on, it was cold. Flippin' fantastic if you ask me! I love the cold weather. I know it gets hot in the summer, but it'd be worth it for the winters.

Toronto was fantastic, it really was. Sure, I cried like a little girl going up to the top of the CN tower [she won't let me live it down!] and we got lost on the Toronto subway a few times, but it was amazing. We took this trip to get a feel for Toronto before we emigrate, and its got us both sold. We're definitley doing that again. Ottawa was also beautiful. I can't wait to go kayaking on the river- we have family up that way, so I should get ample chance!

Also, if anyone ever has cause to fly with British Airways, their gluten-free meals, even for those of us stuck in coach class, are fantastic.

Archived