This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

"how Doctors Think"

chick2ba

chick2ba Apprentice

I found this interesting and relevant to our cause. It took me two paragraphs to 'diagnose' Anne.

Read for yourself:

Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guhlia Rising Star

Interesting article... Thanks for sharing!

babygirl1234 Rookie

some doctors dont even know about celiac disease and when you tell them about it they look at you like you wired or something lol

ArtGirl Enthusiast
It took me two paragraphs to 'diagnose' Anne.

Yeah, me too.

Diagnosing Celiac and gluten intolerance is still a pioneer field.

Ursa Major Collaborator

Anne Dodge's name could be changed into many names here, her story is so similar to what has happened to lots of people here. It doesn't seem to take much these days for a doctor to claim you have a mental problem, just because they can't figure out what is wrong with you.

Phyllis28 Apprentice

I think the saying is "If not for the grace of God, there go I". I was very lucky that I was diagnosed within 9 months of the onset of my symptoms.

This was a fasinating article. No one should have to suffer like Anne Dodge did. She had the classic textbook symptoms of celiac. I knew after the first two paragraghs that Celiac was a strong contender and should have been tested for.

2kids4me Contributor

intertesting read - I too had her pegged for celiac in the first 2 paragraphs!

I think human doctors should spend time in a vet clinic. We have to rely totally on body language, symptoms and history. So far I havent heard any of the vets I work with tell an owner - it was all in the pet's head and that it was mental issue :huh: and if they come in for a second opinion, we start fresh - listen to the history once again, ask then if things have changed one way or the other since they saw the first vet... and ASK the owner what concerns they have, that havent been addressed.

If physicians were more like vets, they would find the underlying disorder more quickly. In animals we send off a "panel" for bloodwork, covers blood counts and values that tell us how all the organs are functioning,... and we get results next day. My experience is that physicians ...first they do a CBC..that comes back normal...then if pressured, they look at liver enzymes...or kidney function...or maybe a thyroid screen... and if they dont find an answer with the first few tests - then by golly, it must be psychiatric in nature....not question what they may be missing.

It just seems like they break the bloodwork up into tiny bits instead of a "total body panel". They need to say: I dont know yet, but I am willing to get to the bottom of this....

Just my rambling thoughts

Sandy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

UNCHeel Rookie

Can i throw another curve ball out there? When you find a good doctor who diagnoses you how do you convince family members to get tested. Mine are not willing to put it mildly.

Ursa Major Collaborator

It's almost worse when you do have siblings who get tested at your suggestion, and their blood work comes back negative. And then, even though they are obviously gluten intolerant, the doctor tells them they have NO problem with gluten, and to keep eating it, it's just IBS, and they believe the doctor, and you are dismissed as this crackpot who is 'obsessed' with wanting to diagnose everybody in the world with gluten intolerance.

My sister who has every one of the symptoms I used to have (until I figured out my intolerances, which includes gluten), but tells me that the doctor knows more than me (because he is a doctor, and I am not), and she doesn't have to listen to me.

And one brother, who has obvious intolerances (and has eliminated some foods), doesn't believe me that there is gluten intolerance which shows up negative blood work, and therefore also won't give the gluten-free diet a try. It is frustrating.

Then today I talked to my oldest brother (they are all in Germany), and he was diagnosed last week with type II diabetes, and got mad at me for suggesting it may be connected to his obvious gluten intolerance. He will take the pills the doctor prescribes and get worse and worse, but he will not drastically change his diet (sigh).

Okay, I am done venting today's frustrations (it isn't helpful that I also have bronchitis and I am miserable).

2kids4me Contributor
how do you convince family members to get tested.

You can't...you can only give them the information and it is up to them if they decide to do it. I learned a while ago - you can't be more "invested" in someone than they are in themselves. None of my relatives will get tested because they see it as an inconvenient diet....they don't see any reason to... (even though my nephew lives off pepto bismol and heads to the bathroom after meals)..they see me as focused on the disease simply because I have 2 kids with it...

The more you mention it, the more some people resist considering they might have celiac or an intolerance

Hope you feel better soon Ursula :( sorry to hear you're sick..

sandy

I had somebody ask me yesterday (in the grocery store/small town).... : "So, do you still have that celiac problem with your kids or has that resolved?" :blink::blink:

NoGluGirl Contributor

Dear chick2ba,

I was so glad to see this! I actually started to cry some when I read this. It sounded exactly like the misery I went through. Like you guys, it only took me a couple of paragraphs to diagnose this woman. If only more doctors had brains like the one writing this book. However, from my experience, the answer to how doctors think is "DDDUUUUUHHHH." :huh:

Dear UNCHeel,

I am in the same situation. It is so annoying! People would rather die a slow and painful death. You cannot save people from themselves, unfortunately. My problem is, I keep getting glutened because of my parents not being careful. I am stuck here, and they have little if any respect for my illness and its seriousness. It is fine if they want to poison their bodies, but not mine!

Dear Ursa,

I am sorry to hear you have broncchitis and a stubborn family like mine. The broncchitis is bad enough by itself! I used to get it twice a year from the time I was born until I turned 17. Hopefully, you will feel better soon!

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Archived