This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

gluten-free Chocolate Cake In Everyday Food Magazine

skoki-mom

skoki-mom Explorer

The magazine "Everyday Food" by Martha Stewart Living has a recipe in it this month for Flourless Fudge Cake. It just calls for butter, cocoa powder, chocolate chips, eggs, sugar, confectioners sugar and orange-flavoured liqueur. I'm not too big on the chocolate-orange thing, so I got some raspberry liqueur instead. I'm having some friends over next week and I'm going to make it. Somehow I feel better feeding them a gluten-free dish that I can say "look, it's from Martha Stewart!", makes me feel like I'm not trying to cop some crappy facsimile of "real" dessert on them. Anyhow, will let you know how it turns out, or you might want to pick up a copy of the current issue. It also has a recipe for egg rolls that I'm going to try with rice wrappers......

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

delawaregirl Apprentice
The magazine "Everyday Food" by Martha Stewart Living has a recipe in it this month for Flourless Fudge Cake. It just calls for butter, cocoa powder, chocolate chips, eggs, sugar, confectioners sugar and orange-flavoured liqueur. I'm not too big on the chocolate-orange thing, so I got some raspberry liqueur instead. I'm having some friends over next week and I'm going to make it. Somehow I feel better feeding them a gluten-free dish that I can say "look, it's from Martha Stewart!", makes me feel like I'm not trying to cop some crappy facsimile of "real" dessert on them. Anyhow, will let you know how it turns out, or you might want to pick up a copy of the current issue. It also has a recipe for egg rolls that I'm going to try with rice wrappers......
delawaregirl Apprentice

Did you try the cake and if so how was it?

skoki-mom Explorer

Yes, I made the cake! It is TO DIE FOR! It is sooooo chocolately and delicious. It's so nice to have a few yummy desserts you can count on :D

georgie Enthusiast

Can you post the recipe pleeeese ? I don't think the mag is available here in Australia.

Sarah8793 Enthusiast
Somehow I feel better feeding them a gluten-free dish that I can say "look, it's from Martha Stewart!", makes me feel like I'm not trying to cop some crappy facsimile of "real" dessert on them.

:lol::lol::lol: I feel the same way! Thanks for sharing this!

GlutenFreeGirlie Rookie

I think this is the right recipe. I haven't tried it, but really want to now that I've read the post! From Everyday Food, Martha Stewart.com:

Flourless Chocolate Cake

Ingredients

Serving: Serves 8

6 Tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for pan

8 Ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, finely chopped

6 large eggs, separated

1/2 Cup granulated sugar

Confectioners' sugar, for dusting

Sweetened whipped cream, for serving

Directions

Preheat the oven to 275 degrees; with the rack in the center. Butter the bottom and sides of a 9-inch springform pan. Set aside.

Place butter and chocolate in a large heatproof bowl and microwave in 30-second increments, stirring each time, until completely melted. Let cool slightly. Whisk in egg yolks.

In a large bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add granulated sugar, and continue beating until glossy stiff peaks form. Whisk 1/4 of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture; then gently fold in remaining egg whites.

Pour batter into the prepared pan, and smooth the top with a rubber spatula. Bake until the cake pulls away from the sides of the pan and is set in the center, 45 to 50 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack; remove sides of pan. Serve at room temperature, dusted with confectioners

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

larry mac Enthusiast
.....I think this is the right recipe. I haven't tried it, but really want to now that I've read the post! From Everyday Food, Martha Stewart.com:

gfg,

This is a different recipe than the original post.

best regards,lm

kbabe1968 Enthusiast

Can't remember which magazine I cut it out from, but I think it was Family Circle? They have a recipe for a flourless Chocolate Cake too. Similar to this one, but slight variations.

:) Hoping to try soon :D

jkmunchkin Rising Star

I used to work with the nephew of the Publisher of Martha Stewart Living, and would always bother him to talk to her about asking editorial to do recipes or features on gluten free.

He said he did but I don't know if he did. I don't think so.

GlutenFreeGirlie Rookie
gfg,

This is a different recipe than the original post.

best regards,lm

Sorry for the confusion guys! I thought I was being helpful. ;) Maybe the one I posted would be good too.

holiday16 Enthusiast

I made the recipe posted here last night and it turned out well. A bit rich for my tastes, but my parents and dh loved it. I think it tastes much better served with a whipped topping than without. It was much easier to make than I would have expected and while I wouldn't make it often I'm keeping the recipe on hand! I used the bittersweet choc. rather than semi and a double boiler to melt it and the butter rather than the microwave. I also used chips instead of chopping up the choc. I hate chopping choc. since it makes such a mess. If you wanted to make it for company some choc. curls on top of the whipped topping would give it a nice touch. I also thought it might taste good with a cherry filling over the top and then whipped topping on top of that, but have not tried it yet.

Juliet Newbie

I know that some recipes call for bar chocolate instead of chips since the chips have a bit of a coating to keep them from sticking together. So melted chips are not quite as smooth as melted bars. But I doubt you'd notice that much of a difference in this cake. But you do notice a difference when making things like chocolate truffles or sauces.

skoki-mom Explorer

OK, here it is.

Source: Everyday Food magazine, April 2007

FLOURLESS FUDGE CAKE

16 tablespoons (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into pieces, plus more for pan and parchment paper

unsweetened cocoa powder for pan

2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

3 tablespoons orange flavoured liqueur, such as Grand Marnier

6 large eggs, separated, at room temperature

4 tablespoons granulated sugar

confectioners sugar, for dusting

1. Preheat oven to 300. Butter the bottom and sides of a 9 inch springform pan. Line bottom with a round of parchment paper; butter parchment. Dust paper and sides of pan with cocoa powder, tapping out excess.

2. In a heatproof bowl, set over (not in) a pan of simmering water, melt chocolate and butter, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Stir in liqueur. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on high speed, beat egg yolks with 2 tablespoons granulated sugar until pale and doubled in volume, about 6 minutes. Stir in chocolate mixture.

3. In another bowl, with mixer on high speed, beat egg whites until soft peaks form; gradually add remaining granulated sugar until medium-stiff peaks form. Whisk half the whites into chocolate mixture, then gently fold in remaining half.

4. Pour batter into prepared pan; bake until cake pulls away from sides of pan and centre is just set, 45-50 min. On a wrie rack cool completely in pan. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 4 hours our up to overnight. To serve, run a metal spatula around edge of pan, and unmold cake; dust with confectioners sugar.

I modified mine by using raspberry liqueur and serving with fresh raspberries on top. YUMMY!

wolfie Enthusiast

Thanks so much for sharing!! I will be making this for sure! :)

JNBunnie1 Community Regular
I made the recipe posted here last night and it turned out well. A bit rich for my tastes, but my parents and dh loved it. I think it tastes much better served with a whipped topping than without. It was much easier to make than I would have expected and while I wouldn't make it often I'm keeping the recipe on hand! I used the bittersweet choc. rather than semi and a double boiler to melt it and the butter rather than the microwave. I also used chips instead of chopping up the choc. I hate chopping choc. since it makes such a mess. If you wanted to make it for company some choc. curls on top of the whipped topping would give it a nice touch. I also thought it might taste good with a cherry filling over the top and then whipped topping on top of that, but have not tried it yet.

Hi Holiday, I found this one on the website here and found it to be very much more like a pudding than a cake. It was very mild and chocolatey and very yummy, looks just like those bread puddings at those country buffets. It's also egg-free for those who need it, and I suppose you could sub almond milk or something as well.

Hot Fudge Cake

1 cup gluten-free flour

Archived