This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Lays Products...how Much Of A Risk?

ReneCox

ReneCox Contributor

so how many of you(who are not lactose/casein intolerant) can tolerate lays prodcuts such as ranch doritos, cheetos, and regular potato chips (baked too)?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

newg Apprentice

I have no problem eating cheetos or lays potato chips (I only eat the salt and vinegar, or regular ones because that is what I like best) :rolleyes:

chgomom Enthusiast

Outside of indigestion...I have no iddues with Wavy Lays....althougth at this point...I have decided...why put crap in my body when I need to get this whole sitation sorted out still.

But I do indulge in those from time to time...

RiceGuy Collaborator

Well, I'd never touch Lays, or probably any flavored chips. Just look at the mile-long list of garbage they add to those things, not the least of which is MSG. I like just plain chips, and if I want something on them I'll use my own dips or whatever.

gfp Enthusiast

Isn't the issue that they share production lines?

This basically means you can't quantify the risk... it depends what other runs they are doing so its going to vary batch to batch.

chgomom Enthusiast

Yeah...and I never thoguht about the production lines.

Well scratch that indulgence then for me

Guest cassidy

Stax are produced on dedicated lines - I've never had a problem with them.

Baked Lays are my favorite thing to eat ever and they got me sick every time until I realized it must be from cc.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

confused Community Regular

I only eat the regular lays, but i have now noticed that they make me sick, too much oil in them, or maybe they are cc, im not sure. I just know they will never be in my mouth again lol

paula

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I am not much of a gambler, all the gluten floating around the factories is a real issue. I ate them at one time but learned the hard way to pass on their products.

jerseyangel Proficient
Isn't the issue that they share production lines?

This basically means you can't quantify the risk... it depends what other runs they are doing so its going to vary batch to batch.

This is what I found to be the case with Lay's. While I was still eating them, sometimes I'd be just fine, and other times, I knew it had to be the chips making me sick.

I'm sure it depended upon whether I got the first batch after something flavored with gluten or not.

darlindeb25 Collaborator

I have never been glutened by Lays Regular Potato Chips and yeah, look at the ingredients:

POTATOES

SUNFLOWER OIL

SALT

Now that's the kind of list I like!

kbabe1968 Enthusiast

Doritos says right ont he label that they contain wheat starch. Just looked this past weekend.

Now...the potato chips...the ones that have the sunflower on the bag...I can deal with that list of ingredients. Whole fresh potatoes, sliced and fried in sunflower oil and salt. That's it.

I don't eat stax.

My favorite chips are Kettle Cooked kind. Utz chips come right out and say "gluten free" on the bag.

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

I stopped using Lay (never was a big fan) when I went gluten free. I stayed away from junkfood for quite awhile. When I do needs chips or salty treats, I go with UTZ who puts gluten free on their bag or with Wegmans brand because they have the gluten free "G".

MSU Newbie

POTATO

SUNFLOWER OIL

SALT

These natural Lays are NOT safe! I used to be addicted to the all natural corn chips on their gluten free list; however, they kept me sick for an entire summer. Despite the wonderful looking ingredient list, these chips are cross-contaminated. Check the disclaimer on their gluten free list.

Open Original Shared Link

Tritty Rookie
Doritos says right ont he label that they contain wheat starch. Just looked this past weekend.

Yes, regular doritos have wheat starch. But Cool Ranch Doritos do not. I have done fine with those, but have issues with Fritos...

gfp Enthusiast
POTATO

SUNFLOWER OIL

SALT

These natural Lays are NOT safe! I used to be addicted to the all natural corn chips on their gluten free list; however, they kept me sick for an entire summer. Despite the wonderful looking ingredient list, these chips are cross-contaminated. Check the disclaimer on their gluten free list.

Open Original Shared Link

MSU.... this is exactly what I did with some corn tortilla's.

Because I thought they were safe I kept them as a backup.... and I lost about 6 months of my life feeling crap and wondering what I was doing wrong...

The problem is you never know.... you can test them one batch and be fine then another batch isn't.... and there is no logical way of knowing short of trying... but because of the nature of chips in general..they're something easy to keep around as a fallback.

Mtndog Collaborator

OMG- Holy sh*&^%t! This could explain why I have been feeling like utter grabage for over 2 months now. I DON"T KNOW WHY I NEVER THOUGHT ABOUT CC. I eat the Natural Lay's constantly. Maybe this is what it was all along!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

Mtndog Collaborator

Wow- I just had to popst again and say THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Especially MSU! I literally was thinking something was seriously wrong with me! Potatoes are a safe food for me- potatoes and apples settle my stomach so even when I was feeling terrible, I would eat these and rice. I've lost like 10 pounds in the last two months and have been sick constantly.

And I JUST started eating them a few months ago. I cannot THANK YOU enough! UTZ- here I come!

brendygirl Community Regular
I have never been glutened by Lays Regular Potato Chips and yeah, look at the ingredients:

POTATOES

SUNFLOWER OIL

SALT

Now that's the kind of list I like!

THAT"S WHY I EAT THEM!! I used to be a vegetarian and like unprocessed foods, and short from getting my own kitchen greasy from frying them myself, I don't know how much simpler you can get!

brendygirl Community Regular
MSU.... this is exactly what I did with some corn tortilla's.

Because I thought they were safe I kept them as a backup.... and I lost about 6 months of my life feeling crap and wondering what I was doing wrong...

The problem is you never know.... you can test them one batch and be fine then another batch isn't.... and there is no logical way of knowing short of trying... but because of the nature of chips in general..they're something easy to keep around as a fallback.

THat's the ingredient list for REGULAR Lays.

I've never had the natural ones, but the regular ones work fine for me.

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
OMG- Holy sh*&^%t! This could explain why I have been feeling like utter grabage for over 2 months now. I DON"T KNOW WHY I NEVER THOUGHT ABOUT CC. I eat the Natural Lay's constantly. Maybe this is what it was all along!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

SMOKING BAT MAN......I EAT FOR LUNCH EVERY DAY...NO BREAD ANYMORE..JUST LETTUCE WRAP AND CHIPS...NOW I'M INTO FRITTO'S AND TONIGHT I'M ITCHING LIKE CRAZY..AND BUMPS AROUND EAR...JUST GOT THE FRITTO'S

MSC--THANKS FOR THE LINK.....

PATTI..WARNED ME FOR THE PAST 3 MONTHS...SHE HAD TO STOP EATING THE LAYS REGULAR CHIPS...(SORRY PATTI JUST BEV'S POPED UP DIDN'T READ THE WHOLE THREAD

I HATE HATE HATE CC...... :ph34r::angry::blink:

BEV I REALLY APPRECIATE THE POST...PATTI KEEPS TELLING ME THINGS..BUT SOMETIMES I NEED

''''A BOARD ALONG THE SIDE OF THE HEAD TO GET MY ATTENTION.""""

I THINK YOU AND I ARE GETTING CLOSER TO THE ANSWERS....BY EXCLUSION...JUST LIKE THE DOCTORS DO...

OF COURSE...THIS IS JUST MY OPINION....WE ALL KNOW MANY CAN EAT THESE WONDERFUL CHIPS WITHOUT A PROBLEM....MEANWHILE I 'SIT AND ITCH'

NEVER DID WITH CHIPS.

LOVE AND HAPPY EASTER TO YOU ALL

JUDY

AndreaB Contributor

I haven't had the potato chips but Frito's haven't gone over well most times and I'm not intolerant to corn.

jerseyangel Proficient
Wow- I just had to popst again and say THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Especially MSU! I literally was thinking something was seriously wrong with me! Potatoes are a safe food for me- potatoes and apples settle my stomach so even when I was feeling terrible, I would eat these and rice. I've lost like 10 pounds in the last two months and have been sick constantly.

And I JUST started eating them a few months ago. I cannot THANK YOU enough! UTZ- here I come!

I hope they work for you--I tried Utz once, and within 2 hours had a full-blown gluten reaction. Not vague, like with the Lays--there was not doubt!

I know lots of people eat these with no problem--I just wasn't one of them, and thought you should know. :)

Incidently, after this happened, I emailed Utz (very politely, just inquiring)--and they never got back to me. :angry:

Mtndog Collaborator

Well after I read this thread I went to the Utz website:Open Original Shared Link

And here's their disclaimer:

\An additional complication to this matter is the potential fact that the manufacturing facilities of our ingredient suppliers may use common manufacturing lines to produce different formulations for accounts other than our own. Obviously, these production lines are thoroughly cleaned between changeovers, but there is always the potential for trace contamination. Notwithstanding the above concerns, we have been giving out the aforementioned list of Utz branded

jerseyangel Proficient

Their statement has changed--I'll bet they have gotten a lot more complaints! ;)

Archived