This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Diverticulitis Of The Ascending Colon

angel-jd1

angel-jd1 Community Regular

I have been having alot of tests run here lately and they have just ruled out gallbladder. The thought stuck in the back of my head is that it is "just" my diverticulitis. However, like the usual trouble I have with it, the pain is on the right side. Still having fever, vomiting, pain, nausea, chills, not hungry, etc.

In researching this......the pain/diverticulitis would have to be in the ascending colon. Instead of where most folks usually get it (descending colon,left side).

Have any of you had diverticulitis in the ascending colon?

Thanks in advance for your help.

-Jessica :rolleyes:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

Not me babe, but I hope you find some relief soon. Hopefully your test will indicate something that can be delt with.

Thanks.........Dr wants to send me to a Gastro...........I haven't been to one since my diagnosis :ph34r: The one I went to has since moved. I'm hoping my doctor will just go for trying a round of antibiotics to get my white count and fever down and see if the pain goes away. I've already had an ultrasound, bloodwork and a pipida scan.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I do, I have (had?) the little buggers all the way throughout my entire colon, they were found in a colonoscopy a couple years prediagnosis. The same scope that caused the I Be Stupid diagnosis at which I was told to just get more fiber. My GI said that was very unusual, usually they only see it on the left. Don't know if this helps but at least you know your not the only one. On a follow up colonoscopy I had a couple weeks ago GI said many of the diverticuli were gone. I have been gluten-free for almost 5 years and don't know if that is why they have lessened or not.

I do, I have (had?) the little buggers all the way throughout my entire colon, they were found in a colonoscopy a couple years prediagnosis. The same scope that caused the I Be Stupid diagnosis at which I was told to just get more fiber. My GI said that was very unusual, usually they only see it on the left. Don't know if this helps but at least you know your not the only one. On a follow up colonoscopy I had a couple weeks ago GI said many of the diverticuli were gone. I have been gluten-free for almost 5 years and don't know if that is why they have lessened or not.

Glad to know there is someone out there who has it (so I know I'm not crazy) ha :) Now if I can only convince the dr that this "might" be what is wrong :blink:

I finally found the pictures from the scopes that I had in 2002. All of the pictures of my diverticulitis are from the ascending colon side!!!! Now to present the info to the doc ;) I hope he just goes for antibiotics and not a referral to a gastro.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
I finally found the pictures from the scopes that I had in 2002. All of the pictures of my diverticulitis are from the ascending colon side!!!! Now to present the info to the doc ;) I hope he just goes for antibiotics and not a referral to a gastro.

Jessica, I would ask for the referral. If this an an attack of diverticulitis, (when the diverticuli become inflamed and infected) it can be very serious. It is also usually an 'acute' problem that develops suddenly. There is a risk that the inflamed diverticuli can burst and release fecal toxins into the abdomen. That would result in peritonitis which can be rapidly fatal. If you doctor suspects diverticulitis it would be IMHO irresponsible of him to just give you a script for antibiotics.

If this problem has been a 'chronic' one that came on slowly and has been going on for a while and you are a celiac you need to find out if it is CC or nonfood related gluten that is causing it. Small amounts of CC through nonfood, toiletries, meds etc. can cause lingering problems.

I hope you get some relief soon.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mandigirl1 Enthusiast

What exactly is Diverticulitis? and How do you know if you have it?

Ive been sick lately w/pain on right side of stomach. already had sonogram, CAT scan, blood work, etc. Results showed nothing to be wrong. They thought it was appendicitis, but it isnt. So, now Im thinking maybe I have this diverticulitis thing. (Ive been Dx w/celiac disease for 8 yrs.)

Thanks for any help!!!

e

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Diverticulosis is weak spots that form little out pouches in the wall of the large intestine. I am sure it has more than one cause but for many of us the reason they form is from having severe constipation. Diverticuli that get food or seeds caught in them and then get infected cause diverticulitis. When you see 'otis' on the end of a word like diverticuli it means a condition when the end is 'itis' it means those diverticuli have become inflamed or infected.

Most folks have at least a few of the little outpouches and live with them with no problems. Problems arise when one of them become inflamed. When this happens it is generally sudden, very painful and the person will be extrememly ill with a high fever. There would be no doubt that the person needs a trip to the ER if that happens.

If you have a colonoscopy they are easily found and the doctor will tell you if you need to make any changes because of their presence. Even with all the ones I have, in part due to having a condition called Ehlers Danlos that weakens the connective tissues, my doc has said no treatment or changes were needed. That may be different for others.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I am feeling considerably better than I was. I talked to the Dr. who agreed that I had diverticulitis of the ascending colon. He said it was pretty rare to see people with it in the ascending colon. I then reminded him that I was one rare chick :lol: .

He put me on Flagyl 500mg and Bactrim DS. Those had me feeling pretty darn good. However fever jumped back up again on Monday and some pain resurfaced...so I am on to round 2 of antibiotics. I start them Thursday. This time I will be taking cipro and Flagyl (I think).

The point of this story is.......with all these high powered/multiple doses of antibiotics I had probably better pick up some probiotics or something to keep the good bacteria going in there. Any suggestions?

I am eating some yogurt.....is that good enough? or should I do more...like with capsules of a probiotic....and please be brand specific if you say YES do the probiotic :) Thanks!!

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Well I am feeling considerably better than I was. I talked to the Dr. who agreed that I had diverticulitis of the ascending colon. He said it was pretty rare to see people with it in the ascending colon. I then reminded him that I was one rare chick :lol: .

He put me on Flagyl 500mg and Bactrim DS. Those had me feeling pretty darn good. However fever jumped back up again on Monday and some pain resurfaced...so I am on to round 2 of antibiotics. I start them Thursday. This time I will be taking cipro and Flagyl (I think).

The point of this story is.......with all these high powered/multiple doses of antibiotics I had probably better pick up some probiotics or something to keep the good bacteria going in there. Any suggestions?

I am eating some yogurt.....is that good enough? or should I do more...like with capsules of a probiotic....and please be brand specific if you say YES do the probiotic :) Thanks!!

Hi Jessica, If the yogurt worked for the first run just keep it up. I am also getting over a bout with diverticulitis, it hit a couple of weeks ago and lead to a lot of tests. Unfortunately my doc didn't recognize it as such until last week when I finally got a script for a couple of antibiotics. Make sure they check your scripts for gluten, the Flagyl can be hard to find unless generic and those in particular need to be absolutely verified. Notify your doctor right away if you notice any unusual symptoms. Some of the newer antibiotics can have some very intense side effects.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Hi Jessica, If the yogurt worked for the first run just keep it up. I am also getting over a bout with diverticulitis, it hit a couple of weeks ago and lead to a lot of tests. Unfortunately my doc didn't recognize it as such until last week when I finally got a script for a couple of antibiotics. Make sure they check your scripts for gluten, the Flagyl can be hard to find unless generic and those in particular need to be absolutely verified. Notify your doctor right away if you notice any unusual symptoms. Some of the newer antibiotics can have some very intense side effects.

I always do my own calling on the meds. My 2nd job is a registered pharmacy technician. :) So I figure I may as well do it myself and hear what the people actually say instead of what is relayed to me. I prefer it that way.

• 2 weeks later...
whattodo Enthusiast

Hi Jess, u made my blush. Thanks for your reply. On looking at your topics i came across this one. Believe it or not i too have diverticular disease. Although not diverticulitis, and hopefully never get to that stage. My diverticuar are in the transverse colon, The bit between the acending and decending. This was my first diagnosis for the problems im having now. I went back to them and told them that the pain i was having was not the same as i have read about. thats when the started doing tests for celiac disease.

Anyway, i have approx 30 pockets and the largest one approx 7mm dia. I was put on a hight fibre diet then but told to stop eating as much fibre when thought i had celiac. Am confused more than ever now.

Just wanted to let you know that u are not the only one.

All the best

Jay

Hi Jess, u made my blush. Thanks for your reply. On looking at your topics i came across this one. Believe it or not i too have diverticular disease. Although not diverticulitis, and hopefully never get to that stage. My diverticuar are in the transverse colon, The bit between the acending and decending. This was my first diagnosis for the problems im having now. I went back to them and told them that the pain i was having was not the same as i have read about. thats when the started doing tests for celiac disease.

Anyway, i have approx 30 pockets and the largest one approx 7mm dia. I was put on a hight fibre diet then but told to stop eating as much fibre when thought i had celiac. Am confused more than ever now.

Just wanted to let you know that u are not the only one.

All the best

Jay

Jay-

WOW....7mm would be pretty large of a pocket!! You sure need to be careful. I don't think they counted my pockets when they did my scopes. However, I DO have pictures of them! ha Add THOSE to the photo album :lol: "and here is a picture of my colon" :lol: When I had my scopes they told me I have the intestines of an 80 year old!! :P

Right now I am not allowed much fiber until this bout with diverticulitis heals. I have two more days of the 2nd round of double antibiotics (ya, that's 20 days of 4 different kinds of meds). However, it seems to be doing much better. I am not in near as much pain as I was 20 days ago :)

It's good to know that I am not alone in my "old people's disease" (at our age!) ha

whattodo Enthusiast

WOW....7mm would be pretty large of a pocket!! You sure need to be careful. I don't think they counted my pockets when they did my scopes. However, I DO have pictures of them! ha Add THOSE to the photo album :lol: "and here is a picture of my colon" :lol: When I had my scopes they told me I have the intestines of an 80 year old!! :P

Right now I am not allowed much fiber until this bout with diverticulitis heals. I have two more days of the 2nd round of double antibiotics (ya, that's 20 days of 4 different kinds of meds). However, it seems to be doing much better. I am not in near as much pain as I was 20 days ago :)

It's good to know that I am not alone in my "old people's disease" (at our age!) ha

Yeah 7mm, i got over the fact that it wasnt that big but you made me a little more concious of it. have u ever heared of diverticular being inflammed for a long period of time. I wander if it could be my diverticular playing up instead of celiac disease being the problem. Did you find being on a celiac diet better for your diverticular? I sure that diverticular pain cannot last for 8 months.

How old were you when you got diagnosed with diverticular disease? Does it not scare you when they tell you, you have the intestines of a 80 year old? Ever mentioned surgery to you?

If you are not careful (eating foods that aren't good for the colon, things that can get caught in the pockets) then YES it could be inflamed for a long time. Possibly infected if it goes on long enough.

I have put myself on a almost liquid diet for the last 20 days. Eating only soft foods, liquid foods etc. This is supposed to help heal the area because it isn't having to work hard and get all the fiberous materials out. Then once it is healed (and ONLY once healed) I will go back to fiber and taking some fiber supplement to insure I don't get this infection again.

I never knew I had diverticulitis until I had the scopes and biopsies for celiac. So diagnosed with both in 2002.

I didn't really think too much about "having the intestines of an 80 year old" because I was still souped up on the valium from the scopes when they told me that!! :lol: All I can do now is just be conscious of what I am putting into my body as to not make it WORSE (bigger/more pockets).

Diverticulitis is painful. VERY painful. With mine this time I had severe back pain and pain in the front....it was terribly uncomefortable to sit, stand, lay...anything. I also had nausea, vomiting, exhausted, high fever (for me), high white count. Lots of "fun" things :)

Have you seen the doctor? They could run a cbc (blood work) and he could do a physical exam to see if the pain is in the right place to be diverticulitis?

whattodo Enthusiast
If you are not careful (eating foods that aren't good for the colon, things that can get caught in the pockets) then YES it could be inflamed for a long time. Possibly infected if it goes on long enough.

I have put myself on a almost liquid diet for the last 20 days. Eating only soft foods, liquid foods etc. This is supposed to help heal the area because it isn't having to work hard and get all the fiberous materials out. Then once it is healed (and ONLY once healed) I will go back to fiber and taking some fiber supplement to insure I don't get this infection again.

I never knew I had diverticulitis until I had the scopes and biopsies for celiac. So diagnosed with both in 2002.

I didn't really think too much about "having the intestines of an 80 year old" because I was still souped up on the valium from the scopes when they told me that!! :lol: All I can do now is just be conscious of what I am putting into my body as to not make it WORSE (bigger/more pockets).

Diverticulitis is painful. VERY painful. With mine this time I had severe back pain and pain in the front....it was terribly uncomefortable to sit, stand, lay...anything. I also had nausea, vomiting, exhausted, high fever (for me), high white count. Lots of "fun" things :)

Have you seen the doctor? They could run a cbc (blood work) and he could do a physical exam to see if the pain is in the right place to be diverticulitis?

What you said about a cbc and a physical exam to pinpoint the pain is very interesting. Thats exactly what i want. I know where my constant pain is (just under the top left rib). I just need to know where the diverticular are. This is what i could not get out of the doctors. Is there any way other than camera to tell where the pain is coming from?

What you said about a cbc and a physical exam to pinpoint the pain is very interesting. Thats exactly what i want. I know where my constant pain is (just under the top left rib). I just need to know where the diverticular are. This is what i could not get out of the doctors. Is there any way other than camera to tell where the pain is coming from?

If what you have is diverticulitis....then you would not want to have a scope done until you are healed. The scope can puncture those tender/infected pouches and create an even larger problem. My dad had to be hospitalized last summer with this and they refused to do the scopes until he was completely healed. They didn't want to risk it.

whattodo Enthusiast
If what you have is diverticulitis....then you would not want to have a scope done until you are healed. The scope can puncture those tender/infected pouches and create an even larger problem. My dad had to be hospitalized last summer with this and they refused to do the scopes until he was completely healed. They didn't want to risk it.

so there is only a physical exam, surely bloodwork would not pinpoint anything. I have bloodwork done 3 time in 7 months and in all 3 my white and red cells were fine. just just tells them that there is no infection in my body in nothing to worry about. I dont think it will detect the inflamation

so there is only a physical exam, surely bloodwork would not pinpoint anything. I have bloodwork done 3 time in 7 months and in all 3 my white and red cells were fine. just just tells them that there is no infection in my body in nothing to worry about. I dont think it will detect the inflamation

Right, CBC would show elevated white cell count (infection). However, if your counts are normal there is no reason that a scope couldn't be done. However, if your counts are normal, most likely this isn't the cause of your pain. The pain usually comes from the infection. Therefore you really most likely don't need the scope. How long ago was your scope/biopsies for celiac? They should have been able to see some things then. Did they mention anything then about your pockets being inflamed or irritated?

whattodo Enthusiast
Right, CBC would show elevated white cell count (infection). However, if your counts are normal there is no reason that a scope couldn't be done. However, if your counts are normal, most likely this isn't the cause of your pain. The pain usually comes from the infection. Therefore you really most likely don't need the scope. How long ago was your scope/biopsies for celiac? They should have been able to see some things then. Did they mention anything then about your pockets being inflamed or irritated?

Jess, scope was 2 weeks ago down my mouth. Can see diverticular of the bowel in the same test. would have to come up the rear for that one. I was diagnosed by CT Scan

Jess, scope was 2 weeks ago down my mouth. Can see diverticular of the bowel in the same test. would have to come up the rear for that one. I was diagnosed by CT Scan

Oh you only had upper........I had upper and lower the same day. Anyways.......might be worth a shot to call your doctor. He can do a physical exam ( pushing on your tummy and asking some questions) to see if he/she thinks you might be having some issues with diverticulitis. Good luck!!

lcbannon Apprentice

I was diagnosed at 43, I have also recently had a CT scan where the little pockets all showed up very nicely. Have had docs tell me to eliminate whole corn, nuts etc but new ones say no those are actually ok to eat UNLESS you are in a flare or infected. I am careful about when I eat salads and things, make sure everything is moving ok- kwim

When in a flare I am VERY careful of what I eat so that I can allow colon to heal with help of the antibidodics which always give me yeast so yes a probiotic is great idea.

good luck

• 2 weeks later...

Monday I set up an appointment with the GI doctor I was referred to. I am just not "better" like I would like to be. The pain goes away while I am on the antibiotics and then comes back when I stop them. NOW ontop of that I am having bleeding ( I suppose hemmaroids). It's not a little it's ALOT which scares me a bit. My Mom thought I should go in and see my GP since I can't get into the GI until July 16th!! Called them today and told them what is going on and can't get in to them until Monday ( that's 6 days of waiting and bleeding and hurting) . I just feel like screaming.

I do NOT want to get as sick as I was 3 months ago. The antibiotics have gotten me tons better but not 100% and I am refusing to go back to being that sick.

I have also spent some time on the phone today trying to get old medical records to take to the GI appointment. The lady that I talked to acted like it was SUCH a pain to get those records since they are "probably in storage since it was SO long ago". Uhhhh isn't your job to get medical records, this IS the medical records dept! :lol: I don't care if they are in africa, get them !! geesh.

Thanks for letting me vent............Doctors are frustrating

Archived