This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Asian Rice Pasta, Homemade

luv2cook

luv2cook Rookie

I have been collected some homemade gluten free asian pasta recipes I wanted to share, but haven't tried yet myself. There are some I don't know how to convert from their measurements into cups, but here they are:

Thai Rice Noodles

Makes 1 Lb.

1 1/4 cups uncooked long-grain rice

1 1/4 cups water

Vegetable oil

1. Soak the rice overnight in the water. After soaking, grind the rice and water for 5 or 10 minutes in a blender to form a very smooth thin batter, (A food processor won't work for this.) When done grinding, you should be able to feel no more than the slightest hint of solid particles if you rub the batter between your fingers. Better too smooth than not smooth enough!

2. Lightly coat an 8x8x2 inch baking pan with oil and heat it for about 3 minutes in a steamer. Pour in 1/2 cup batter in an even layer and replace the steamer lid. Steam for 5 minutes. From this point on, check to make sure there's water in the steamer. Add boiling water as necessary if it's low.

3. After 5 minutes, coat the top of the first layer lightly but thoroughly with vegetable oil and pour 1/2 cup of batter in an even layer on top of it. Again, steam for 5 minutes. Repeat with the remaining batter. After adding the last layer, steam for 8 minutes. When sliced, the layers will separate into thin noodles.

4. Use immediately in any recipe calling for fresh rice noodles or wrap them tightly in plastic wrap and store in the 'fridge for up to 2 days. They can be frozen for up to 6 months, but will be grainy when thawed.

Recipe from "Thai Home-Cooking from Kamolmal's Kitchen".

Fresh Rice Sheets For Noodles Or Wrappers

Yield: 8 Sheets

1 c Rice flour

5 tb Tapioca starch

4 tb Wheat starch

1 ts Kosher salt

2 c Water; plus

2 tb Water

5 ts Oil

x Oil; to grease pans

* Tapioca starch and wheat starch are both pure white, silky textured powders, available in 1-pound bags in well-stocked Asian Markets.

1. Combine rice flour, tapioca starch, wheat starch, salt and water and stir until smooth. Strain batter through a fine strainer and stir in 5 teaspoons oil. Let batter rest 30 minutes.

2. Lightly oil a baking sheet and two 8x8 inch or 9x9 inch square cake pans. Place a steaming rack in a wok and add water to just below rack. Bring to a boil and have additional boiling water ready to replenish steamer.

3. Stir batter very well and pour enough into one of the cake pans to cover bottom, about 1/2 cup. Set pan on steaming rack, cover wok, and steam 5 minutes. Remove lid, being careful not to let condensed water drip on rice sheet. (A tea towel can be placed over pan before covering wok - K.F.) Remove cake pan; cool in a sink or lager pan filled with 1/2 inch cold water. Meanwhile, fill and steam the other cake pan.

4. Loosen the cooled rice sheet from the first pan and roll it out onto the oiled baking sheet. Turn over rice sheet to lightly oil both sides, then transfer to a platter. Repeat cooking, cooling, and

oiling steps with remaining batter.

5. Stack rice sheets on a plate, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate at least 2 hours before cutting into noodles or adding stuffings.

Noodles:

100 g Rice flour

100 ml water

1. Make a thick slurry by whisking flour and water together with a touch of salt.

2. Grease a flat tray that will fit into a steamer basket (a plate will do) and pour noodle batter to a thickness of 3 mm.

3. Steam for 5 mins and then gently remove the noodle and cut into strips and oil down so they don

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

Thanks for the recipes.

Archived