This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

So.....

Guest jokamo

Guest jokamo

I was reading here last night and read that on labels when it says natural colors it could still have gluten in it from barley or rye because they don't have to disclose that it is in there. Is this true? If this is true then I am glutening myself all the time with the things that I am eating. I know that they have to say on the label is it has wheat in it , but not barley or rye? Gosh, and here I thought I was doing good eating the "natural" flavors, and staying away from the artificial ones.

So if the label says gluten free on it, but also says natural flavors, could I still be eating barley and rye?

And how come I can eat regular corn, but have trouble with Maltodextrin, and caramel color/flavoring?

Thanks

Jodi M.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

loraleena Contributor

Natural flavors can mean gluten!

Mango04 Enthusiast
And how come I can eat regular corn, but have trouble with Maltodextrin, and caramel color/flavoring?

Thanks

Jodi M.

There's a big difference between natural corn and the processed substances known as maltodextrin and caramel coloring, even if those substances were derived from corn originally. I believe maltodextrin an also be derived from potatoes, but if those additives bother you, your symptoms might not have anything to do with the original sources they came from.

happygirl Collaborator

The food allergen labeling law officially only covers wheat.

However, there is a HUGE list of companies that state that they WON'T hide gluten. If you are using these products (always turn the package over to see who processes it...you will find that many, many companies are on this list that you may not realize)....then you can feel safe about it. Very rarely do I have to call, because so many of the products that I eat are owned by one of these companies. (I had no idea that very few companies own everything!)

Arrowhead Mills, Aunt Nelly's, Balance, Baskin Robbins, Ben & Jerry, Bertoli, Betty Crocker, Blue Bunny, Breyers, Campbells, Cascadian Farms, Celestial Seasonings, ConAgra, Country Crock, Edy's, General Mills, Good Humor, Green Giant, Haagen Daz, Hellman's, Hershey, Hormel, Hungry Jack, Jiffy, Knorr, Kozy Shack, Kraft, Lawry's, Libby's, Lipton, Martha White, Maxwell House, McCormick, Nabisco, Nestle, Old El Paso, Ortega, Pillsbury, Popsicle, Post, Progresso, Ragu, Russell Stover, Seneca Foods, Skippy, Smucker, Stokely's, Sunny Delight, T Marzetti, Tyson, Unilever, Wishbone, Yoplait, Zatarain's.

Open Original Shared Link

hope this helps and takes away a lot of your concern!

happygirl Collaborator
Natural flavors can mean gluten!

It can, but not on any of the above companies. yay for good companies!

Guest jokamo

Thanks everyone for all the info. No wonder I am still getting bloated all the time and still feeling tired and hurting!

Happygirl I have printed out the company list that you put here. Thanks! I will keep it in my purse!

jokamo

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Thanks everyone for all the info. No wonder I am still getting bloated all the time and still feeling tired and hurting!

Happygirl I have printed out the company list that you put here. Thanks! I will keep it in my purse!

jokamo

Be aware also that even with companies that disclose gluten ingredients many will not state whether something is made in the same facility that gluten containing items are. Frito Lay is a prime example of this. When first diagnosed I was overjoyed to see their nice long list of goodies. It wasn't until months later that I realized eating Cheetos or Doritos was playing Russian Roulette. If you are early in the healing stages the more you can stick with naturally gluten free foods the better. The added benefit to doing this is that after a couple months naturally gluten-free when you do add processed foods back in it will make it obvious if you are reacting to them.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived