This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

State College, Pa Recomendations

christycl

christycl Rookie

HI All - I will be in State College, PA in a few weeks and wondered if there are any restaurant suggestions for that are that are celiac-friendly? Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

I am not sure about the restaurants but there is a Wegmans out in State College and if you have never been to one or don't have one near it is a neat store with lots of gluten free items.

jmd3 Contributor
HI All - I will be in State College, PA in a few weeks and wondered if there are any restaurant suggestions for that are that are celiac-friendly? Thanks.

I don't believe there is any gluten-free restaurants per say, but...There is a great grocery store called Giant there - it has a whole designated aisle for health consience and gluten free foods, maybe two aisles. I don't get there very often, but when I go through there I always stop.

beachbound Newbie

I live about 45 min from State College and do a lot of my shopping there. There is an Outback Steakhouse off the Toftree's exit that is very good. They have a gluten-free menu and also have the flourless dessert that is such a treat. I have also eaten at the Ponderossa with a lot of sucess. They do not have a gluten free menu, but the manager was very helpful and brought out the ingredient list so I could check out the butter sauce that they use. It was safe. I usually get a steak and grilled shrimp with a baked potato and butter. Then I eat off the buffet. I usually get their corn, green beans, cooked carrots and a salad. I have never reacted. I also get a sundae with some toppings. I have tried eating at Hoss's and did not make out well. I know that beffets can be off limits, but Ponderossa has done well for me. Hope I was able to help. There is a Wegmans and a Giant as mentioned before and they have great organic sections with a lot of selections. Good luck and goooooooo Nitany LIONS!!!

Good luck and goooooooo Nitany LIONS!!!

I work at Penn State, just not main campus, I work for the Medical Center in Hershey! Woo-hoo!!!! GO PSU!!!!!!

NicoleAJ Enthusiast

I live in State College, and I would also recommend the Outback. I've only gotten sick there once, and ever since, I've just been more explicit about what I need from them. Downtown there's a Chinese restaurant called Golden Wok. Talk to the manager about the fact that you cannot have wheat or gluten--they will suggest either the chicken with mixed vegetables with white wine sauce, or if you're there at lunch, the chicken with baby spinach and tomatoes is also excellent (also in a white wine sauce). The Tavern, a restaurant downtown, is also excellent if you bring in a dining card and give them detailed instructions. Their steak can be made gluten free and their chicken with wild rice (although I always sub a baked potato for the wild rice). If you want a really upscale meal, go to the neighboring town of Bellefonte to the Gamble Mill Tavern--the wife of the owner has celiac, so they really know how to do gluten free, and always make an excellent and safe meal.

As far as grocery stores, Weis is ok for gluten-free foods, Giant is good, Wegman's is better, and Nature's Pantry, an independently owned natural food store, is the best (they carry kinnickinnick and lots of other goodies). If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.

• 2 weeks later...
christycl Rookie

Thanks for the many suggestions. I have emailed the creamery and was very sorry to find out that in addition to the obvious ice creams that have cookie inclusions they cannot say any other flavor is gluten-free because the sugar that is used comes from a mill that also grinds wheat flour!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

beachbound Newbie
I live in State College, and I would also recommend the Outback. I've only gotten sick there once, and ever since, I've just been more explicit about what I need from them. Downtown there's a Chinese restaurant called Golden Wok. Talk to the manager about the fact that you cannot have wheat or gluten--they will suggest either the chicken with mixed vegetables with white wine sauce, or if you're there at lunch, the chicken with baby spinach and tomatoes is also excellent (also in a white wine sauce). The Tavern, a restaurant downtown, is also excellent if you bring in a dining card and give them detailed instructions. Their steak can be made gluten free and their chicken with wild rice (although I always sub a baked potato for the wild rice). If you want a really upscale meal, go to the neighboring town of Bellefonte to the Gamble Mill Tavern--the wife of the owner has celiac, so they really know how to do gluten free, and always make an excellent and safe meal.

As far as grocery stores, Weis is ok for gluten-free foods, Giant is good, Wegman's is better, and Nature's Pantry, an independently owned natural food store, is the best (they carry kinnickinnick and lots of other goodies). If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.

Nicole,

Could you please give me an idea of where Nature's Pantry is located. I have heard about them, and someone tried to give me directions, but I just couldn't figure it out. I am familiar with the mall, Both giants, both Weis, and the Target Complex. I have heard that they sell gluten4me poducts. I have sampled many of her items and they are fantastic. I just ordered her July special and it is incrediable. It would be nice to pick up a few items at a time and freeze them and avoid paying shipping. Also thanks for the mention of the other restraunts. I will be heading to the Gamble Mill Tavern soon, and the Chinese restraunt that is Gluten free will answer some prayers. I tried our local chinese and ended up very sick. He told me as best he could that the soy sauce was gluten free and for all else he uses corn starch. No matter, I was extremely sick. I can't wait to pick some up after shopping and go home with supper. That is downtown, could you also give me directions for that. I think that will be my Sunday Supper!!!!!! Thanks a million for all of your help. :rolleyes:

Kimberly :P

NicoleAJ Enthusiast

Kimberly,

I actually haven't seen glutenfree4me products at Nature's pantry--I might not have been looking hard enough. Nevertheless, their selection is unparalled in State College. They are located on Rte 26 (College Ave). If you are going from campus heading east on College Ave, they are on the right hand side 1 block before you reach 322 in a complex with a pool table store.

Golden Wok is on the intersection of College Ave and Atherton, next to Zola and Taco Bell.

beachbound Newbie
Kimberly,

I actually haven't seen glutenfree4me products at Nature's pantry--I might not have been looking hard enough. Nevertheless, their selection is unparalled in State College. They are located on Rte 26 (College Ave). If you are going from campus heading east on College Ave, they are on the right hand side 1 block before you reach 322 in a complex with a pool table store.

Golden Wok is on the intersection of College Ave and Atherton, next to Zola and Taco Bell.

Nicole,

Thank you so mcuh. I will be up later this upcoming week and plan on hitting both places and Giant. Did you know that Giant doubles $1 items and Tripples them when there are tripplers in the paper. Just thought I'd let you know. It is really a nice savings, makes the 45 minute trip worth it and we are always up for the Penn State football games, although usually tailgating instead of shopping. We just run in and pick up a few items if we have time. Again Thanks so much for your help. I can't wait to have Chinese again!!!!

Kimberly

beachbound Newbie
Nicole,

Thank you so mcuh. I will be up later this upcoming week and plan on hitting both places and Giant. Did you know that Giant doubles $1 items and Tripples them when there are tripplers in the paper. Just thought I'd let you know. It is really a nice savings, makes the 45 minute trip worth it and we are always up for the Penn State football games, although usually tailgating instead of shopping. We just run in and pick up a few items if we have time. Again Thanks so much for your help. I can't wait to have Chinese again!!!!

Kimberly

Nicole

After I reread my post, I realized I didn't word it quite correctly. They double $1 coupons and tripple the $1 coupons during the week that the tripplers are in the paper. Sorry for any confusion!

Kimberly

NicoleAJ Enthusiast

Thanks for the tip, Kimberly. Every savings counts--especially when you're buying gluten free foods.

• 1 month later...
es2443 Contributor

I know this thread sort of died out but I just came back from a great week in State College. I stayed with my roommate and her family so they cooked at home most of the time (they made excellent gluten free meals and I never got sick) but I did go out to lunch one day and I had a wonderful experience at the restaurant so I wanted to share the info with all of you. We went to this little stir-fry restaurant called The Green Bowl. You basically make up your own plate of veggies and sauces (they have a very nice list of allergy free sauces) and then you choose what kind of meat you want and they whip it all together. I'm not sure how they used the grill and if it was sensitive to contamination but from what we saw it looked as though they just grill the meat. I ended up having an excellent chicken stir-fry with spinach, snow peas, zucchini, and sweet and sour sauce over rice. The atmosphere of this little place was cool too. I highly recommend it if you are ever in downtown State College. All of the workers knew what gluten was also, and they were very accomodating.

stef-the-kicking-cuty Enthusiast

Wow, how neat. I totall missed this thread. My parents-in-law live near Bellefonte and when I drive up there (60 minute drive), I always come through State College. So I will print out this thread and check out all those wonderful places, you've been writing about.

And yes, Wegman's supermarket has a glutenfree isle. I always shop there, when I visit my in-laws. :rolleyes:

Wow, how neat. I totall missed this thread. My parents-in-law live near Bellefonte and when I drive up there (60 minute drive), I always come through State College. So I will print out this thread and check out all those wonderful places, you've been writing about.

And yes, Wegman's supermarket has a glutenfree isle. I always shop there, when I visit my in-laws. :rolleyes:

I cannot wait till that store opens in Harrisburg next month. I always shop there when I go to Scranton to visit my parents.

stef-the-kicking-cuty Enthusiast

What? There's one opening in Harrisburg? THAT is even neater :lol: There's one opening (or has already opened) in Mechanicsburg, too. On Route 11...

Thats the one I am talking about, opens next month on the Carlisle Pike.

Archived